Spec me some closed back monitor headphones please.

Soldato
OK so my daughter starts music collage ( BIMM INSTITUTE) in a while and she will need a set of closed back monitor headphones for when shes on site they have recommended Audio-Technica ath-m30x are they just budget headphones or are they any good ? also they said she will need in-ear monitor headphones too .

Thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
I recommend the beyerdynamic dt 250 costs a bit more than the ath m30x but would be better i think.

If she needs something more power friendly to drive the headphones it would be the 80ohm model of dt 250, but the dt 250 250ohm model would sound better but needs a headphone amp sufficient to drive them.

The dt 250 is a respectable closed back monitor, if they know their headphones they know it is a good one for the price.

Dan.

Last edited:
Associate
Whenever i see video of radio stations, everyone in that industry seems to be wearing the BeyerDynamics DT770's. Great set of closed back monitor headphones.

Soldato
I do have some 770 pro but I find them a bit muffled

So I think I'm gonna go with DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm

They are not closed back, plus 250 Ohm need a bit more to drive, might not be the best for whatever they get plugged into. If you're happy to drop around £100 on some, probably worth looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X.

Soldato
for a home set-up on a budget I went Samson SR950 for monitoring (closed back) and SR850 for mixing (open back). They have good sound, a reasonably flat spectrum, 32ohm impedance, decent cord length and thickness. My only gripe is the headband is tensioned and while it has a wide spreader it is unpadded so gets a bit uncomfortable after a while. I have solved this by adding some foam wrapped in a sock cut along its length and velcroed over the band. Probably not the look she'd want infront of her peers thinking about it. Shame as otherwise they're a cracking buy. I might see if getting some bike helmet sticky pads work instead, as the band looks like it should take them well enough.

For on-stage in-ear monitoring without going to ear moulds etc if you can afford them I'd go Shure 350s.

Soldato
OP
They are not closed back, plus 250 Ohm need a bit more to drive, might not be the best for whatever they get plugged into. If you're happy to drop around £100 on some, probably worth looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X.

Ok so now they say the headphones can be either open or closed back , but she has chosen to go with the one they said, I would have gone for something different but its up to her .

thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom