Spec me Guitar Amp

Permabanned
lemonkettaz said:
give them a whirl.

ive played an avt marshall before.. was ok..didnt like the clean tone very much. thats me though

ive played nothing though thats compared to the tsl 602 marshall. but i havent played through many type of amps. :p

never played an mg series.... but dont think ill be impressed wth them now. they are solid states arent they?

might just wait and save for a TSL, the MG are solid state

Man of Honour
Interesting article in GUITARIST magazine this month while reviewing the new Hughes & Kettner Switchblade.

GUITARIST Magazine said:
SOUNDS.
We're not going to get into the eternal 'solid state vs valve' debate here because in recent years, the tonal comaparisons have just become too close to call.

And I agree.

Man of Honour
Surprisingly I agree with DMP :)p), I have played for seventeen years and only bought my first Marshall a couple of months ago.. oh how I kicked myself for not getting one sooner! I play full-on metal (a la BLS, ZW, Pantera levels etc) and it's THE amp for me.. short of getting a Triple Rectifier (which is a totally different sound) there's nothing else I'll play again. I do also play other styles and can dial them in completely with the same amp..

Oh yes, I'm selling my "horrible pointy" Rhoads V and getting a LP Custom (Epi, can't afford a Gib) - I think I've grown up and realised it's not about flash guitars or multi-fx pedals, I've sold all that and am now using a guitar->wah->chorus->marshall and it's absolutely killer, pure tone you can feel and I don't recall hearing a better guitarists sound around these parts (not blowing my own trumpet, a lot of other people have said so).

To the OP, if you need to do the heavy thing even occasionally then get a Marshall - they are versatile and can do other sounds but it's also down to your guitar.. a Les Paul will sound completely different than an Ibanez or Jackson through the same equipment :)

Man of Honour
dmpoole said:
Look at the post two above yours.
The experts don't seem to think so.
I agree, my Marshall is the hybrid valve pre-amp/solid state power amp Mode Four and it still has that killer Marshall sound - the gap has narrowed immensely over the last few years and although you can never exactly reproduce that tube warmth the sound is pretty much there.

Associate
Pezboy said:
While I agree with your sentiments, you really need to get off this 'I play in a pub band, thus i know everything' soapbox. I understand you have gigged for a fair old while, but you play in a pub band, like many of the rest of us here :). No offense intended, I've wanted to say it for a while.

Do you think DMP has only ever played in a pub band for 36 years? Boy are you mistaken. Listen to him and you might learn something.

ooops too late.

Soldato
OP
well well well

i went to newcastle friday to have blast of a few amps...

tried the 602/a big old vox amp/fender hot rod.

my decision is the marshall 602. i love it. im going to order it within the next few days.

i played them all with my guitar (fender tele) and through a prs custom thing, also had a go of a highway1 strat to see what they are like compared to an american standard (no difference besides price)

had a good day. ive also decided i got to get a prs custom..its the soapbar one, absolutely lovely.

but the marshall tsl602 shall be mine!!! £599 too not bad!

Soldato
a PRS custom :o

you're quibbling over a few hundred on an amp and yet you're gonna buy a guitar well over £1,500

ive decided i'm saving up for a new amp now, getting really annoyed with my vox, want something dedicated.. shame i had to choose the most expensive amp i could find :(

Soldato
dmpoole said:
YES, I told ya so.
You won't regret a Marshall.

The SE was given top marks in GUITARIST magazine for the price - good choice.

ooh, didnt know it was given top marks. i was looking into one of them after i heard one being played the other day. also looking into buying a cornford amp - but muchos cash required.

Associate
SidewinderINC said:
ooh, didnt know it was given top marks. i was looking into one of them after i heard one being played the other day. also looking into buying a cornford amp - but muchos cash required.

You're as bad as me, seem to be constantly looking into buying things. :p

Permabanned
dmpoole said:
Great for the bedroom, great from 3 foot away and great for home recording.
On stage blasting to a pub/club full of people it doesn't cut it.

damn I really liked it just like the HD147 but a combo, sounded great in the demo rooms at andertons, oh well looks like marshall is the way forward

Soldato
tTz said:
You're as bad as me, seem to be constantly looking into buying things. :p

aaah, i'm not looking into buying one of these.. it will be the last amp i ever buy!
Ive heard 10 different bands playing pretty much 10 different styles (mostly cover songs ranging from jazz to blues to chicken picking clean to hardroce) with the lead guitarist going through a Cornford Hellcat and not much else pedalwise and it has done the sound perfectly! i fell in love with the sound as soon as i heard it!

Back
Top Bottom