Speed Camera Detectors

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
It warns me of mobile cameras as well - all the sites they use them on are listed and updated monthly.

Ones which actually scan for mobile vans are useless anyway, all it will tell you is 'Yes, you just got nicked'.
Agreed on both counts. I used the speed camera database when it was free and it never missed a camera. These days I just don't speed *polishes halo* ;)

With mobile cameras what the detector is actually picking up is the beam which is used to measure your speed so it is as fox says just telling you that you've been nicked.

Associate
OP
Thats what i meant by a GPS device; perhaps I should have said Satnav. I was asking for reccomendations on that.

Perhaps the Tom Tom Go 510?

Last edited:
Don
John_V85 said:
Thats what i meant by a GPS device; perhaps I should have said Satnav. I was asking for reccomendations on that.

Perhaps the Tom Tom Go 510?

I have a TT Go 510 and do not find it very good for camera detection , I use a Origin B2 as well

apparantly if you use the PocketGPSworld dtabase is better but I think it would still have problems that I wouldn't like ( lack of over speed warning , directional intelligence etc )

Man of Honour
Never bothered with the dedicated units as I dont see the point (Barely cheaper than a PDA, more so in some cases and less flexible) but TomTom 5.1 on my PDA will only alert me to cameras on my route, it's very good indeed.

Also smaller and easier to manage than the bigger units and you have total flexibility over where you put the GPS receiver.

Associate
OP
Rotty said:
I have a TT Go 510 and do not find it very good for camera detection , I use a Origin B2 as well

apparantly if you use the PocketGPSworld dtabase is better but I think it would still have problems that I wouldn't like ( lack of over speed warning , directional intelligence etc )

Do you subscribe to the Safety Cameras Plus thing?

Don
[TW]Fox said:
Never bothered with the dedicated units as I dont see the point (Barely cheaper than a PDA, more so in some cases and less flexible) but TomTom 5.1 on my PDA will only alert me to cameras on my route, it's very good indeed.

Also smaller and easier to manage than the bigger units and you have total flexibility over where you put the GPS receiver.

can it be made to give an overspeed warning ?

I could live with out directional intelligence but no overspeed would be a pain

Soldato
I have both TomTom 5 with pocket GPS camera database and a road angel 2. I dont use both that often but use the RA everytime im driving a car. The last time I went to Southampton I used both(both of which were using the latest databases), the Pocket GPS database had at least three cameras missing from it that were up and running and also two sites there were being put up that week. The road angel warned about every single one.

IMO if your getting a device to detect cameras the PGPS database is just not accurate enough you need a dedicated device. Its a nice add on to Tomtom though for what it costs if you cant afford a decent detector.

Permabanned
Rotty said:
can it be made to give an overspeed warning ?

I could live with out directional intelligence but no overspeed would be a pain

POI-warner addon for tomtom allows you to set speed limits

Back
Top Bottom