Spelling - phonetic or actual

Soldato
Jumpingmedic said:
Can u n0t und3rst4nd wh4t 1 am s4ying?

That example is only 2 letters short of a proper english version. Why substitute the letters with numbers? It's hardly abbreviating anything, I just don't get it. :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
Chasser said:
That example is only 2 letters short of a proper english version. Why substitute the numbers for letters? It's hardly abbreviating anything, I just don't get it. :confused:

Why is English different to German? Somewhere along the line someone decided to do things differently... doesn't matter how or why. Someone did it. And from that point on things begand changing.

Germans probably wonder why we didn't stick with their language. In 300 years we'll probably wonder why Americans are speaking a totally new language instead of English.

Changes are spontaneous and natural. The Internet can be described as a country under certain definitions, why shouldn't it have it's own language.

Man of Honour
Spuderoony said:
No, you misinterpret me, I think.

I don't necessarily think that "proper" (whatever that is - everyone could define it differently...) English should be used. I think the most appropriate form according to patterns of language use at the given time should be used. Currently, that would be Standard English.

I think if I were to ask a lot of people here to write a letter for a job for example, they'd all come back to me in a very similar style (I would hope). Or even better, writing a letter to an editor of a decent newspaper - there's a certain way one writes.

I fink if I aks peeps 2 rite a letter 4 a job 4 xample, theyd all cum bk 2 me in a v.simlar stile (I *** hope). Or eeven beter, writing a leter 2 an editar of a desent newspaper - theres a sertin whey 1 rites.

A somewhat exaggerated example - but that's the point I'm trying to make. I'd take person A seriously, and person B may well be more intelligent or have the aptitude for the job (or whatever) but I just could not take him seriously at all.

Associate
Jumpingmedic said:
The Internet can be described as a country under certain definitions, why shouldn't it have it's own language.
I'm afraid you're going to have to explain how the internet can be described as being a country. And unofficially, its language is English. Circa 80% of all webpages are written in English.

Man of Honour
Andelusion said:
Anyone in the thread here take English Language at A level or higher?

I'm just curious, as I've just finished an A-Level in it that's all.

No but I have done a lot of extra curricular English (as well as other languages) literature/language classes around the same time as I did my A-Levels :)

Associate
Haha, no, I haven't met the big man himself. My personal tutor is a very highly respected dialectologist, though (Prof. Clive Upton).

David Crystal is less revered at University level than he is at A-Level (but that's probably because college tutors have given him almost Demi-God status). He's still part of quite a bit of the basic reading because of the Cambridge Encyclopedias of Language (and the separate one of The English Language), though.

Man of Honour
sniffy said:
No, you can't quote me specifically because that simply isn't what I said.
You complained that phonetic spelling looks dumb. I did assume something at this point, I understood that from this you would believe the same whether it was written by hand in a letter or typed out in a post on this very forum.

In the very same post you had errors. This I quoted to point out the irony of your complaint. You complain that people spelling words phonetically as opposed to correctly looks dumb. Alongside that, grammatical errors look worse.

sniffy said:
OvertoneBliss's point on the other hand is quite right. My use of slang is incorrect in the written word, you didn't point that out though. You faulted my spelling in my original post, which there was none.
Where did I fault your spelling?

sniffy said:
I said I didn't like phonetic spelling. You then accused my spelling of being "child" like (you confirm what Lopez said; that being I spell poorly), which I then point out that isn't what I meant, nor that any spelling is actually incorrect in that section of quote (only my use of the word "done" which is a local dialect issue, which Overtone pointed out). You then say "You were talking about employing different spelling. In case you hadn't realised, that is a main component of post structure". Ok, let’s clarify on your term "post structure". A post is in essence, a bunch of sentences. Ok, so sentence structure?
I didn't accuse your spelling of anything of the sort.

sniffy said:
I see no emphasis on spelling on any sites I visit. I'm not sure who to believe here, you or people who are experienced and qualified in their field of work. Hmm :/ I can see your point, but it doesn't apply to the term sentence structure.
You see no emphasis on spelling on any sites you visit? This entire thread is about spelling, so other sites - specifically ones which 'don't place emphasis on spelling' - have no business being discussed here.

sniffy said:
I'm going to guess your term "post structure" doesn't mean that though? :)
Post structure, sentence structure, all the same thing.

Soldato
Andelusion said:
Anyone in the thread here take English Language at A level or higher?

I'm just curious, as I've just finished an A-Level in it that's all.

Nothing of the sort. All self-study here. :)

Sniffy, I don't think Gilly means anything bad by it, I think maybe you might have got the wrong end of the stick.

Last edited:
Soldato
Gilly said:
You complained that phonetic spelling looks dumb. I did assume something at this point, I understood that from this you would believe the same whether it was written by hand in a letter or typed out in a post on this very forum.

You're correct.

In the very same post you had errors. This I quoted to point out the irony of your complaint. You complain that people spelling words phonetically as opposed to correctly looks dumb. Alongside that, grammatical errors look worse.

So you suggested I was dumb due to my use of regional dialect ("grammatical errors" as you put it)?. I'm not going to say my use of English was correct but to brand regional dialect in the written form dumb (through use of irony or otherwise) is silly. Saying "turnt" was pretty stupid of me as it isn't even a word, just how it's said. People who aren't from my region of England might be confused but that doesn't matter as that isn't what you quoted.

Where did I fault your spelling?

