Split Air con

Associate
Isn't 58db pretty loud? If you can deal with that it looks ideal for a self install unit.

Good point, which is why I was hoping to see some reviews but I think its a new unit. Google says 60db is 'Conversation in restaurant, office, background music, Air conditioning unit at 100 feet'

Soldato
Good point, which is why I was hoping to see some reviews but I think its a new unit. Google says 60db is 'Conversation in restaurant, office, background music, Air conditioning unit at 100 feet'
That's it, 100 feet except you'll be sat next to it. But I wonder if it's 58db of it's on or only at full speed. Need to find out if it drops to a more livingroom friendly dB during normal running.

Associate
AD product is rubbish, compressor is in the room, would be easier, cheaper and avoid drilling two holes by buying a portable unit.

I am guessing that is why its noisy, because of the inbuilt compressor? Its a fair point, just keen on an AC/Heating unit which i can install myself. Will await some reviews!

Soldato
Only works in modern houses as well. The idea is you open your Windows all night get the house down to say 19c, then close them as soon as the temp goes above that outside. Your house should then stay cooler through the day.

You'll know if this works if your house holds onto heat overnight in winter.

Plan on paying for a split aircon come the autumn.. For now I am doing the best I can with a thermal camera, trying to improve the thermal envelope on our ~1970s build detatched.

The boys bedroom, this warm edge is the loft eaves, where the insulation is kept back...
kldVHPVl.jpg

12" fan infront of a bucket of water to cool the room. Does help a bit.
ItO13B1l.jpg

Garage, cant you guess which part of the roof I still havent got around to putting the silver foil bubble wrap insulation onto?
T1fxJ6Bl.jpg

Its quite interesting, can also use it to see where pipes are under the carpets!
Hl3Ljb8l.jpg
Thats looking at the carpet, with the boiler making hot water. Very clear where the runs are!

Soldato
Is it possible to have a standard wall mount unit and a loft type on the same system?
Thinking it may be the only way to not have condensation pumps.

People are making rather a lot of noise about pumps above but our upstairs unit has one and if installed correctly they are nothing to worry about. I think there was one instance a few weeks after having it installed that I could hear a gentle knocking sound when the pump would kick in (as and when it needed to remove water) - popped up into the loft and found that one of the tubes was dangling just slightly too loose-ly and tapping against the wall. A careful adjustment to pull a little more of it through where it was cable-tied onto the main piping for the system and no more noise. You literally cannot hear it so don't freak out too much about it (just my 2 pence)

Soldato
Is it possible to have a standard wall mount unit and a loft type on the same system?
Thinking it may be the only way to not have condensation pumps.
The wall unit and the loft unit would both be the 'internal' piece, so would be doing the same thing. The important thing - to not need a pump - is that there's no point at which piping from the internal piece to the external piece has to travel upwards.

So a wall unit where it can go directly through the wall then down, fine. But if it has to go up in to the loft, then across, then down - pump needed.

A loft unit 'cheats' by using ducting so the unit isn't where the output is. So the condensate pipe can be entirely downwards even though the air output isn't the highest point of the system.

That's my understanding anyway, but I'm no expert!

Location?

About 20 miles south of Manchester.

Man of Honour
Hi

I previously looked at getting a split aircon unit but the install fee, requiring a gas engineer, made it too high.
I just came across this and wondered if anyone has this unit please?

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/iqool-smart12hp/electriq-iqoolsmart12hp-air-conditioner?wgu=272125_116019_16267862509707_dc48457d9c&wgexpiry=1634562250&utm_source=digidip GmbH&utm_medium=webgains&refsource=webgains

in the Q&A someone asked

Does this unit need to be gassed or do I just install and it’s ready to go I won’t need any thing else

Answer from Nick .The unit doesn't need gassing - it is ready to go

For £700 and what looks like an easy install, I am tempted but cannot find any reviews.

