Split Air con

Man of Honour
We do sometimes use both at the same time - we keep the downstairs unit on overnight as that’s where the dog sleeps. Performance doesn’t seem to be impacted.

You won’t notice it until a really hot day, if we even get hot enough days to push it that much. It’s certainly noticeable on a 35C type day how much harder the units work. I’m sure 99% of the time it’d be fine.

Associate
You won’t notice it until a really hot day, if we even get hot enough days to push it that much. It’s certainly noticeable on a 35C type day how much harder the units work. I’m sure 99% of the time it’d be fine.

Sounds about right. The unit outside only occasionally spins up but you can’t hear it from inside and the wall units are nice and quiet.

Man of Honour
Sounds about right. The unit outside only occasionally spins up but you can’t hear it from inside and the wall units are nice and quiet.

Wait until a really hot day. It’s something to behold to see our usually inactive 7.5Kw unit pumping out heat on a hot day and blowing the hedge out the way. Amazingly it’s still quiet.

I’m not a fan of the heat, but knowing I can step inside to cool down makes it somewhat bearable. My gaming room never heats up anymore, it’s bliss.

Associate
Wait until a really hot day. It’s something to behold to see our usually inactive 7.5Kw unit pumping out heat on a hot day and blowing the hedge out the way. Amazingly it’s still quiet.

I’m not a fan of the heat, but knowing I can step inside to cool down makes it somewhat bearable. My gaming room never heats up anymore, it’s bliss.
We have a south facing garden and the unit is located out there. To be fair, I don’t tend to set it below 20c which is more than enough when it’s sweltering out.

Soldato
Hmm, I'd be a bit dubious over this, most manuals call for a circuit breaker and RCD protection. With a 5.5kw system I would imagine that'll mean a 16amp breaker. Plus any reconfiguration of a circuit beyond a simple spur would require an electrician to sign off really.

To be clear, he didn't say it won't be a problem because he'll bodge it. He said it won't be a problem because the contracted electrician he employs won't struggle to find a way to supply it. (as I say, I think the larger price jump to the 5.5 version is to do with needing the services of an electrician.

I'll still be interested to see where it's going to be connected though. :)

Soldato
I thought I'd understood that a feed from a standard ring main wouldn't be sufficient - but quite likely I am wrong and it was just that it can't be connected to such with a simple plug. I am not knowledgeable about house electrics, so I can't remember what a standard ring main can handle, and therefore whether he can just spur off the nearest one.

Soldato
Ring mains are generally 32amp. Wouldn't be a good idea putting something on a ring main that needs any where near that though.
Rings are an outdated method and shouldn't be used anymore IMO.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I thought I'd understood that a feed from a standard ring main wouldn't be sufficient - but quite likely I am wrong and it was just that it can't be connected to such with a simple plug. I am not knowledgeable about house electrics, so I can't remember what a standard ring main can handle, and therefore whether he can just spur off the nearest one.
A 5.5kw AC system will pull what...at worst 1.5-1.6KW from the mains which is at most around 7A. Way inside the capability of a normal UK plug (or in this case the hard wired equivalent of a switched fused spur with a mid sized normal fuse in it). You wont need anything fancy for a 5.5kw :)

Associate
I had the Mitsubishi system fitted today, the installer struggled to get the unit I wanted, all in all I can’t tell a difference between the pre gassed system and the professional system both are amazingly quiet inside and out, and to be fair they cool the room down nice, I will say the look and feel of the Mitsubishi system is a little bit better than the pre-gassed system and the condenser on the Mitsubishi system is a lot smaller than expected. I am glad I have the bedrooms done now it’s a worth while investment and I’ll update the thread when I have used them in the winter.

Associate
I will get you some ASAP to anyone else with A/C in the bedroom do you leave it on all time and just set the temp and if so what temperature?

The reason I ask is leaving mine on around 21 degrees seems ok and having a new born in the same bedroom she seems to sleep and settle better with a stable temperature.

Man of Honour
I will get you some ASAP to anyone else with A/C in the bedroom do you leave it on all time and just set the temp and if so what temperature?

The reason I ask is leaving mine on around 21 degrees seems ok and having a new born in the same bedroom she seems to sleep and settle better with a stable temperature.

We set it to 23C and leave it on night mode. It trickles out as and when it’s need and you can barely hear it. I rarely set them below 23C, unless I need to cool down.

Back
Top Bottom