Specsavers me a fantasy book / series

Soldato
OP
Think i'm going to have a look at the Dark Tower books and the Feist magician series, they seem to be my sort of thing, i've always wanted to read magician but the sheer volume of the thing has put me off so far.

Oh and who desecrated my thread title :p i think one of the dons is abusing his power! i demand justice that is swift yet brutal ;)

Man of Honour
Best fantasy of all time IMNSHO is Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea books. Technically they are for teenagers, but they are vastly better written than just about all of the books listed here so far. They are also proof that a fantasy's worth CANNOT be judged by its weight.

Best series still in production is George R R Martin's Song of Ice and Fire mentioned above. Four books out so far, one in production, two more expected, plus a book of short stories set in the same land also on its way. Stunningly good and so far ahead of most other fantasy it's not funny.

Barbara Hambly is always worth reading, but don't expect traditional fantasy - she is very much the revisionist wing.

Elizabeth Moon's Paksinarrion trilogy are great as well, but again, revisionist. Thanks to whoever it was here who recommended her books.

Guy Gavriel Kay is probably the consistantly best writer. If you prefer traditional fantasy then you need the Fionavar Tapestry trilogy; later works are fantasy re-writes of real historical events - which are better than the idea might sound.

David Eddings early books are good (unlike most fantasy writers he has a sense of humour), but later books just copy the early ones.

David Gemmell wrote one good book (Legend) then wrote the same book over and over again.

Simon R Green's fantasies are a hoot, but don't expect literature.

China Mieville writes very good, unusual books.

M

Soldato
Mr Spew said:
Another one for the His Dark Materials trilogy, the best bar none.

anyone know whats going on with the movie thing for that?
last I heard they where still making it but had replaced the church reference with some "generic evil orginisiation" thing.
kinda lost its appeal for me then, I hate it when they mess with books like that.

Soldato
yozzer2001 said:
robert rankin
the brentford trilogy

I realy liked some of his stuff, very good, but then I read some of his other eirlyer work and it was utter pants. too much drivel too hard to follow

Soldato
The Old Kingdom Trilogy by Garth Nix (Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen), I think they are aimed at teenagers but I enjoyed them. Good story without all the excess baggage some of the bigger series have *cough*Wheel of Time*cough* Interesting world as well.

Soldato
loopstah said:
The Old Kingdom Trilogy by Garth Nix (Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen), I think they are aimed at teenagers but I enjoyed them. Good story without all the excess baggage some of the bigger series have *cough*Wheel of Time*cough* Interesting world as well.
totaly, I Didn't like that they put it with the kids books tho

Soldato
Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time Series - After book 6 it got a bit stale unfortunately but i'm still a loyal reader.

George Martin - Song of Ice and Fire Series - Very good but like Jordan he takes an eternity to finish a book.

Three very good authers that haven't been mentioned -

Steven Erikson - the Book of the Malazan Series - The world he creates is massive and the amount of characters is incredible and it is very easy to get lost and confused. Stick with it and it is very good.

J.V. Jones - Book of Words trilogy, the Barbed Coil and the Sword of Shadows trilogy which I think will be completed this year. All excellent.

Ian Irvine - The View from the Mirror series and the Well of Echoes series - Both set in the same world. Very easy to read with plenty of action. I think he writes quite fast too which is a bonus.

Soldato
Werewolf said:
I've got to get round to buying them some time, i've read about half of them completely out of order (and over the space of about 5 years), as I remember I really liked them :)

12 books in total although the final one is only out in hardback at the minute sio I'm waiting for the paperback version :(

Read the 11 others for about the 4th time over the last few months :p

Back
Top Bottom