Spec me a Ryzen 4000 build

Associate
Hi folks,

I'm planning to build either a Ryzen 4000 or 3600 system, depending on price, when 4000 becomes available. I will be using the computer for playing world of warcraft (would like 144fps if poss) and some light photo editing only. I don't want to spend more than necessary. It'd be nice if the system looked good (RGB) as I always wanted to do that when younger but never managed to do so. I'd also like the system to be mid-tower or smaller so I can put it on my desk next to my monitor. If going RGB adds a huge amount of cost I won't bother and it will go on the floor under the table. It would be a big bonus if the system could be quiet. The quiet bit supersedes the colourful requirement if I can't have both.

I currently have
  • GTX 1070 FTW gfx card - will swap to 3070/80 when prices become saner in 6mon to 1year
  • Enermax 85+ psu - have lost cables that go with modular PSU, can they be purchased separately?
  • I plan to buy Dell S2721DGF monitor
I need everything else. Can you guys give me some views?

Thanks,
Dub

Last edited:
Associate
OP
PSU is quite old but has not had many hours use as mobo on my old pc gave up the ghost soon after I bought it and I have been using my work laptop every since. I was going to get a compressed air can to blow dust out of it.

I don't really have a specific budget but do need to try and keep costs down as much as possible really.

Man of Honour
Soldato
If you can, I'd suggest try getting an RTX 3070 when they release (15th October) for <£500 if wanna keep costs down.

It's supposed to be equivalent or thereabout 2080 Ti, so for WoW it'll not even sweat. Or even any other AAA games really.

@mickyflinn no CPU or is that intentional, assuming to add one when Zen 3 releases? :p

Man of Honour
Thanks very much for putting that together. Won't such a small case limit what i can do with it in the future in terms of graphics cards, coolers, etc?

Good review of that case here - love the fact that you can mount a rad in the hump on top!

https://youtu.be/2UvgHbxUlDk

You asked for mid tower or smaller so it can fit on your desk so I obliged, it' a spacious case as all the parts fit.

As for limitations guess bigger will give you some leway just change the case and motherboard if you want. They both have atx versions.

Soldato
You asked for mid tower or smaller so it can fit on your desk so I obliged, it' a spacious case as all the parts fit.

As for limitations guess bigger will give you some leway just change the case and motherboard if you want. They both have atx versions.
Wish i hadn't skimpt on case now, got a NZXT h510 and with Corsair H100X on front many of RTX 3080's won't fit.

Associate
OP
Hey thanks Mickeyflinn - I really appreciate you putting that together. The case does look really good! I think that's an awesome build.

Is that a similar size to NZXT H510? I think I prefer the one you specced and wouldn't have noticed it without you mentioning it. The bit I really like is the way you can shove a 2 fan rad up top in the hump.

Back
Top Bottom