Special need for a laptop that runs COOL

Associate
I'm in the market for a new laptop, and I have a special requirement: I need to be able to take it back home to Cyprus and use it in 45C heat without it melting!
I thought about simply looking for ULV laptops, but from what I've seen by looking at machines in stores, many manufacturers use the reduced need for cooling that low voltage processors give to make their laptops thinner and quieter instead. I don't think a passively cooled laptop, or one with just a single tiny low speed blower fan, would survive the kind of heat I'd put it through, especially if I'm using it for 6 hours a day.

I've actually been tempted by the Asus Zenbook UX305, it's in my price range and has very good specs, but I'm worried about using ANY ultrabook back home.

My price range is under £800, preferably closer to £600. Preferred screen size is 13", would go up to 15. Use will be word processing, light image editing, watching streaming video, and light gaming - wouldn't be running Skyrim on it, but I'd like it to handle something like Pillars of Eternity, Quake Live, stuff like that, and to handle them in the heat without catching fire.

Soldato
Having just checked out local cypriot pc shops, they seem to sell regular laptops like the HP 250 etc so cooling mustn't be that awful, any laptop will do really, just use it on a desk rather than on your lap or bedcovers and you'll be fine.

Permabanned
Best bet is to just get a cooler for the laptop that sits under it. You're going to have trouble at 45c regardless I think. Just don't sit it on a carpet or on your lap!

Associate
OP
Well yeah, of course they sell regular laptops, it's not a big enough country to make its own custom liquid hydrogen cooled laptops! :p But everyone has troubles, things break down and get heat damaged or just switch themselves off if you run them too long and too hot. My old Acer lappy started shutting off if I just watched Twitch for over 20', though admittedly the fan must be starting to go on that thing. There's no reason to tempt fate, obviously I'll get a cooler for when it's sitting on my desk, but it's a laptop, I will be taking it out and about, so something that runs cool enough to not soil its own pants and collapse in a heat of molten plastic in the summer would be good.

Back
Top Bottom