1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spec me and some friends a Day in Berlin

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Feek, 21 Aug 2018.

1. Feek

Commissario

Myself and a bunch of (what I'll loosely call) friends are off to Berlin for a weekend and we've got nothing really arranged for Saturday daytime yet.

We'll be dragging ourselves out of our pits with headaches (except for the one who drinks nothing but tea) and after breakfast we'll be looking for stuff to do until the evening when our entertainment is arranged.

Don't ask me where the hotel is, I've got no idea.

The tags may make it look as though this isn't serious but it actually is a genuine request - What is there to do in Berlin for a day?

2. Maccapacca

Tea

Plan world domination?

3. Maccy

Commissario

Build a wall?

4. Marvt74

Capodecina

I'm a fan of all your tags!

My main suggestion would be to head to Alexanderplatz and go up the tv tower for a few drinks and enjoy the views.

Anything Wall related is gonna be way too heavy on a hangover!

5. Hilly

Don

Ok Donald.

6. Efour

Caporegime

Take cash.... And be prepared to hemorrhage said cash.

7. Scam

Capodecina

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2013/nov/29/a-day-in-kreuzberg-berlin

Failing that, head to the East Side gallery to tick the wall of your list (it's where most of the famous graffiti'd bits are), cross the bridge and wander around Kreuzberg. Have some good coffee and lunch and you'll be golden.

EDIT: Didn't realise Templehof airport is around there. That's pretty impressive to see.

Yeah for some reason ze German's don't really take credit cards anywhere :confused: Highly annoying.

8. sigma

Capodecina

So many options that it really depends on what you want to do...

9. Feek

Commissario

I've had that experience before. I went into a restaurant in Gütersloh and the first thing I asked was if they take cards. I was told yes so I had a meal, including a few drinks. When I went to pay with the company MasterCard, I was told that they didn't take it. I tried with my personal Visa and was told the same thing.
    It turned out that they accepted debit cards on German banks only. I had no cash so they were quite happy to tell me where the nearest cash machine was and let me go to take some cash out and come back to pay them. Of course I did exactly that and when I went there again a few days later they remembered me and checked if I had cash :)

10. Feek

Commissario

We want to have a good time, see some of the local sights and partake in some light refreshments, probably alcoholic and no doubt a bite to eat at lunchtime.

11. Scam

Capodecina

It's an aversion to debt actually. Hence why debit cards are more common.

12. Feek

Commissario

Thanks, sadly only twenty are allowed otherwise there would be more :D

That's a good idea and one we've already thought about, along with the Reichstag building.

I agree.

13. Scam

Capodecina

Honestly we stayed near Alexanderplatz and didn't think much of it. It's a bit like Leicester Square only massive. There's a big C&A (!!) and alot of tourists. By all accounts the Sky Tower is rather tedious too, we didn't even bother. Head to Kreuzberg and embrace your inner hipster.

14. Rotty

Don

That's going to be annoying to try and judge how much needed for a night out in advance

15. Marvt74

Capodecina

For the record, i had no issues paying on my Halifax Clarity when i was in Berlin.

Reichstag building is also very good. The glass toppy bit is amazing.

16. Rotty

Don

Clarity was my plan

17. Lopéz

Man of Honour

I've had this too, in Bonn - both times with Mastercard. One was at a restaurant, the other at a hotel. The €20 cheeseburger was easily sorted, the €300 hotel bill less so!

18. Super Tigers

Wise Guy

19. Feek

Commissario

I'm planning on taking a Revolut and a Monzo card which I think are both Mastercards. What's the Clarity? If we can't pay by card then there's bound to be a way to get cash somewhere and I expect you'll go with a pocket full of Euros anyway :)

20. seabiscuit

OcUK Staff

Go to Caseking and buy lods of upgrades! :D