Sports Car Suggestions

Associate
Hello fellow Overclockers.

As per title, I am looking for Sports Car Suggestions.
I have included a list of car's below, that I am seriously looking at and researching pro's/con's.
But I am asking for your collective suggestions, experiences and idea's for similar cars.

Presently I drive a MK2 Megane 6-8K Miles annually on A Roads. :)
I am looking at cars that generally are smaller, lighter and faster.
I apologies for a broad specification, but I am trully spoilt for choice.
- £20K Max
- RWD/4WD
- Manual/Automatic
- Coupe/Convertable
- 2+ Seats
- Petrol

I am presently looking at the following cars, with notes:
As they seem to meet my criteria, and interest me for many number of reasons...

Mazda MX5 MK3
+ 2Litre 158BHP, cheap maintenance, convertible.
- Sill's rust?

Mazda MX5 MK4
+ 2Litre 158BHP SE-L Spec, modern, convertible.
- Expensive!

Honda S2000
+ 2Litre 240BHP, modern classic, convertible.
- Expensive insurance.

Nissan 350Z
+ 3.5Litre V6 306BHP, coupe.
- Don't like interior.

Nissan 370Z GT
+ 3.7Litre V6 326BHP, 268lb/ft Torque, coupe, modern nav + radio.
- Known problems?

BMW Z4 3.0 (E85/E86)
+ 3Litre 265BHP, 232lb/ft Torque, love the looks especially simple interior.
- Known problems?

BMW Z4M 3.2 (E85/E86)
+ 3.2Litre 343BHP, 269lb/ft Torque, modern appreciating classic, Raw sports car.
- Expensive to purchase and maintain.

BMW Z4 3.0 35is
+ 3Litre 335BHP, 332lb/ft Torque, turbo's, love the cars looks inside & out.
- Expensive to purchase and maintain, turbo + injector failure!

Thank you for taking the time to read my thread, I look forward to your suggestions, and a lively discussion by all! Regards Seanoog.

Soldato
Toyobaru BR86? They're well under £20k now and eminently tunable if that's a draw at all. Even if not, they're an excellent drive, more so than most other cars on the list in terms of pure fun.

As for the E85/E86 Z4, don't bother with the E86 (the Coupe), it has all the drawbacks of the Roadster (minus roof motor issues) without the main benefit of the roof. The interior looks nice enough but it's pretty cheap and rattles a lot, particularly the coupe.

Soldato
Toyobaru BR86? They're well under £20k now and eminently tunable if that's a draw at all. Even if not, they're an excellent drive, more so than most other cars on the list in terms of pure fun.

As for the E85/E86 Z4, don't bother with the E86 (the Coupe), it has all the drawbacks of the Roadster (minus roof motor issues) without the main benefit of the roof. The interior looks nice enough but it's pretty cheap and rattles a lot, particularly the coupe.

:mad:

But seriously, mine doesn't rattle and I love the body shape, each to their own I guess

Man of Honour
If you want a proper sports car, what about an Elise/Exige? Ticks the boxes you have mentioned and will give you a much sharper sports car than any of those listed. It depends if you need any form of practicality as they are not great on that and if you have a big frame clambering in and out can be a pain in the ass due to their wide sills but one going they are a proper weekend car that will make you smile more than anything you list, though what you list all have their merits.

Associate
Z4m from a BMW dealer,1 year warranty should cover anything expensive unless it needs new front disks like mine did. Then pay for the warranty after and you mostly covered. I cant think of a better 2 seated at this price point unless you don't need any comfort/practically in which case do what housey said.

Associate
:mad:

But seriously, mine doesn't rattle and I love the body shape, each to their own I guess

Same here the only rattle I had was the glove box. Also the passenger seat belt knocks with no one in it if you forget to put it over the seat bolster.
E86 looks great and is the better looking but I wanted a drop top so opted for the e85.

Caporegime
I'd go for a nice S2000 and use the change to make a few tweaks, they are great cars albeit a little bitey if you are an aggressive driver.

And lol @grudas - Thats exactly what I said about your car. Its pointless because its a convertible without the convertibleness. :D (But I like it)

Caporegime
S2000, sensible place to put the money however for a £20k budget you there are plenty of options. I think at £10k the S2000 is a no brainer.

GT86 everyone raves about, but I'm still not convinced.

Soldato
What does it do that that the convertible doesn't other than cost more and not have a folding roof?

I prefer the looks, simple as :) convertible has never looked quite right for me but each to their own, taste is subjective.

all I'm saying is that mine doesn't rattle, there's that seat belt issue that @Usel mentioned but that's hardly a game breaking thing!

I love the rarity of it, the shape and the way it looks from different angles. IMO it is one of the more unique cars on the road that I know.

cost is subjective in a sense that it will always cost more to buy and sell for more so if you can afford it and love the shape then I see no reason to skip it.

Caporegime
Z4m from a BMW dealer,1 year warranty should cover anything expensive unless it needs new front disks like mine did. Then pay for the warranty after and you mostly covered. I cant think of a better 2 seated at this price point unless you don't need any comfort/practically in which case do what housey said.

Z4M from an official dealer with option for further warranty for less than £20K. Is that possible?

Back
Top Bottom