Spec my Dad a phone

Associate
Hi all,

Dad needs a new phone- media capabilities utterly irrelevant, mostly just for calls and decent e-mail management; he uses hotmail and has a 1&1 account which I would imagine can handle IMAP or at the very least POP. Some internet browsing would be handy too. Touch screen desirable though not essential (in fact I'd probably argue he'd be better off with actual buttons, he's not too tech savvy and I don't know how well he'd handle anything else).

If you could suggest a network and tariff as well it'd be much appreciated....he does a LOT of calling (600 mins absolute minimum), unlimited internet would go with the e-mail thing, and if there are any nice deals for international calls that'd be handy too (though not essential).

As you can probably tell, this is a business phone, I would tentatively recommend a Blackberry from what I've read but I've never actually used one...

Cheers for any input...

Caporegime
For emails nothing beats a Blackberry simple as that...theres a few good models out ie the 9700 which is a very nice handsset, ive had mine since nov 09 and havent had any reason to complain about...nice small, light and has 3G. Best bb device on the market by far...he could also have a look at the 8900 curve which is similar to the 9700 but doesnt have 3G and uses a trackball where the 9700 uses the new optical trackpad ie the trackball is prone to getting stuck and breaking down after use.

If he wants touchscreen then he could have a look at the Storm2 which i also have but tbh id recommend he actually play with a live demo unit as they arent to everyones taste...they are touchscreen but works slightly different in that you click down on the screen to make a selection...personally i use my 9700 more than my storm2 in all honesty.

If he really wants touchscreen then id hate to suggest it but id have a look at the Winmo devices ie HTC HD and HD2 handsets but they are bulky devices...not exactly pocket sized.

For £40 pm he would definitely get any of the BB's free although he might be able to wrangle a free phone for a cheaper line rental....if he goes BB then he will need the BIS add on which gives unlimited email and internet browsing.

Caporegime
May i ask, what makes the e-mail on BB's so special?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry

For me its the fact that blackberry's offer a secure and simple way to recieve one's email and business documents on the go, its icon oriented operating system makes it just a matter of clicking one icon to send and recieve email and be alerted nearly in real time when you have a message
they are easily syncable to a computer...plus it simple and easy to get on with...it does what it does without minimum of fuss..sure winmo does the same ie emails etc etc but winmo needs some love/attention every so often or else it gets a bit stroppy...plus BB were the first to the market with true push email technology...

And the fact that they are Canadian as well \o/:D

Back
Top Bottom