Spec me Guitar Amp

Permabanned
Well your best bet is to try out as many as possible really. Valves can be replaced if needed, and people will tell you they should really be changed ever 6 months. I haven't changed since I bought mine 2 years ago though and it still sounds fine to me. Your best having a look at google to find out the various arguments between valve amps and solid state ones (and hybrids of the 2). It is generally accepted that valve amps produce a warmer and more pleasing tone. It all so much depends on what you are playing into it though.

About the Hot Rod Deluxe - It had 2 independent channels (with additional boost on the dirty), much the same as any other amp in that price range. It also has headphone, extension and FX loop sockets. IMO it has the best clean tone in its price range, a great crunch channel as well, and when used with pedals, you can get any tone you like out of it to a great standard. The only thing I would say is that if you are looking for metal "Out of the box", it probably isn't for you. If you are only after one singular crunch sound, you are better off with one of the Marshalls as well.

I'm not really sure about websites with samples on, google might give you a few. Both these tracks were recorded using a Gibson SG > Boss DS1 or BD2 > Amp

http://www.geko-online.co.uk/songs/newbc.mp3

http://www.geko-online.co.uk/songs/newigs.mp3

Soldato
OP
after a lot of searching im now looking at heads and cabs...

anyone with any good idea of the marshall avt150x amp head?

there is a package with that and Marshall AVT412X A 4x12" 200W Speaker Cabinet on a musical website for £476...

is that any good...

also what are the marshall vavlestate amps like?

i keep looking back at the hot rod deluxe... but after reading reviews am not sure it will be powerful enough.. although i bet it sounds great... a lot of people say that it doesnt give as much overdrive. i am looking for something i can very rarely whack the power up and play some really nasty rock/metal.

so confused :confused:

Permabanned
lemonkettaz said:
after a lot of searching im now looking at heads and cabs...

anyone with any good idea of the marshall avt150x amp head?

there is a package with that and Marshall AVT412X A 4x12" 200W Speaker Cabinet on a musical website for £476...

is that any good...

also what are the marshall vavlestate amps like?

They are a hybrid of a solidstate/tube amp. Personally, I'd go with a DSL401 combo and a 2X12 extension cab. That way you've got a really great and practical amp that you can get extra beef out of if you are gigging. If you are looking at spending the amount of money you are, I honestly thing you are better getting "The" sound rather than the power of 200W that I seriously doubt you will ever use. As I said before, I've never gone past 4 on a 40watt tube amp. Most live venues will mic you up to the PA system, meaning all you actually need is enough to hear yourself over the drummer (about 1.5 on my amp)

lemonkettaz said:
i keep looking back at the hot rod deluxe... but after reading reviews am not sure it will be powerful enough.. although i bet it sounds great... a lot of people say that it doesnt give as much overdrive. i am looking for something i can very rarely whack the power up and play some really nasty rock/metal.

so confused :confused:

If you're looking at real nasty rock/metal out of the box, the HRD isn't the amp for you to be honest.

Soldato
OP
yeh.. i was going to look up soundslive in newcastle...

im not buying yet.. but will be in a few weeks... but for sure i will be going up with me tele :p

i feel like a proper n00b... i didnt realise you can connect a cab to a combo amp? how does that work for the extra power needed for the cab?

Permabanned
lemonkettaz said:
i feel like a proper n00b... i didnt realise you can connect a cab to a combo amp? how does that work for the extra power needed for the cab?

You don't need any :) No cab that I've ever used has needed to be powered, and I'm sure the DSL401 has an extension out socket. I'm sure someone here will have one and be able to confirm that. You could pick up a 401 for under 400 quid, then in a couple of months pick up a JCM900 1936 2X12 cab for about 150 quid on ebay, should you need the extra.

Soldato
OP
i cant use ebay... because i cant make a paypal account.. as ive had one then cancelled it and it doesnt allow the same account registered twice or something :p

but there is a good advertiser website with a green paper thats out every week... although i cant remember the name of it.

whats the difference between the DSL series and the TSL?

Soldato
OP
DLS....TSL?

there is a tsl 602 in the local paper for £450... 6month old apparently...

they retail at 599-670 new...

worth it for say 400 if i can get the guy to bring the price down?

Permabanned
lemonkettaz said:
DLS....TSL?

there is a tsl 602 in the local paper for £450... 6month old apparently...

they retail at 599-670 new...

worth it for say 400 if i can get the guy to bring the price down?

Bargain for £450 let alone £400. As long as its all in good order, I would bite his arm off :D

I believe the TSL series has 3 channels whereas the DSL's have 2. Seriously though for 450 quid, the DSL602 is a bargain.

Edit : missread the post. for £450 a TSL602 is even better value

Soldato
OP
hmmm....

i bet its broke ... or coffee stains all over...think ill give the guy a bell now... or on the morning.

it definitely says marshall tsl 602

lol am glad me mam got the last paper.... ive been looking at several sites on it and it seems good... so i doubt he will go lower than 450

ill reply whenever there are developments :p, might be able to get it this week if all goes well....ill try not to hype myself up :p

Soldato
OP
phoned him up...

going to see the guy tomorrow... its like a 100mile away but ive phoned me dad he will take me after he finishes work...

lol.. where i work (part time) the rota goes up sometime before friday before the new week starts which is a friday... it isnt up yet... so if i find out tonight im at work tomorrow.... who isnt going into work tomorrow :p

its shocking how they can leave the rota til a thursday night for the new week commencing friday... but thats another story.

i might be giving the street a performance tomorrow with a new/2nd hand marshall tsl 602!!

hope its all good and not kaput. wish me luck... ill post pictures in the gear thread if i get my dirty hands on it

Soldato
OP
change of plan...
since the amp was tattered to ...., looks wise.. and i know its not all about looks, but this is me first good amp in since years and i was left a little low if you get me.. but it sounded class... amazing overdrive on it... was surprised at the clean as well.. very good sounding. playing acdc through that just completely embarrased my little practice amp :p... humiliating. i've only ever played through some dodgy peavey, my practice thing and a marshall avt amp.. so i was well impressed with the tsl. but the story goes...

me dad said he will put £200 toward a new amp if i wanted too...

therefore i can buy a brand new tsl 602... but seen as this is the case... i am going to scour some review sites again... with my £500 i have £700 to buy a brand new amp. however even though the tsl 602 was awesome, i think i want a taste of the hot rod deluxe before i buy, so....

we are going to newcastle this week sometime to get one... so ive got til then... but im intending on trying the marshall/fender.. and possibly vox/orange before buying. but a new tsl 602 will do extremely nicely so far :p

so its back to the drawing board.. but with better funds :p

Permabanned
With the extra money, you can now look at the Hot Rod DeVille which is the one up from the Deluxe. It is 60watt and more importantly, has 2x12" speakers like the TSL602. If you are looking for a metal sound though, I don't think the Fenders are fo you though. That said, even though the amp may have been a bit tatty, it is a lot cheaper that a new TSL602 and if you are planning on gigging, you amp is going to end up tatty anyway.

Your decision obviously, but if it was me, I'd happily save the difference and put it towards a 2X12 extension cab or some pedals.

Back
Top Bottom