Spec me an LED Torch

Man of Honour
Average price of £20 to £30 for a torch sporting around 210 lumens max with a zoomable head so is not ever going to shine as far or as strongly as a fixed head one. The bodies look like the UltraFire/SureFire/Trustfire build quality which isn't really a bad thing as many of those will last and are waterproof but I would never pay that kind of price for such a low output torch using old generation LEDs.

You can get a lot better for a lot less.

Soldato
Average price of £20 to £30 for a torch sporting around 210 lumens max with a zoomable head so is not ever going to shine as far or as strongly as a fixed head one. The bodies look like the UltraFire/SureFire/Trustfire build quality which isn't really a bad thing as many of those will last and are waterproof but I would never pay that kind of price for such a low output torch using old generation LEDs.

You can get a lot better for a lot less.

Thanks for info, can you recommend some good torches? I'm looking for a compact torch for work, I'm an electrician and visit some dark, dingy places especially when the power is out :D

Soldato
I decided to go for a Convoy S3 black Cree XML2 U2-1A EDC LED.
Seems a nice size for what I want and with a xm-l2 should be plenty bright enough.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Convoy-s3-18650-edc-small-hard-oxygen-t6-u2-strong-light-flashlight/330416_826041434.html

Just hope it lasts, because my £12 c8, was awesome at the start but after a few months the batt got all loose and was never as bright as it was, but that might be down to having a rubbish 18650 batt. That was the other reason I bought the EA41 because it takes 4 AA batts and still produces a insanely bright beam.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
As an electrician you'd want something that can clip on to your person or "something" no doubt so a belt clip accessory is ideal.

Perhaps then something like this:

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=LF&s=67&id=614

Price is very decent! I checked out others I've had experience with in the past and it seems both Thrunite/JetBeam etc have increased prices.

Soldato
I forgot to reply,

Not too expensive, it's only for work but it would be nice to have something compact yet powerful with a nice white light.
I'd say maximum around £50.

Could put it on my Xmas list :D

Any ideas?

Nitecore EA41 960lumens, runs of 4x AA batts and lasts roughly 2hrs on high mode. £59 from most sites, including their own site.

There is a 2015 version of the EA41 slightly more powerful of 1020lumens, theres not meny sites that stock the 2015 version yet tho.

Edit: I am recommending this because the reflector is larger then most other torches around this price, as I cannot stand these small torches you get nowadays, I like a decent size one, maybe I am old fashioned. The other reason I am recommending it to you, is I have just got one, well its a xmas present, but I had a play with it for a few mins and it seems like a real good light for £60.

Heres a vid review of the EA41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81xIkkiWGSc

Last edited:
Man of Honour
xpl-v3.jpg

The XP-L V3 1030lumens arrived today,. The beam/spot pattern is as expected, exactly the same as the XM-L U2, the brightness difference negligible really, maybe a shade brighter as the old one was 980 lumens. Still, I got it for the increased efficiency not the brightness so it is just as bright as the old U2 but will keep the battery lasting longer :D

Soldato
I can't believe I had an addiction to buying torches. I spent £300 odd on one not long ago! The one I use all the time is £1 (single AA/14500 Mini 300LM CREE Q5)

Soldato
Ordered, Happy Christmas to me.

Niiiiccceee...... I wish I could spend £100 on a torch.. But to be honest with that beast of a torch, I would wrorry of blinding the chickens when I shut them away at night, or anyone Id accidently shine in there eyes:eek:

Also what do you think of the EA41 as Ive just bought one for my Xmas present?

Last edited:
Permabanned
LED Lenser 8307 M7 Micro Processor Torch
£58 down to £23

Rainforest site

Looks like a good buy, 4xAAA, 400? lumens, nicely made.
At £23 you are probably getting your money's worth, rather than paying another £35 for kudos, marketing and some nice O rings.

I wish lensor would stop messing about with AAA's and make a few more nice ones with AA's or 18650.

Last edited:
Soldato
LED Lenser 8307 M7 Micro Processor Torch
£58 down to £23

Rainforest site

Looks like a good buy, 4xAAA, 400? lumens, nicely made.
At £23 you are probably getting your money's worth, rather than paying another £35 for kudos, marketing and some nice O rings.

I wish lensor would stop messing about with AAA's and make a few more nice ones with AA's or 82650.

That's a good buy for that price! I am seriously tempted but I have a Lenser P7 and that M7 really isn't worth the hassle to "upgrade" to.....

What would people recommend as an upgrade to LED Lenser P7? I paid around £40 for it ages ago but could do with something brighter and further lumination distance. I have looked in this thread and Google'd but I am going cross eyed now so taking the lazy option and asking :cool: Thanks.

Permabanned
^^
Those triple XML jobs from China must have dropped in price by now?

Actually I've always preferred flood over distance, the reflector is smaller and you are not burning your eyeballs looking at a bright spot on the ground, which you then can't see anyway because it is just a pure white spot of light.

Back
Top Bottom