Thank you
I don't have that unit but the Unico one which is narrower but sticks out more, as I don't have enough width space on the wall it has to be on.
It is quieter and more efficient than using a portable as it vents straight out and not messing with a hose/window, but not as good as a split system (which I couldn't easily do at my house, hence going for next best thing). It is a fairly permanent install as you're core drilling out two ~160mm holes (depending on model) but I intend to just leave it where whenever I move next so not really a problem.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Cheers Duke just like yoghurt I was looking at that system the other day, drilling 2 giant 160mm holes vs diy job on an AC sounded too good to be true.

Will continue dreaming and saving up for an split AC for 4 rooms at this point.

Associate
I don't have that unit but the Unico one which is narrower but sticks out more, as I don't have enough width space on the wall it has to be on.
It is quieter and more efficient than using a portable as it vents straight out and not messing with a hose/window, but not as good as a split system (which I couldn't easily do at my house, hence going for next best thing). It is a fairly permanent install as you're core drilling out two ~160mm holes (depending on model) but I intend to just leave it where whenever I move next so not really a problem.
Many thanks Duke, will take a look.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Just had a guy come to look, our house had a large central stairwell which basically every room connects to.

Hes suggested instead of individual units in each room (was planning ducted through ceiling to the 3 bedrooms), to have one larger unit in the stairwell (8kw) to cover the entire house.

It does kind of make sense, and also means we get the downstairs cooled as well, aside from the running cost what other negatives? The actual cost installed being a single unit is cheaper...

Soldato
Just had a guy come to look, our house had a large central stairwell which basically every room connects to.

Hes suggested instead of individual units in each room (was planning ducted through ceiling to the 3 bedrooms), to have one larger unit in the stairwell (8kw) to cover the entire house.

It does kind of make sense, and also means we get the downstairs cooled as well, aside from the running cost what other negatives? The actual cost installed being a single unit is cheaper...

I guess you lose per room control?
If a door is shut that room loses its access to the conditioned air?

RJC

RJC

Don

I don’t think that will work very well, how will you channel the cool air into the rooms? You would need to a return or vent at least so the cool air will be drawn into that room amd you may need to add vents to the doors to ensure a balanced system.

At the moment I have a 3.5kw split on my landing and I need a fan to push the cold air into the bedroom.

Sgarrista
Commissario
I don’t think that will work very well, how will you channel the cool air into the rooms? You would need to a return or vent at least so the cool air will be drawn into that room amd you may need to add vents to the doors to ensure a balanced system.

At the moment I have a 3.5kw split on my landing and I need a fan to push the cold air into the bedroom.

Didnt consider this, very good point.

Soldato
@kindai I have a setup a bit like you describe and it works great for us... Search back in this thread for my posts for pics and description but it's basically one massive powerful unit on the upstairs landing (3 storeys) and one weaker unit in the downstairs kitchen/family room. The limitations are true but when it's this hot nobody is going to mind keeping their door open for the sweet sweet conditioned air

Sgarrista
Commissario
@kindai I have a setup a bit like you describe and it works great for us... Search back in this thread for my posts for pics and description but it's basically one massive powerful unit on the upstairs landing (3 storeys) and one weaker unit in the downstairs kitchen/family room. The limitations are true but when it's this hot nobody is going to mind keeping their door open for the sweet sweet conditioned air

Does it effectively cover the whole house, or is it obvious that it could be better?

Soldato
Does it effectively cover the whole house, or is it obvious that it could be better?

It makes the whole house comfortable, of course I'm sure having a unit in every room would be better from a control perspective but since our aim really is just to have the house not hit 30, 35+ whenever we have a hot spell it does that amazingly.. Have never run the units above fan level 2 (of 5) where they are still pretty quiet but can tell there's a lot more cooling power there if you really wanted it. The middle floor gets the least benefit but still way better than but having it, so yeah very happy overall

Back
Top Bottom