Spec me a tripod

Soldato
Hi guys. Can anyone suggest a tripod with ballhead between about £130 and £300 that you think is very solid, as in, like putting my camera on a tabletop or concrete surface with zero vibration? I've worked out that the maximum weight I'll be putting on is up to 2kg. My tripod is some £20 job from pcworld many years ago. How embarrassing!

3 Legged Thing Punks Travis with Airhed Neo ballhead has been suggested to me by an owner of it on TP, and it's £129. Any good? I just need more opinions. FLM + head has also been recommended but I haven't been told what models.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My go to default is a Manfrotto 055Pro, with the clip lock. Aluminium for maximum stability.

It's not small, it is relatively cheap, can holds a lot more than 2kg. Itself weights more than 2kg. Head wise, there are lots of choices, I have to say that don't go overboard, like this ballhead I have...it's OTT for your needs, and mind.

peY0VGJ.jpg

This ballhead is perfectly adequate.

cvKDBo7.jpg

My old Manfrotto 055 pro with a pan and tilt head. Everything extended.

RelwONN.jpg

It's not small even when compacted though. Some size comparisons between the Manfrotto to my travel and the Gitzo (medium size which a lot of people consider small)

s2Qmvqk.png

O4If4wb.jpg

NvpDvnZ.jpg

Here is the little one in Malmo with the 5D3 sideways.

pns45Qg.png

5PKvkLT.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major brands, look at size when compacted. Look at max height without centre column extended, look at the style of locks. Some comes with a hook in the centre column, some don't, I added one to my Gitzo, 3rd party from eBay. tbh, I seldom use the hook.

You got to think about how you use it, the reason I have 3 is because they are for different jobs.

1 - If I have my car, I always take the Manfrotto, it's heavy but with the car weight is not a problem.

2 - If size is most important, I take the smallest one and not a professional job. This sacrifice on extended height.

3 - If I can carry it, say on a flight for a job, I'd Gitzo. This has the height, stability but it's a little larger when compacted. But it's also like £700.

Soldato
OP
Excellent pics of your tripods Raymond, I've enjoyed looking at the quality of your photos as much as the tripods themselves. Love the finish on the Gitzo. As you've no doubt now seen on TP, I've just gone ahead and bought the carbon fibre Manfrotto Befree GT Travel and it arrives tuesday or wednesday. It's 1.5kg. I must admit I would have liked the 2.5kg weight of the Manfrotto 190X for a feeling of more stability and resistance to movement but it just wasn't short enough when closed.

Caporegime
Excellent pics of your tripods Raymond, I've enjoyed looking at the quality of your photos as much as the tripods themselves. Love the finish on the Gitzo. As you've no doubt now seen on TP, I've just gone ahead and bought the carbon fibre Manfrotto Befree GT Travel and it arrives tuesday or wednesday. It's 1.5kg. I must admit I would have liked the 2.5kg weight of the Manfrotto 190X for a feeling of more stability and resistance to movement but it just wasn't short enough when closed.

that’s a solid choice, essential Manfrotto’s version of the Gitzo Traveller at like 1/3rd of the price.

Soldato
Hope your happy with it. Sounds like a good choice. I have the 190 X but had to throw the pan and tilt head away:( I ended up placing a gimble on it. I also have the Three legged Thing (EVO3 Punks) VYV which I use more often due to it's portability/sturdiness and compactness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4oZ0wE5NDU

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hope your happy with it. Sounds like a good choice. I have the 190 X but had to throw the pan and tilt head away:( I ended up placing a gimble on it. I also have the Three legged Thing (EVO3 Punks) VYV which I use more often due to it's portability/sturdiness and compactness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4oZ0wE5NDU

Thanks, yeah, hopefully I'll be happy with it, I'm sure it'll be good. How are you finding the Three Legged Thing? Sounds like it's very solid from what you said. I know yours is a different model, but I was seeing mixed opinions on the Travis about the ballhead not staying as tight as it should and prone to slight drooping, and some flex in the legs. I wanted the Travis though because it looks so nice with the blue and gold bits. :p

Soldato
The head is fine as long as you don't place anything heavier than the 90mm macro on it or the Loawa 100mm-that's about it's limit. I'm amazed the specs state the legs can take 20kg. Incidentally I have the Tamron 24-75 f2.8 you are thinking of upgrading to. Stunning for early morning/evening and night-time use.

Soldato
OP
The head is fine as long as you don't place anything heavier than the 90mm macro on it or the Loawa 100mm-that's about it's limit. I'm amazed the specs state the legs can take 20kg. Incidentally I have the Tamron 24-75 f2.8 you are thinking of upgrading to. Stunning for early morning/evening and night-time use.

I've looked at so many lenses recently I can't remember what Tamron I was thinking about. :D As I'm after a wide angle, I've considered the Sony 16-50mm f3.5-5.6 which people say is rubbish, but I've seen a great photo on this forum with that lens, and it's only £89.

I'm also considering this 16-70 f4 Sony Carl Zeiss lens now.

Mixed opinions on it from people. Some say it's great, some say it's flawed with soft focus areas and that there are several with a decentering issue.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...io-tessar-t-e-16-70mm-f-4-za-oss/sku-1044887/

Says it has some several marks to the front element that apparently don't affect image quality. I don't know if that's true or not?

