Soldato
Never thought I'd be doing a spec me thread but my current build has given up on me after 8 years and I don't have the time to tinker with it to fix whatever might be wrong, seems like a duff PSU but not 100% sure.

The current specs are/were:
Motherboard: ATX Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3, Socket: LGA1155, Chipset: Z68 Express
CPU: Core i7 2600K running at stock 3.4Ghz
RAM: 8GB (4 x 2GB) OCZ3P1600C9ELV4GK
Graphics Card: AMD RX480 4GB
HDDs/SSDs: 1 x Sandisk Ultra 2 512 SSD, Samsung 500GB HD502HJ, WD 2TB Green
Monitor: LG 4K IPS

I don't game but do edit photos and 4K video (Lightroom, Photoshop and Davinci Resolve), my current build was more than capable at the task. I will retain the current SSD and graphics card.

Looking to physically downsize so a Micro ATX motherboard will do along with a small case. I have no idea about current CPUs, RAM or motherboards so any help is appreciated.

Budget is between £500-£700

Thank you all.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The OP can re-use the CPU cooler and the PSU.
he could, but he didn't state what they were...
the PSU could be a no-name chinese brand waiting to take out the whole building...or it could be a seasonic titanium...who knows?
same with the cpu cooler...could be the stock intel or could be custom LN2...who knows?\

of course if he's got decent parts, then yeah, sure, reuse by all means. makes the build cheaper :)

also, this was what he said:
seems like a duff PSU but not 100% sure.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the quick response, I shall contemplate.

Current CPU cooler is a Noctua D14 (I think) and it is a beast, I no longer have the other mounts for it and would prefer to do away with it due to its size and weight.

The "Duff PSU" is a Corsair RM650i and I just discovered it carries a 10 year warranty.

Man of Honour
Current CPU cooler is a Noctua D14 (I think) and it is a beast, I no longer have the other mounts for it and would prefer to do away with it due to its size and weight.
115x mounts are all cross compatible, so will work with the newer intel LGA1151 CPUs :)
i wouldn't be so quick to throw that to one side as it's a beast of a cooler (performance and size)
its height is 160mm so should fit with most MATX cases
newer intels especially the 9900k/9700k runs hot with overclocking. so the D14 would be a good choice.

The "Duff PSU" is a Corsair RM650i and I just discovered it carries a 10 year warranty.
it does. check if it works though...if it doesn't then RMA it and save some £

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all your help and responses so far, I can confirm my PSU is dead.

I've ordered a new EVGA PSU whilst I arrange an RMA on the Corsair.

From what you've all said I think I should keep my 2600k going, providing nothing else is broken.

And yes the Noctua has kept my CPU running cool for nearly 9 years. I had no idea it was still among the best.

Soldato
OP
@tamzzy @Quartz Thank you to you both for the advice and assistance.

I've replaced the PSU and now back up and running. Granted it cost me a few hours of work and £35 for a PSU but far better than having to spend £750.

I'll get the RMA done on the Corsair and keep the EVGA as a backup.

Just need a new case now as all the fans on my Thermaltake Element G are dead. I've had it for 10 years purchased all the back in 2009.

Man of Honour
I've replaced the PSU and now back up and running. Granted it cost me a few hours of work and £35 for a PSU but far better than having to spend £750.
always nice to save a bit of cash! :D

Just need a new case now as all the fans on my Thermaltake Element G are dead. I've had it for 10 years purchased all the back in 2009.
if you're happy enough with the case, just get a fan bundle.
your case can have 2x 120mm fans up front and a 120mm fan at the rear.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £15.97 (includes shipping: £6.02)​

Back
Top Bottom