Spoofing Calling Line Identification (CLID)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
They probably allow it so that companies with multiple outgoing numbers can show you the correct incoming number that you can call back on.
Stopping spoofing wouldn't do much good at countering spam calls anyway because they would just buy virtual numbers to use for pennies.

Soldato
Telco's get paid regardless so don't put the effort in. Only way to enforce it would be globally, with your local provider refusing to connect calls from other providers who fail to obey the rules.

There are a number of legitimate reasons for suppressing a caller ID, but none for faking one.

The main source of these I come across is dodgy VOIP providers in places like India and Pakistan.

Soldato
I understand that now to fulfil regulation you have to display an ID if cold calling.
The gimps seem to bypass this but displaying a local area number from somewhere in the UK, which can't be called back, and isn't traceable.

Telecoms need to sort this out.
It could be easily done, and stop this scam calling.

Permabanned
Apple devices have a block all except numbers on your allow list. If you don’t want spam calls you could implement that.

Not sure if Android has it though.

On a business line you could implement a call blocking feature I suppose but not sure if you would want to do that on a business line.

The problem is you can buy a voip number and have it set up within mins these days so if you buy a block of numbers it doesn’t take long to be able to spoof an outgoing line with no incoming routing and or redirection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom