Sporting events that you are still upset by in terms of the result

Associate
That one was sweet pain for me, I treated the bar in “The Ship” Rotherhithe when we won that one, it could have been worse, but there were only about 25 people in the pub.
On that note I’m still trying to come to terms with being knocked out of the recent Euros by Switzerland.
One of the worst for me was Gerrard’s goal in the 90th minute against West Ham in the 2006 F.A. Cup Final, Liverpool went on to win on penalties.

Why did someone have to mention the gerrard goal :( :(

Man of Honour
Not so much a single event but watching my local football team slide in one continuous motion from championship to national league about as quickly as it is possible to do so.

Associate

This... I was upset before we lost.. and I'd still have been upset if we'd won... Sure, he gets a yellow but that is SO cynical (and calling it a "professional foul" isn't appropriate really either)

Yeah, still upset! :)

Associate
Plus also upset for the poor lad when he took the final penalty... That could ruin him mentally for so long. The senior players didnt step up (well some didnt!)

Man of Honour
Plus also upset for the poor lad when he took the final penalty... That could ruin him mentally for so long. The senior players didnt step up (well some didnt!)

I make no claim to know how these things work, but I thought that the manager decides who takes the penalties, and in which order his players take them.

Soldato
1979: Arsenal 3 Man Utd 2. I can still feel the dead leg Andrew Heyward gave me on the Monday morning for being an Arsenal supporter. Taught me a valuable lesson... be careful what you wish for!

0tEEFku.jpg
P

Soldato
Federer having 2 championship points on his serve at Wimbledon 2019.

Get either in he’s champion. Went on to lose in the tie breaker in the fifth. Which was changed because of serving bots taking 2 days to complete matches.

Associate
I make no claim to know how these things work, but I thought that the manager decides who takes the penalties, and in which order his players take them.

but players are asked if they want to also... I admire those that did step up... but hard on them

Man of Honour
The 'hand of god' unpleasantness is the first one that comes to mind...

J7xpCPZ.jpg

How the hell did a world class keeper who was at least a foot taller than the dwarf not get to the ball before him? - shocking.
That is all I think of when I see that picture, I don't blame Maradona but only blame Shilton who was my hero at Stoke for years.

Soldato
How the hell did a world class keeper who was at least a foot taller than the dwarf not get to the ball before him? - shocking.
That is all I think of when I see that picture, I don't blame Maradona but only blame Shilton who was my hero at Stoke for years.

Probably because Shilton thought he had it covered as he never expected Maradona to use his hand.

If Maradona didn't use his hand Shilton would have got it and it wouldn't have been a goal.

I've never heard anyone blaming Shilton for that moment, tbh, and definitely think he should go back on your hero list :p

Soldato
Shilton said he was nowhere near it and he is still one of my boyhood heroes.

Maybe both would have missed it, dunno, in the photo it looks like Shilton's hand might be closer to the ball than Maradona's head.

Either way, Maradona cheated. Shilton had zero blame in that incident, imo, but you're free to blame him and not Maradona if you like :p

Man of Honour
Maybe both would have missed it, dunno, in the photo it looks like Shilton's hand might be closer to the ball than Maradona's head.

Either way, Maradona cheated. Shilton had zero blame in that incident, imo, but you're free to blame him and not Maradona if you like :p

I don't blame either really, footballers will always try to cheat, I've even seen Lineker put one in with his hand.
Maradona never expected it to be given so the only people you can blame are the Ref & Linesman.

Associate
This was a painful one to watch, but more painful for me was Dan Hardy vs Carlos Condit - was really rooting for Dan and it was my first, and only to date, Live UFC event :(

I remember clearly, was a lovely punch and totally gutting.. if Hardy had of been literally 2 inches further away it would have likely been the opposite result.

I was in attendance for both of those :(

You we're at UFC 100 ! Legendary !! That must have been an amazing experience regardless of the result.

I managed to get to Fight Night 30 but Bisping pulled out with an eye injury :eek: Machida's head kick KO was wicked though :D

Back
Top Bottom