Spec me: photo editing machine £1k

Soldato
Putting together a machine for heavy photo editing work, but not currently after 4k support.

Requirements:
  • Budget is £1k (just over is OK)
  • Need 3TB or more disk space in RAID1
  • As quiet as possible
How does the below look?

I've opted to use the CPU integrated graphics - good or bad idea?

EG3msVC.png

Soldato
@GeForce

ryzen build for you, Changes bar ryzen 1600 - Pure 600 non window as its the newer modular version. Silent PSU- although quality isnt as high, the fans one of the most silent !
2x 256GB SSD drives, one for OS and one for Scratch disk drive along with raid 1 HDD.
SD card reader added to front ?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,045.99 (includes shipping: £13.20)

intel version, using coffeelake i5 which is 6 cores and has a faster Dual core/ Quad Core and Hex core Boost speeds

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,074.95 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

believe intel still holds advantage on photoshop

Soldato
OP
Fantastic, thank you. My inclination is Intel because it'll be photoshop. Couple of questions:
  1. SATA vs PCIe SSDs - big difference? If PCIe is quicker I'd prefer 256GB PCIe for the OS/scratch rather than 2x256GB SATA.
  2. HDD brand - Toshiba/Seagate/WD - any difference?
  3. 300W PSU enough? How close is that to the actual expected consumption of the system?
I won't be overclocking this.

Man of Honour
SATA vs PCIe SSDs - big difference? If PCIe is quicker I'd prefer 256GB PCIe for the OS/scratch rather than 2x256GB SATA.
i'd be inclined to say get a nvme m.2 drive, as you'd benefit from the increased speeds

HDD brand - Toshiba/Seagate/WD - any difference?
in my experience, wd. but as always, ymmv

300W PSU enough? How close is that to the actual expected consumption of the system?
more than enough

Back
Top Bottom