A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
We want to have a good time, see some of the local sights and partake in some light refreshments, probably alcoholic and no doubt a bite to eat at lunchtime.
Bicycle tour will give you all of that.

Fat Tire Tours - Berlin City Bike Tour is the one I did a few months ago and highly recommended. Think it was from 1pm-5pm. Berlin is flat so cycling is fun. The bikes are comfy too. You get to see ALL the important places, the guide was full of knowledge, and half way you stop off at a local German restaurant in the middle of a park to grab some German food and beer.

It was perfect as got to see everything we wanted in a day and had fun doing it. Seriously, this is what you should do.

Don
I'm planning on taking a Revolut and a Monzo card which I think are both Mastercards. What's the Clarity? If we can't pay by card then there's bound to be a way to get cash somewhere and I expect you'll go with a pocket full of Euros anyway :)

Clarity is a credit card which gives full exchange rate and no charges

Actually don't have any euros at moment and don't want a load left over as all planned trips for next 18 months minimum are not in eurozone places

Soldato
Alexanderplatz is ok but you need to book in advance or get there super early to go up the TV tower and not wait hours, nice big shopping centre and stuff though if you just want a mooch around.

Worth seeing the Brandenburg gate and also the memorial to the murdered jews of europe as it's just round the corner from there.

The Berlin Wall memorial on Bernauer street is really interesting too, nice viewing platform in the middle which is free to go up and gives a good view (free toilets downstairs too which is a bonus)

The west Berlin zoo is also really good, it's in the far end of Tiergarten park.

Boat trip on the river is good too, can get them from outside the DDR museum next to museum island, you'll go past the Reichstag and stuff.

Associate
I'm planning on taking a Revolut and a Monzo card which I think are both Mastercards.
I was in NE Germany last week and primarily used my Revolut card.

I find most places accept Visa/Mastercard these days and most of those accept contactless too. There is however a minority of places that don't. More annoying is when you ask if they take cards to which they say yes only to find out later they meant EC Cards (the native debit cards).

Soldato
I've been to Berlin a few times with work recently and used my company credit card (Visa) for the entire trip without issue. Everything from Taxi's to and from the airport, restaurants and incidentals at shops without issue. The only thing we've had an issue with is a Taxi driver saying yes to taking card only to claim his machine wouldn't work once at the airport but that's been a one-off and thankfully wasn't while I was present as I don't carry cash.

For burgers I liked going to Peter Pane's, things to do there is the obvious TV Tower and you can go up the dome in the Reichstag too and see the Bradenburg gate.

Caporegime
Go to a resort called Artemis. You want to spend at least 6 hours here. It has a cinema, swimming pool, sauna, bar, etc. Costs 150 euros just to get in so don't go too late when your hammered. You want to enjoy it.

Commissario
€150 just to get into a place?! Do you have to pay extra for the cinema, pool and drinks too?!

Oh I just googled it...

Soldato
Distrikt (Mitte) is really good for breakfast, plus their coffee is probably the best in Berlin imo. The Bird (Prenzlauer Berg) is a good burger joint with a decent choice of beers and they do some ridiculously spicy chicken wings if you're a fan of spicy food, or Konnopke's Imbiss (Schonhauser Allee) is a tasty currywurst and bratwurst food stall under the train line. In terms of stuff to do, it depends what you're into really. Museum Island is good if you like museums, plus there's tourist sites like the Brandenburg Gate, the Reichstag, etc. Personally I don't think it's worth bothering with Checkpoint Charlie and the Wall, it's a massive tourist trap and I thought it was a bit disappointing.

Caporegime
Oh make sure you get a kebab there, they're like 500x better than anything you'll ever have had from the UK.
Lol this is true. I was there for 4 days and we had a kebab for dinner on 3 of those. Such good quality.
Also had some of the best pizza I've had in an Italian place kinda near Brandenburg gate and a posh shopping street. Just cheese and basil perfectly cooked, balanced, oily but crisp. Yum.

Back
Top Bottom