Split Air con

Soldato
I just had split Aircon installed. Three units + outdoor main one.

They installed pumps below each AC unit which make a terrible noise every time. In my bedroom it wakes me up.
They claim they'd need a way of using gravity to get the water away without a pump.
I said that I would have taken this into consideration regarding unis placement had they told me beforehand.

Were they just being lazy?

I'm hoping they might come and do gravity drainage on every one since the noise is awful.
I'm on the third floor.

Which brand of units did they fit? I heard that some brands the fans are a lot noisey than others, 1 installer mentioned panasonic was a bad one.

Man of Honour
I just had split Aircon installed. Three units + outdoor main one.

They installed pumps below each AC unit which make a terrible noise every time. In my bedroom it wakes me up.
They claim they'd need a way of using gravity to get the water away without a pump.
I said that I would have taken this into consideration regarding unis placement had they told me beforehand.

Were they just being lazy?

I'm hoping they might come and do gravity drainage on every one since the noise is awful.
I'm on the third floor.

That’s why I have all mine on outer walls with pipes going straight out and with gravity. That’s rubbish if they didn’t give you options. You can get silent pumps, but in my mind it’s just another thing to go wrong and an additional cost in most scenarios.

Man of Honour
How noisy are the outside units on these things?

Most of the time barely audible on ours, especially the smallest unit - our triple unit is perhaps slightly louder. Even on a 30C+ day quieter than most indoor fans set on medium/high. I think our neighbour was quite surprised.

Soldato
Well we're getting the 5.5kW version fitted in a fortnight. I'm intrigued as to where they're going to get the electrical feed from, but he says it won't be a problem!

A guy coming around next week to look at increasing the loft hatch size too. I'm still pretty keen on vents for the upstairs rooms rather than wall mounts.

Soldato
Been considering putting something in my office. It’s a walled off corner of the garage with no connection to the heating system in the house so I primarily want something to keep it warm through winter (Had an electric heater controlled by a cheap timer/thermostat unit this year) with cooling in summer being a bonus (Got a large SW facing window so it can get pretty uncomfortable on a sunny afternoon)

I’m thinking a ducted system with the unit in the garage loft could work pretty well.

I also have a 15U wall mounted cabinet mounted right up by the ceiling with some network kit, UPS and small server in it. One side benefit I’d also like to get is to potentially use the unit to keep the cabinet temperatures down, possibly by ducting cooled air directly into it. Obviously I’d not want to duct warm air into here when the unit is being used for heating so when using a heating/cooling unit in a ducted setup are the warm/cool outlets typically separate or does the unit have a single outlet?

RJC

RJC

Don
Been considering putting something in my office. It’s a walled off corner of the garage with no connection to the heating system in the house so I primarily want something to keep it warm through winter (Had an electric heater controlled by a cheap timer/thermostat unit this year) with cooling in summer being a bonus (Got a large SW facing window so it can get pretty uncomfortable on a sunny afternoon)

I’m thinking a ducted system with the unit in the garage loft could work pretty well.

I also have a 15U wall mounted cabinet mounted right up by the ceiling with some network kit, UPS and small server in it. One side benefit I’d also like to get is to potentially use the unit to keep the cabinet temperatures down, possibly by ducting cooled air directly into it. Obviously I’d not want to duct warm air into here when the unit is being used for heating so when using a heating/cooling unit in a ducted setup are the warm/cool outlets typically separate or does the unit have a single outlet?

The same coil is used for heating and cooling, the condenser has a reversing valve which diverts the discharge from the compressor to the indoor unit.

You would need to fit an isolation damper for use when heating mode is selected.

Soldato
Ok, sounds like I’ll just rely on the reduced ambient temperature of the room to keep it under control. This has been my first summer with the cabinet in here and everything seemed to cope when the room temp was at 32 degrees last week so there’s no pressing need to actively cool it, just thought it would be a nice benefit if it was just a case of running some extra ducting.

Soldato
Well we're getting the 5.5kW version fitted in a fortnight. I'm intrigued as to where they're going to get the electrical feed from, but he says it won't be a problem!

Hmm, I'd be a bit dubious over this, most manuals call for a circuit breaker and RCD protection. With a 5.5kw system I would imagine that'll mean a 16amp breaker. Plus any reconfiguration of a circuit beyond a simple spur would require an electrician to sign off really.

Soldato
It’ll likely only need 1500w or so, they’re usually efficient to a factor of 4ish. So it won’t need anything like 16A, maybe 6A, so could be fused to 10A which is pretty standard?

However, I’m not sure what the regs require for these things.

Soldato
Hmm, I'd be a bit dubious over this, most manuals call for a circuit breaker and RCD protection. With a 5.5kw system I would imagine that'll mean a 16amp breaker. Plus any reconfiguration of a circuit beyond a simple spur would require an electrician to sign off really.
Such a load of rubbish all this electrician nonsense. If your competent just do it yourself.

I have an old shower circuit that I will be repurposing.

Associate
We went for a Mitsubishi Heavy Industries 6kw Multi Split Condenser with a 3.5kw mounted unit in the main bedroom and a 5kw mounted unit in the kitchen/living area.

Both units have wireless smart control and is quiet when both units are in operation, I normally need silence when going to sleep and the unit doesn’t stop me from sleeping. It’s been a life saver in this weather is a 3 month old baby - we still use our duvets and our daughter is still able to sleep in her baby sleep bag. There no better feeling than walking into the room after a long hot day and the unit is doing it’s thing.

The installer arranged for a certified Eletrition to wire power into the main box.
We paid around £2.6k.

Soldato
Such a load of rubbish all this electrician nonsense. If your competent just do it yourself.

I have an old shower circuit that I will be repurposing.

Well that argument is as old as time. The thing is if you're a legitimate business you have to abide by the rules, having a "that'll do" attitude and later finding out the installation caused a fire and wasn't certified by an electrician will likely see the end of your business. Not to mention it's dishonest, the price for the job should include all this to begin with.

Soldato
We went for a Mitsubishi Heavy Industries 6kw Multi Split Condenser with a 3.5kw mounted unit in the main bedroom and a 5kw mounted unit in the kitchen/living area.

If you're using both then presumably each is limited to 3kw cooling capacity? Not something you probably encounter though as the bedroom one won't be on during the day and vice versa?

Soldato
Yes but also in reality you’ll not be drawing the peak power except for at start up to get the temps up or down in first instance. On tickover they will be drawing a fraction of that.

Associate
If you're using both then presumably each is limited to 3kw cooling capacity? Not something you probably encounter though as the bedroom one won't be on during the day and vice versa?
We do sometimes use both at the same time - we keep the downstairs unit on overnight as that’s where the dog sleeps. Performance doesn’t seem to be impacted.

Back
Top Bottom