@ Spie

Soldato
Although the A8 4.2L V8 TDI is 334 Nm/ton @ 1600rpm, whereas the Phaeton is 292 Nm/ton @ 2000rpm. The Audi should pull a fair bit better!

Soldato
OP
PMKeates said:
Although the A8 4.2L V8 TDI is 334 Nm/ton @ 1600rpm, whereas the Phaeton is 292 Nm/ton @ 2000rpm. The Audi should pull a fair bit better!
initially it should but once rolling the vehicle weight is, for the most part, irrelevant.
i'd expect in gear acceleration times to be in the VW's favour, but of course we're not talking about huge differences here.

Soldato
The_Dark_Side said:
initially it should but once rolling the vehicle weight is, for the most part, irrelevant.
i'd expect in gear acceleration times to be in the VW's favour, but of course we're not talking about huge differences here.
Surely the torque@wheels/weight is the only determining factor in acceleration until aerodynamics come in to play?

Soldato
The_Dark_Side said:
+gearing.
i thought the figures you quoted were @flywheel not @wheels.
i only had a brief search and couldn't find any "at the wheels" figures.

do you have any links for in gear acceleration times for both cars?
I'm afraid not.

I can officially confirm the following:

Phaeton
--------

750 Nm, 2,566kg

1st: 4.171
2nd: 2.34
3rd: 1.521
4th: 1.143
5th: 0.867
6th: 0.691
Final: ???

A8
---

650 Nm, 1,945kg

1st: 4.171
2nd: 2.34
3rd: 1.521
4th: 1.143
5th: 0.867
6th: 0.691
Final: 3.403

Soldato
Using the above official figures, the Phaeton would need a final drive ratio of 3.89 to equal the acceleration of the A8. That final drive ratio would allow the following speeds @ 4000rpm on the standard V10 255/45 R18 tyres:

1st: 20 mph
2nd: 36 mph
3rd: 54 mph
4th: 72 mph
5th: 95 mph
6th: 120 mph

Which isn't the case :p

Therefore the Audi must punch quicker at any point.

EDIT: Made a mistake, forgetting to change the torque from 650Nm to 750Nm in the calculations. Figures adjusted :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
PMKeates said:
I don't have one for either :p
hard one to figure IMHO.
you think the Audi all the way, whereas i'd say the Audi to somewhere around 60 or 70 then the Phaeton would start to close the gap.
although whether it would catch the Audi in a reasonable time is another matter.
unfortunately it's difficult to find accurate figures on factors like in-gear acceleration times.

Soldato
I'd say it's fairly conclusive, as the Audi has a higher power/weight and torque/weight figure. Considering they seem to use the same drivetrain, I can't see it being any other way!

Soldato
OP
PMKeates said:
I'd say it's fairly conclusive, as the Audi has a higher power/weight and torque/weight figure. Considering they seem to use the same drivetrain, I can't see it being any other way!
i'm not so sure.
many times have i seen instances where car a SHOULD be faster than car b as the paper stats show it to be, but on the road the story is different.
power delivery has a part to play in this also and while the max figures you quote are in the Audi's favour by a considerable margin i'd say it's not as cut and dry as you may think.
the other thing to think about is VW (part of the same group as Audi after all) went to huge expense to develop the V10 diesel.if it's inferior to the Audi unit wouldn't you think they would've used it as well having access to the same parts bin?

Godfather
Godfather
The_Dark_Side said:
what do you make of the Toureg?
from a non-owner point of view (ie mine), i think they're a fantastic vehicle but as you own one i'd like to hear your thoughts on the subject.do you feel it suffers the same problem, although to a lesser degree, as the Phaeton in that the only thing "wrong" with it is the VW badge?as you almost certainly considered a Land Cruiser/Range Rover et al do you regret your choice or is the car the giant slayer it appears to be?
thnx.

PS of course anyone else that's owned/driven/rented a Toureg is more than welcome to voice their thoughts.
The Touareg V10 is one of the best cars I have ever owned, so much so that I've thought about buying another. It has incredible presence, superb build quality and that glorious torquemonster of an engine.

There are only a few cars that compare to it and all have their faults.

RR Vogue - doesn't handle but looks good.

Cayenne - butt ugly but fast.

X5 - footballer's wives image but good allrounder.

The only criticism I had of the Touareg was it was a bit front heavy with that huge 5.0L V10. Apart from that I'd put it up there with the best.

Soldato
OP
Spie said:
The Touareg V10 is one of the best cars I have ever owned, so much so that I've thought about buying another. It has incredible presence, superb build quality and that glorious torquemonster of an engine.
i read that as quite a recommendation.
to be honest i don't "know" anyone else that's owned one so i figured your POV would be pretty relevant hence the thread title.
Spie said:
RR Vogue - doesn't handle but looks good.
totally agree.definitely THE most tasteful of the 4x4's although the build quality is atrocious and the diesel is good for everything except making the car move.
Spie said:
Cayenne - butt ugly but fast.
the turbo version performs incredibly for a car of this type....although you need to remember Jordan has one :rolleyes: there goes the image :p
is there a diesel Cayenne?
Spie said:
X5 - footballer's wives image but good allrounder.
a very good car, shame it's image is summed up by two words.
Bling Bling.

thnx for the reply.

Permabanned
No Diesel Cayenne I'm afraid. So you can imagine the running costs!

Especially of the Turbo! :eek:

All i can say is get your butt down to a VW garage and test drive the V10 Touareg. Even the V6 is awesome and incredible value for money.

You will not be dissapointed. Its definately a family lugger that I will be looking at in the future. IF I can warrant the 4wd'ness.

In the end i'll probably end up with a 535d M Sport E60 (latest shape)..

272bhp and 560nm@2000rpm and 0-62 in 6.6s makes this one punchy family estate!

Back
Top Bottom