Speedo over-reading? How do I check?

Associate
my micra (1995) is prety spot on 1/2mph out although my wifes Rover 400 (1997) over reads 4 mph @ 30

most phones have gps now even the cheapo nokia 5800 tube and speed apps are available on OVI store
there are hundreds on the android market :)

Associate
A crude but easy way of checking is to follow a mate or relative in their own car doing dead on 30, you do the same and if you gain on them your speedo is under reading. Obviously not 100% accurate but should be able to give you a good indication.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
A crude but easy way of checking is to follow a mate or relative in their own car doing dead on 30, you do the same and if you gain on them your speedo is under reading. Obviously not 100% accurate but should be able to give you a good indication.

Haha, how did you work that out? What if your speedo was bang on but your friends speedo was under-reading?

This only works if the car in front has a calibrated speedo.

Soldato
Fox you need to learn to read between the lines.
He was obviously implying that he needs to follow his mate who is doing dead on 30 miles per hour. His mate will be following another mate who has a calibrated speedometer.

Soldato
If you get a friend with a car that isn't suspected to have a speedo problem and follow them at a predefined speed that will be fine. If theirs is reading 30 and yours is reading 30 then I'd forget about it. All speedos over read (apart from calibrated ones like police cars for all you pedants) so this isn't going to tell you if yours is completely accurate (which it wont be) but it will tell you whether it's in line with an average cars speedo.

Associate
The method should give you a rough indication if you think your speedo is out. But of course the car you are using to check it against has to be known to be accurate.

Last edited:
Soldato
get a new phone? I havn't had a phone for about 4 years that hasnt had a gps chip in, including the crappy blackberry curve that i have as a work phone :s

or surely you must know somebody with such a phone even if they dont have a tomtom, everyone knows someone with an iphone :p

Associate
Drive at 36mph, see if it sets it off, drive at 37, see if it sets it off...etc. No idea re calibration.

Lol at the guy above saying follow a car with a calibrated speedo.

Well I didn't think it was that bad an idea to get a rough indication :o

Still I think the Benny Hill idea might be a winner :D

Back
Top Bottom