Soldato
OP
Oops! senior moment on my part. I thought you meant the 28-75. Anyway, it's amazingly good and worthy of consideration: https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/uk/reviews/tamron-28-75mm-f28-di-iii-rxd-review

Lol, no worries. :) Looks great. And it's nice to get recommendations from people such as yourself as there's not too many people posting in this forum. Thing is, I'm looking for something fairly wide angled at the shortest end like 16mm, because on an aps-c that will translate to 24mm. And although the camera I'm buying has IBIS, I'm not sure how great the IBIS is from what I've learnt, so would prefer to buy lenses with steady shot.

Caporegime
My advice on lenses is a simple 2 step process

1 - If you can get results with what you have, use it.
2 - if you don’t, ie a totally different focal length required, and you are SURE it will get used or confident if your ability to make the most use out of it, get one of the best one, avoid the middle tier lenses.

So, it’s fine having a kit lens and an all purpose zoom. It’s good having a nifty 50. They are cheap, they are built okay and to a price.

The next lens, and this is just my opinion, when you upgrade, so going from a kit zoom, I’d go the 2.8 zooms, it doesn’t need to be an L, GM etc as Sigma and Tamron makes great 3rd party lenses. I avoid all F/4 zooms as I always found them wanting when using them. The majority of them are not that sharp, they don’t render as nice and I always feel like there is something better (and there is).

I know gear is fun but the best thing you can do is use what you have, the kind of photos you want to take are not improved by more lenses, when you find yourself that the gear is holding you back, that’s when it’s time to upgrade.

Soldato
OP
My advice on lenses is a simple 2 step process

1 - If you can get results with what you have, use it.
2 - if you don’t, ie a totally different focal length required, and you are SURE it will get used or confident if your ability to make the most use out of it, get one of the best one, avoid the middle tier lenses.

So, it’s fine having a kit lens and an all purpose zoom. It’s good having a nifty 50. They are cheap, they are built okay and to a price.

The next lens, and this is just my opinion, when you upgrade, so going from a kit zoom, I’d go the 2.8 zooms, it doesn’t need to be an L, GM etc as Sigma and Tamron makes great 3rd party lenses. I avoid all F/4 zooms as I always found them wanting when using them. The majority of them are not that sharp, they don’t render as nice and I always feel like there is something better (and there is).

I know gear is fun but the best thing you can do is use what you have, the kind of photos you want to take are not improved by more lenses, when you find yourself that the gear is holding you back, that’s when it’s time to upgrade.

Yeah, I'd prefer 2.8 lenses, but they're generally too pricey for me I think. There's a reasonably priced Sigma 17-70mm f2.8 but unfortunately for Sony A mount and not for E mount.

I agree with you though, it's definitely more about the operator to get good photos than the gear. I'm actually only looking for two lenses for the Sony camera. One zoom lens which will be the 70-350mm, and now I just need a wide angle/walkabout lens. I might end up just buying the 16-50mm kit lens and see how I get on. i mean it's only £89 so worth a shot and after all, I was impressed with the photo I saw of the person using that lens.

Soldato
OP
@Merlin5 I think you'll find Raymond's advice recommended by everybody on here. :)

Oh absolutely! I bought my 5d mk2 on his recommendation and I'm keeping it, it's great! :) He's given me lots of invaluable advice. The only thing he told me that I haven't really heeded yet is not to diversify too much on different styles of photography. However, being new to this, I'm like a kid in a sweet shop and have been trying a few different things, from landscape to architecture, to the moon, birds and animals. :D

Soldato
If you're on a budget and can wait for delivery from China

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32693427814.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4daIdARh

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000346514897.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4daIdARh

I have both of these and pretty happy with them for what they each cost especially for the carbon fibre one, only negative I'd say is adjusting it is an inconvenience would rather quick release but I guess it's the price to pay for budget

Also I would say don't bother with ball head, get a geared head instead - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32888715538.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4daIdARh

Associate

Hi, any updates on the Manfrotto Befree GT? I’m thinking of buying one

Soldato
OP
If you're on a budget and can wait for delivery from China

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32693427814.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4daIdARh

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000346514897.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4daIdARh

I have both of these and pretty happy with them for what they each cost especially for the carbon fibre one, only negative I'd say is adjusting it is an inconvenience would rather quick release but I guess it's the price to pay for budget

Also I would say don't bother with ball head, get a geared head instead - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32888715538.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4daIdARh

Yes I was going to get an Arca Swiss clamp but actually I'm happy enough with the quick release plate.

Hi, any updates on the Manfrotto Befree GT? I’m thinking of buying one

Hi, yep, got mine and I love it. Very premium feeling, so quick and easy to adjust leg heights and angles. I actually like having screw lock legs, I know a lot prefer the click locks. And the tripod looks great as well.

I bought an additional Manfrotto quick release plate for £20 because the one that comes with it has a lip on it which only allows Sony cameras to fit. It's a bit annoying having to buy a plate, because it's the same only without the lip, and I would think the lip is probably not even necessary for the Sony cameras. Definitely recommend it though.

Back
Top Bottom