You said "You completely missed the point. I didn't call you a child". You then saw Lopez's post which clearly states I used "poor spelling" and then you edited your post saying "[edit]Cheers Leon". I made two assumptions here. Firstly it seems by you thanking Leon, he made the "point" that I "completely missed" (his point being I was upset because my poor spelling was noticed). Secondly that the "Leon" you refer to is Lopez.

I didn't accuse your spelling of anything of the sort.

You certainly did.

You see no emphasis on spelling on any sites you visit? This entire thread is about spelling, so other sites - specifically ones which 'don't place emphasis on spelling' - have no business being discussed here.

My link ties in perfectly with your definition of "post structure" though, which that link (and many others if you check google) disagrees with. I used that link to highlight that. Surely you can't make a statement on a point that doesn't exactly tie in with the topic then disregard any links that prove that statement false? That would be silly :)

Man of Honour
sniffy said:
You're correct.
Good start.

sniffy said:
So you suggested I was dumb due to my use of regional dialect ("grammatical errors" as you put it)?. I'm not going to say my use of English was correct but to brand regional dialect in the written form dumb (through use of irony or otherwise) is silly. Saying "turnt" was pretty stupid of me as it isn't even a word, just how it's said. People who aren't from my region of England might be confused but that doesn't matter as that isn't what you quoted.
Well, actually, I was pointing out how dumb it was to call other ways of typing words dumb, when your own command over the English language isn't fantastic. So much so as to allow errors in the very post you call others dumb.

Regional dialect is all well and good, but using words in the incorrect context and/or tense is simply wrong and misleading, especially over simple text where inflection and tone aren't possible.

sniffy said:
You said "You completely missed the point. I didn't call you a child". You then saw Lopez's post which clearly states I used "poor spelling" and then you edited your post saying "[edit]Cheers Leon". I made two assumptions here. Firstly it seems by you thanking Leon, he made the "point" that I "completely missed" (his point being I was upset because my poor spelling was noticed). Secondly that the "Leon" you refer to is Lopez.
One assumption is correct, the other is not. I thanked Leon (thats the correct one, that is Lopez, no-one but he and I needed to know to whom I was referring) for pointing out how daft you were to throw your teddies out of the pram in the way you did. A simple 'Oh, yeah, my mistake :o' rather than somehow reading my post as calling you childish would have sufficed. Later, a simple post saying 'my bad Gilly, I thought you were calling me childish, sorry' would have sufficed when everyone else told you that you'd overreacted and missed the point.

sniffy said:
You certainly did.
No, I did not.

sniffy said:
My link ties in perfectly with your definition of "post structure" though, which that link (and many others if you check google) disagrees with. I used that link to highlight that. Surely you can't make a statement on a point that doesn't exactly tie in with the topic then disregard any links that prove that statement false? That would be silly :)
I don't understand any of this quoted text. Are you saying that using words in the correct tense isn't necessary for correct sentence structure?

It was you that wanted me to post in here, if you remember, rather than take it to mail.

Soldato
Gilly said:
Good start.

Please don’t be so patronizing. Have I been patronizing to you?

Well, actually, I was pointing out how dumb it was to call other ways of typing words dumb, when your own command over the English language isn't fantastic. So much so as to allow errors in the very post you call others dumb.

I fail to see how you were clearly pointing that out by quoting me in the manner you did. My original statement in regards to how I interpreted your original quote on me stands. No doubt you’ll patronize me and suggest I improve how I interpret English. I suggest if you’re going to poke fun at a complete stranger, make it quite clear it’s just that, which you did not.

Regional dialect is all well and good, but using words in the incorrect context and/or tense is simply wrong and misleading, especially over simple text where inflection and tone aren't possible.

I’m not disputing it was incorrect, but misleading? The difference between “I done one lap” and “I did one lap” is quite apparent, especially for a man who seems to have a good grasp of English like you. That’s my regional dialect, simple as. Do you jump on northerners who structure their sentences oddly due to their regional dialect? That doesn’t matter though, as you were finding fault in my spelling originally, not in my regional dialect. You made a point, I supposedly didn’t understand that point, and then Lopez makes that point clear. His point being I was upset about my bad spelling being picked up on. How can you refute that?

One assumption is correct, the other is not. I thanked Leon for pointing out how daft you were to throw your teddies out of the pram in the way you did.

He talks of bad spelling, quotes that bad spelling, and then says I’m upset because its been picked up on! That was what he was pointing out, simple as. How you can possibly reach a different conclusion from that is amusing.

A simple 'Oh, yeah, my mistake :o' rather than somehow reading my post as calling you childish would have sufficed. Later, a simple post saying 'my bad Gilly, I thought you were calling me childish, sorry' would have sufficed when everyone else told you that you'd overreacted and missed the point.

I fail to see the need to apologies; I believe you initiated this pointless discussing between you and me by taking the pee out of my spelling (to which you later decide was actually taking the pee out of my grammatical errors).

No, I did not.

I don't understand any of this quoted text. Are you saying that using words in the correct tense isn't necessary for correct sentence structure?

No, I am not. The majority of educational websites talking of “sentence structure” talk of what I quote. Go have a look on google if you still don’t understand.

It was you that wanted me to post in here, if you remember, rather than take it to mail.

That’s amusing also. What’s your point exactly? I hope you aren’t suggesting what I think you are. I’m not that much of a loser Gilly, Jesus Christ.

thats the correct one

:)

Man of Honour
Grow up dude it was a simple joke. I can't be arsed with it going any further because I don't actually know what your problem is.

Nowhere did I pick up on your spelling. Get that right.

Everything else I don't care about. You've bored me.

Back
Top Bottom