Spec me an island/lake getaway in Europe

Soldato
The girlfriend and I want to escape in the middle of May, preferably in some sunshine. It's a busy time at work though so probably just looking at a long weekend (well maybe Thurs-Mon).

I'm thinking somewhere along the style of Lake Garda which we went to a few years ago. Just somewhere nice by the waterside, with a few nice restaurants, somewhere that feels a bit away from it all.

I was looking at Croatia. We stayed in Cavtat (a boat ride away from Dubrovnik) before which was nice. Any islands that are easy to get to from Split perhaps? Also looking at Greece, we went to Paros the other year which was gorgeous. She's suggested Mykonos but I fear it'd be way more pricey and a bit like "Disneyland" compared to Paros.

Oh, given it's a short trip, travel can't be too convoluted... Thanks!

Soldato
I took a bit of a fancy to Essaouira, Morocco (not europe, but close) last time I was looking up interesting places to go for short breaks (probably better to wait until the kids are old enough to leave behind). Direct flights from Luton last I checked.

Last edited:
Soldato
as you've mentioned Paros have you been to Santorini....been to both twice and would highly recommend either. though Santorini can be much more popular it's still a nice enough island if you can avoid the touristy traps

Soldato
OP
as you've mentioned Paros have you been to Santorini....been to both twice and would highly recommend either. though Santorini can be much more popular it's still a nice enough island if you can avoid the touristy traps
I'm very put off Santorini and Mykonos if I'm honest. I feel like we've seen the best of "them" from Paros although I'm happy to be proven wrong. Mykonos is more tempting due to direct flights from LHR (our nearest airport). Perhaps if we can find somewhere a bit out of the way... at first glance all the hotels look crazy expensive, even in May.

I second Lake Como, especially Bellagio/Tremezzo area. It's a bit of a pain to get to from Milan, if not driving, but definitely worth it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sameermannick/albums/72157648442933167
How would one get from Milan to Como? Those photos look lovely.

Soldato
I'm very put off Santorini and Mykonos if I'm honest. I feel like we've seen the best of "them" from Paros although I'm happy to be proven wrong. Mykonos is more tempting due to direct flights from LHR (our nearest airport). Perhaps if we can find somewhere a bit out of the way... at first glance all the hotels look crazy expensive, even in May.
fair point but Santorini (can't comment on Mykonos) has a lot to offer especially if take some of the tours available, Akrotiri ruins, hot springs, volcano hiking, black sand beach tours (takes you to specific beaches that are highly rated) wine tasting tour (highly recommended btw!) to name but a few and a quick look on Booking.com shows some decent hotels/apartments for reasonable money in may.

e.g.
apartment very close to kamari beach
hotel on perissa beach

Soldato

How would one get from Milan to Como? Those photos look lovely.

Thank you. The scenery makes it easy. If driving, then it's only 90 minutes from Milan to say Bellagio (60 mins to Como). If not, take the direct train from Milan to Como, then take the ferry to Bellagio or one of the other lakeside towns - all gorgeous and peaceful (May was shoulder season). I think this journey took at least 3h, and was awkward as I had a suitcase + hand luggage with me.

Caporegime
Cyprus in May is beautiful, warm but not scorchingly hot as it very much is later in the summer, plus it’s a sea of colour which soon disappears come June when the island becomes almost desert like, easily accessible from Greece, if Cyprus is too far a jaunt, the same applies to Crete pretty much.

Back
Top Bottom