Specsavers me a fantasy book / series

Soldato
Ok a year ago i did a thread like this and was directed towards the Robin Hobb series, i absolutely loved it and are pretty keen to find something of equally good quality in the fantasy vein (no sci-fi though).

I have recently read the Trudi Canavan magicians series as well so avoid that.

I'd like to read shamans crossing but not until the small papaerback is released so avoid that too.

Come on people give me something as good as last time.

Oh and if you recommend a writer such as Feist or Gemmel then please give me a good starting point as they have so many books it becomes a bit daunting :p

Associate
Raymond E Feist - I'd start with the Riftwar saga which is: Magician, Silverthorn, A Darkness at Sethanon.

I also like the Dragonlance Chronicles, just started reading them again and really enjoy them.

At this point I usually recommend Terry Brooks as well but last time it didn't go down so well so I wont ;)

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Rich_L said:
Umm the Wheel of Time series? Is like 12 books or something so should keep you busy for a while :p
Yeah, but it's unfinished, and dragging on tediously. It may be better to wait until it's finally all written, than to read 11 or 12 books, then have to wait a few years until the end appears.

How about Julian May's "Saga of the Exiles"? It's a sort-of cross between SciFi and Fantasy, and (IMHO) both original and superbly done. And it's complete, too. :D

Soldato
Oh fair enough, I've only read the 1st book y'see :p Tend to pick up most of my books in charity shops so usually stay away from series as it's difficult finding a whole set, cheapskate - moi? :D

That is annoying though, remember reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series (I think?) and that wasn't finished, v. frustrating :)

Soldato
OP
I thought about the wheel of time series but 12 books is far too long, and i've read that it starts off great but then dwindles a bit, so thats off my list.

I've tried to read lord of the rings 3 times but i dont enjoy it at all.

don't talk soft.
do yourself a favour, read Robin Hobb's Liveship Trilogy.

Just finished reading all the 9 farseer/liveship/tawny man books, hence why i wont settle for rubbish, i need something thats as great as those :cool:

Sic

Sic

Soldato
chimaera said:
Just finished reading all the 9 farseer/liveship/tawny man books, hence why i wont settle for rubbish, i need something thats as great as those :cool:

omg, sorry...i totally didnt read the OP...i see the word fantasy, i think Robin Hobb. they're amazing books! i don't really read fantasy so that's my only recommendation.

happy book-hunting :)

FTM

FTM

Soldato
Feists stuff is good but he can be a bit overwhelming to start with

Gemmels stuff is much more immediate and in your face...anti hero's who always end up dead before the end of the book usually

also hsi Jerusalem Man books were a good read

waylander and the subsequent sequals are brilliant.

his characters are generally flawed individuals who dont really want to do what they end up doing...his descriptions of fighting are generally more brutal and visceral comapred to other fantasy authors I have read

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Rich_L said:
Oh fair enough, I've only read the 1st book y'see :p Tend to pick up most of my books in charity shops so usually stay away from series as it's difficult finding a whole set, cheapskate - moi? :D

That is annoying though, remember reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series (I think?) and that wasn't finished, v. frustrating :)
My problem is perhaps that I'm a bit touchy about the Wheel of Time, because I started it about 15 years ago and I'm STILL waiting to find out how it finishes up. It's VERY frustrating, so perhaps I'm not entirely objective about it.

Soldato
Rich_L said:
Umm the Wheel of Time series? Is like 12 books or something so should keep you busy for a while :p

Personally, although I've read them all so far, I wouldn't say this are a particularly good saga. The formula for each book has been practically identical aside from the first book, and the latest one released.

FTM said:
Gemmels stuff is much more immediate and in your face...anti hero's who always end up dead before the end of the book usually

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you a little here. Personally I've found all of Gemell's work (and I'd say I've read about 20) to be simplistic to the point of bordering on boring. They're a perfect train journey read, but more often than not you'll finish them in an afternoon, and if you're hungry for depth and excellent story lines, you'll probably find these wanting.

Robin Hobb is without doubt one of my favourite authors, she's fantastic. I take it you've read the The Liveship Traders, The Farseer, and The Tawny Man trilogies? All of them are absolutely wonderful (although I'd say the Tawny Man was the worst by a fair way) EDIT: Sorry, read the thread properly and realised you have indeed.

If you like the sound of a less magic based, very satyrical and excellently written trilogy, I suggest you check out K.J Parker, she's just writing the second book of her third trilogy, and the first two were absolutely excellent (although the second trilogy, I forget the name, was far superior). Parker is an excellent author and I highly recommend her.

Trudy Canavan's trilogy was good, but not great, you could tell it was her first, her next trilogy shows a fair bit of promise, and I thoroughly enjoyed the first book. The Black Magician was a touch run-of-the mill and lacked anything particularly original for my liking.

I definately recommend the aforementioned Reymond E. Feist trilogy, it's a milestone against which many other fantasies are judged, and for it's time it was VERY good. Although I totally have to disagree with them being overwhelming, if you've read Robin Hobb's stuff it should be fine.

Fiona McIntosh is still, I believe, in the process of finish her 'The Quickening' Trilogy, and whilst she's a good rather than great author, I think the story is exceptionally original, and I'd really recommend reading it.

I haven't got most of my library here and I can't remember the names of some of my other favourites, I'm swinging by home this weekend so I'll make a note of some others for you :)

Oh and were I you, I'd suggest you steer clear of Pratchett. He may be to some peoples tastes, but I find the humour both drab and unimaginative. If you want humour in a fantasy book, that doesn't detract at all from both superb storylines and wonderful writing, check out Parker as I mentioned earlier.

EDIT: Ah, how could I forget! Steph Swainston has written two books, the second (and in my humble opinion, the weaker) book was called 'No Present Like Time'. The ideas in this again, are far removed from generic fantasy and a thoroughly good read, although in a completely different vein to Hobb. I really recommend them though, even if they are rather short.

Happy Reading,
Ant :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Another nod here for the Dark Tower books by Stephen King - just waiting for number seven to come out in paperback then I will enjoy re-reading them all through.

Associate
nands said:
Another nod here for the Dark Tower books by Stephen King - just waiting for number seven to come out in paperback then I will enjoy re-reading them all through.

Same here.

A lot better than all his other books. Currently reading the 6th of 7... "Song of Susannah". Unfortunately it hasn't continued the trend of the others, which have all been longer than the previous one.

Back
Top Bottom