Spelling - phonetic or actual

Soldato
Please do not suggest I'm a child. I consider that a personal insult Gilly.

I can see where this would go if the tables were turnt.

Reported.

You really aren't as funny since you lost your mod position. Funny that ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
its probably because more people are coming online now, more people are realising that forums are just a text based chat system.

so a lot of people type how they speak, hence a lot of misspellings (sp?) and wrong usage of 'there/their/they're' etc

Man of Honour
I would hope that it is just because it is on an internet forum that people feel they can be lazy with their spelling. I find text speak and other such abbreviations somewhat irritating, bar useful acronyms such as IIRC, AFAIK which I believe in occaisonal use is perfectly acceptable.

I think it is easy to spot people who maybe don't read as much as people who do. I truly believe that reading is the best way of expanding your vocabulary and generally giving confidence in the mastering of language. By reading I mean proper decent well written books, not tripe like the Sun or Viz.

I do admire people who have a great writing style but struggle with vocabulary or spelling - because at least they are making the effort. Unfortunately I have the hard job of trying to adapt my language according to the language I'm writing in. French is written in a completely different style than it is spoken as it tends to be somewhat formal. I'm sure it's similar in English but not to the same level.

Man of Honour
sniffy said:

Reported.
Sorry? You mention how dumb poor spelling looks and then say "I only done it as a child" followed by "if the tables were turnt"?

And then get upset when somebody notices it?

Ha!

Man of Honour
sniffy said:

Reported.
You completely missed the point. I didn't call you a child.

[edit]Cheers Leon :)

Man of Honour
sniffy said:

Reported.

RTM deleted.

He was merely pointing the irony in your post. Which you have demonstrated again in this one. ;)

Caporegime
I don't care how people spell, type or punctuate on the internet as long as it is understandable.

I quite often find myself typing the odd shortcut word or R or U etc.

it's just the natural evoloution of the English language, it wont seem so weird in 50 years time.

Its often just a point raised to cause argument on the interweb where there is no real reason.

take this entire thread for example.

Man of Honour
sniffy said:

I haven't changed in the least bit :)

[edit]In fact, the only thing that has changed is people feel they can have digs at me and I can't do anything about it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Zip said:
Says the Frenchman

/Runs :p

Yes. However I think you'll find my English is rather good. My French is equally as good. Can you speak/write/read another language fluently? ;)

I know your post was made in jest - but I'm just pointing out the obvious in case others jump on the "I have no right to comment" bandwagon ;)

Soldato
I don't mind how people spell, as long as they show they're making some kind of effort. If someone writes in his native language in a bad way, and I can see that it's a consistent problem, then I tend to start losing respect for them.

If you're English and you've lived here for 16 years, surrounded by and using the same language then there really is no excuse. Well, unless your parents locked you up and didn't let you go to school.

Freefaller, I agree that people can expand their vocabulary by reading decent books; it's a very healthy way of improving language.

I have been learning language and studying linguistics for about two years now, and French is, by far, the most difficult language I've studied. I'm studying Chinese at the moment and I even find that much easier than French.

What I'd be interested in knowing is, do they suffer the same problem in France, regarding spelling errors and/or bad grammar?

Soldato
AcidHell2 said:
The English language always ahs and always will evolve. I don't agree with text speak, but I do welcome phonetic spelling. If English language evolves along these lines who knows.

Yeah, that's another little gem of an excuse .... " it's evolving " ........ sure it is!

Man of Honour
In all honesty yes they do suffer. Most people even mildly educated people, or even some people with degree level education still faulter on French grammar. Not grossly or all the time, however enough so that it is noticed from time to time. Most of my French friends do use more "text" speak than they ought to, but it does make life so much easier. It's a shame - but it's understandable when you have to deal with grammar that satan spawned himself.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
William said:
As long as people understand each other, I don't care.

Im the same as you on this really.

But will people please not use the letter "D" to replace "Th". It doesnt sound the same no matter what you think :mad:
And know replacing Letters with numbers :mad:

Words like Thru and kno(Keep the K say you know which know it is) is fine by me :)

Man of Honour
I nearly started a thread with this yesterday (it is America but what the hell) -

Simpler Spelling Being Pushed

Those in favor of simplified spelling say children would learn faster and illiteracy rates would drop. Others say that it would only confuse matters.

'The consept has yet to capcher th publix imajinaeshun, eether wae.'

Supporters even picket the national spelling bee finals each year with signs such as, "Enuf is enuf but enough is too much" or "I'm thru with through."
The groups says that English has 42 sounds spelled in 400 different ways.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060705/D8IM2S5O1.html

Soldato
Freefaller said:
In all honesty yes they do suffer. Most people even mildly educated people, or even some people with degree level education still faulter on French grammar. Not grossly or all the time, however enough so that it is noticed from time to time. Most of my French friends do use more "text" speak than they ought to, but it does make life so much easier. It's a shame - but it's understandable when you have to deal with grammar that satan spawned himself.

Interesting.

I guess I could be more forgiving if French people make the odd mistake, because the language, as you put it, uses grammar that satan spawned himself.

French is difficult but languages like German are more strict, which may seem to make it harder but, in fact, they make it much easier. In my experience Germans find it very hard to understand their language when it's used outside of the rules.

Many times I've spoken German to Germans and even a small mistake like forgetting to put the verb at the end of a sentence, makes them totally confused. Although, saying that, they still suffer from spelling errors just as much as we do in England.

I think this has gone kinda off-topic now but, the point I'm trying to make is that certain rules of grammar or levels of strictness in a languages grammar can make it easier or more difficult to make mistakes. In my opinion. :)

Soldato
Lopéz said:
Sorry? You mention how dumb poor spelling looks and then say "I only done it as a child" followed by "if the tables were turnt"?

And then get upset when somebody notices it?

Ha!

No I didn't. I said how phonetic spelling looks dumb; I just mentioned I did it as a child when I couldn't spell the word. There's a difference mate. Please highlight the spelling mistakes in "I only done it as a child" anyway. I pronounce turned as "turnt" as I'm southern, it's simply slang. I shouldn't use slang when it gives people like you ammunition I guess. Regardless, I hadn't said that before Gilly came out with his remark so that bares no meaning.

Please tell me exactly what was child like in my original post Gilly. Was it my use of done instead of "did"? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom