Spec me an LED Torch

Soldato
Nifty, good chance to see some olight quality. I'll order one for somebody I know who has to stumble across some steps in the dark every day. Theres 10% for newsletter signup, didnt check other prices but I ordered the blf torch mentioned above via paypal as the price seems very fair and review shots show it as very usable, always disliked the strobe mode even briefly

U1A3BsT.png

Soldato
^^ received, I not got a chance to examine it personally but anything close to 100 lumens on a keyring should prove useful

Astrolux FT03 XHP50.2 4300lm
They just told me 3 weeks later its out of stock lol but they should catch up at some point
Best battery I have is nitecore nl186 which isnt anywhere close to 16amps I would need to power that torch at best? So I need to look at what I can use with it anyway, unprotected battery should be fine. I think I have saved a suitable panasonic to order on amazon, what high discharge batteries are people using ?

I will take the opportunity to buy a 21700 maybe since I have the olight universal charger. Btw this revived a 18650 laptop battery panasonic that had 0.3v on it left for years unworking unrecognised by normal charger, seems to basically work without any heat though just 3.8 volts now.

Soldato
Has anyone bought one of those ultra-powerful LED torches? How do they fair? I want to go for a nighttime hike and was thinking about testing out a new torch at the same time.

Soldato
The Astrolux MF01 18x XP-G3 looks like a pretty good bet. I might save up for it and see how it performs. 3.5hrs at 12000 lumens is pretty sweet and I already have the batteries that it takes.

Soldato
Only 550g, so long as you dont mind that weight in your hand on a hike plus the battery. It can last 200 minutes on 12k lumens seems incredible
(Sumsang 30Q 20A Power Battery Recommended)

On the really expensive torches if I was taking it everywhere, I want it good enough to drop in a river and be ok really. Maybe its asking too much but I just know I'll drop it sometime at the worst time

Soldato
When I first saw one of these it was under £250 and I really wanted one, for the sheer insanity... then they came out with the 6,000 lumen version... then I found other, better ones. Currently considering one that does 32,000 lumens and is the size of a Coke can. It will even fit the 'flashlight' pouch on my work bag, here...

I paid a tad too much for my nitecore tm26, about £350 just over a year ago, but ever since I saw the TinyMonster lights a few years ago I wanted one, as I really like the look of them. So when I came into a bit of money, I thought what the hell and bought one,,,,,,, I probably wont ever spend that amount of money on a light again.

Soldato
Whats everyones opinions of the LedLenser P14? Looks to tick all the boxes for me (focusable beam with clean light).

I bought the P14.2 for my dad a few years ago, Its quite a basic torch with 3 modes, (1push of the tail cap "high mode"..... 2 push of the tail cap "low mode"........ 3 push of the tail cap "off"..... push and hold tail cap "turbo")

The main reason I bought this was because its large, with a nice big tail cap button so great for using with gloves on, and it takes 4x AA batteries that lasts a fair while. The only thing I dont like, is the beam adjustment when you move the head of the light, because as soon ad you stand it on its head, the head moves and the beam is altered.

I cant really say if its decent or not, because going to the P14.2 after using my tm26, its just thumbs down in every way... So its a tad unfair me commenting on the p14.2 so I'll let others comment on it.

A good light to look at though is the nitecore EA41.... Its slightly more expensive then the P14 but its better, giving out a nice pure white light as I dont like the blue tint that the P14 gives out, also its much more powerful then the P14, even though both lights run off 4x aa batteries.

The EA41 light was my first LED light I had ever bought accept for a dirt cheap Chinese light that lasted me 5mins..
The main reasons for buying the EA41 .......It ran off 4x AA batteries, its not tiny to hold in the hand with a decent size reflector, its nice and bright with a good flood fill, and it stands on its tail making it great for when you have powercuts. Also its not a overly expensive either, I had the light a good 3yrs before upgrading to the tm26,.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought the P14.2 for my dad a few years ago, Its quite a basic torch with 3 modes, (1push of the tail cap "high mode"..... 2 push of the tail cap "low mode"........ 3 push of the tail cap "off"..... push and hold tail cap "turbo")

The main reason I bought this was because its large, with a nice big tail cap button so great for using with gloves on, and it takes 4x AA batteries that lasts a fair while. The only thing I dont like, is the beam adjustment when you move the head of the light, because as soon ad you stand it on its head, the head moves and the beam is altered.

I cant really say if its decent or not, because going to the P14.2 after using my tm26, its just thumbs down in every way... So its a tad unfair me commenting on the p14.2 so I'll let others comment on it.

A good light to look at though is the nitecore EA41.... Its slightly more expensive then the P14 but its better, giving out a nice pure white light as I dont like the blue tint that the P14 gives out, also its much more powerful then the P14, even though both lights run off 4x aa batteries.

The EA41 light was my first LED light I had ever bought accept for a dirt cheap Chinese light that lasted me 5mins..
The main reasons for buying the EA41 .......It ran off 4x AA batteries, its not tiny to hold in the hand with a decent size reflector, its nice and bright with a good flood fill, and it stands on its tail making it great for when you have powercuts. Also its not a overly expensive either, I had the light a good 3yrs before upgrading to the tm26,.
I think the P14 is a newer version of the p14.2, the problem I have with nitecore torches is they have ridiculous hotspots in the middle of the beam which makes it nigh on useless for what I use it for, I need a clean light which can be focused also, I have the LEDlenser 7 which is great but battery life with AAA is not great, like 30min-1h at best if you're lucky. I haven't really found any torch that gives a cleaner light with adjustable focus than the p7, but the battery life makes it inadequate. I've had a tiny monster and while it's incredibly bright, the light is really uneven and the hotspot made it unsable for what I use torches for! I'd love something as powerful that had adjustable focus and a cleaner light but I just cant find it!

Soldato
Soldato
They were a rip-off at £250, TBH... Now they've gotten ridiculously priced anyway, but you can get several times more torch for the same or even less cash now, which makes them utterly irrelevant.
TBH, my Nitecore TUP will soon be equally irrelevant, as other companies do something similar but better. Nitecore come out with fantastic product ideas, concepts and proofs of viability, which probably makes them a market leader in terms of innovation and is what keeps them afloat... but so many of their products are eventually done better by other companies, it seems.

You couldnt get many 3000-4000lms lights when the tiny monster's were released, so £250-£300 for just about the best you could buy back then wasnt that bad at all. The old tiny monster lights has just increased in value over the years, but I dont think anywhere sells the tm26 now. But its still a dam good light even though you can get better and cheaper now.... I love the floodyness of the light and how bright it is even at low power, with its nice white led's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom