Spy chips in our cars?

Soldato
Why does everyone jump to stupid conclusions when it comes to transport headlines? Probably because the media are so awful at reporting the facts (or at least very good at selecting the sensationalist ones). If a system is completely unworkable, then it won't even get past the 'scrap of paper' stage. Use your common sense people!

Speeding fines would not be based on a few seconds of speeding. There are cases where speeding is justified... for short periods. On a motorcycle, I've been taught that the police have no problems with short bursts of 25% over the limit (as a rough rule of thumb) if it gets you out of a dangerous position quicker. Overtaking is a perfect example, the shorter time you're in the opposite lane, the better. Doing 75 in a 60 zone for several minutes might well land you a fine, but surely that's justified?

Yes, the system would have to be based on GPS, but there will probably be some measure to stop you from blocking the signal. However, GPS is far from ideal. The radio frequency it uses is blocked by water (I've no idea why they chose that band), so rain can seriously deplete the signal and leafy trees can pretty much block it completely. Tall buildings in city centres are also pretty effective at reducing the self-locating ability.

The next measure to affect motorists will probably be a chip imbedded in the numberplate rather than this spy system. The cost of the assembly is roughly £1 and would be included in the MOT. You get a new plate every year, but the battery lasts 3 years if it has to. The chip emitts a short range radio message that identifies the vehicle. The police can then check the identifier against a database. Chips will be hard to fake. In the end it's just a high-tech numberplate and doesn't really offer much more, except ease of use. This will help stop unregistered/untaxed cars. The technology has already been demonstrated and manufactured at low cost, so don't expect it to be far away...

Soldato
Sorry, I just re-read the BBC article. This has been around for quite a while. They are proposing using the existing blue Trafficmaster poles as staging points. If the whole section is a 50mph road and you average a higher speed on the whole section, then you could be fined. The poles are generally a couple of miles apart, so it would not stop people from overtaking a bus or something. It would require some sort of on-vehicle transponder, like the one I mentioned previously, but there's no reason why it wouldn't work with existing numberplates, EXCEPT they're too easy to obscure, fake and mis-read. The transponder would prevent this.

Soldato
wouldn't you just hang on to your old plates and swap them off after and on for the MOTs?

I won't be happy if we have to pay to put these devices on, unless they can give us some benefit?
What about track days or off road stuff? Navman gps stuff gets confused and can put you on a different road if two are running near each other, can't imagine this being any different, and whose going to map all the speedlimits and the roads?

I don't speed btw (given up a while back).

Soldato
It will be illegal to drive without the numberplate transponder. It will be very easy to detect too as your car won't be giving off the required signature.

What difference does it make to track days?

Roadside poles will detect vehicles passing by them. They will not be placed anywhere where they can get confused as the transponder range is only a few metres.

There are several databases that contain road speeds already, otherwise how would route planners know how fast you can go?

Here's how it works. You pass a roadside detector and it records the time you were there and relays it back to a central database. A few miles down the same road, you pass another one, which again sends off your details. At the central database, the ID's and times are compared. If an ID was found to get to one place too quickly, then your ID is looked up for the address of the vehicle owner and a fine gets sent.

The benefit will be a reduction in vehicles without road tax, insurance, MOT, etc. This will reduce accidents, vehicle theft, etc, so it should make motoring cheaper.

Soldato
OP
yeah, its a little more serious than other schemes as it doesnt require so much money to get going and a lot of the infrastructure is already in place, just has to be adapted.

Guigsy: you forgot the other happy benefit of the police/goverment knowing where you/your car is located. Call me crazy but I happen to think this infringes somewhat on my rights.

Soldato
Your ID will only get turned into a name and address if you violate the rules though. I know it's not nice, but how do you argue against it?

Trafficmaster track you already using encripted numberplates. There are loads of numberplate cameras around already, what's the difference?

Soldato
OP
My point is do you really trust the people who will be running this to use it purely for what they say they will. I personally (and i'm sure many other people) dont trust our government as far as I could throw them.
With reference to the Trafficmaster system if they actually track numberplates once more people become aware of how their system works they might find they are suffering from a lot more hardware malfunctions.

There needs to be a medium between peoples privacy and upholding the law, IMO its swinging too far away from our rights at the moment, just so someone can make a quick buck.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
In some ways, I'd have to say "so what".
Just how often do we get to genuinely drive quickly for any period of time, apart from when packed onto a motorway as a sardine, when everyone drives at 80mph?

On a backroad, when was the last time that you had a clear and empty road without the inevitable micra driver running at 45, complete with a 100' road train of traffic all sat nose to tail behind him, because they have no idea about how to overtake someone, so have so little braking distance that they prevent anyone else doing it.

Soldato
To any Govt considering implementing this crap, all i can say is i dare you.

No, actually - i double dare you, you dirty stinkin dumbass mofo's.

:mad:

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Mr_Sukebe
In some ways, I'd have to say "so what".
Just how often do we get to genuinely drive quickly for any period of time, apart from when packed onto a motorway as a sardine, when everyone drives at 80mph?

On a backroad, when was the last time that you had a clear and empty road without the inevitable micra driver running at 45, complete with a 100' road train of traffic all sat nose to tail behind him, because they have no idea about how to overtake someone, so have so little braking distance that they prevent anyone else doing it.

That REALLY ****** me off.
People stuck behind say a horsebox all about 10ft behind each other, maybe 5 cars behind it. The first two would EASILY be able to SAFELY overtake at various points in the road (straight sections with good visibility (flat)), but they don't. YOU can't pull up closer because they don't leave a space for you. YOU can't overtake safely because you don't have a mighty turbo to speed you past them.

As a result you're made to sit at 35mph for about 10 miles until the gooner driving the horsebox pulls over (very rare) into a layby or ponces off into the field WHERE HORSES BELONG ANYWAY (I'm not a horse fan, can you tell? :))

This causes stress, impatience and will lead to people taking excessive risks. Normally other drivers overtaking on the lead up to blind corners or the crest of a hill, which is NEVER safe. It's something I avoid.

I'm not the most patient driver in the world - I doubt anyone is. But driving at a little over 50% of the speed limit shouldn't be allowed, unless you're a tractor (or it's icy/snowing, but that's obvious ;)) .

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally posted by Kitchster_uk
It is sad that the motorist is now considered a priority over the terrorist in the UK.:rolleyes: :(

The motorist in this country is far more dangerous than the terrorist!! 3000+ people die on the roads... how many people have died at the hands of terrorists?

On the whole I'm pro chips in cars. I think they should be used for locating stolen cars, calling emergency services after accidents, storing and transmitting insurance and MOT data etc...

Everyone seems worried about the big brother issues, being fined for overtaking someone etc... That's never going to happen! Everyone know you have to break the speed limit in the name of safety sometimes. I think they are an inevitable next step.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
When they installed first speed cameras did you ever think they would also put them on straight downhill stretch of the road, without pavements on the sides? Is that where speeding downhill 35 in 30 mph area costs lives? Or is it the Limehouse Tunnel where people always speed up to stretch and unload the traffic and since the ancient times there was only one deadly accident and the driver was drunk? Surely 5 mile queue to enter the tunnel now is much safer option. A penny for every camera in London installed around school or nursery.
When they introduced red light cams did you ever think they would be mean enough to create dangerous passages, like the one on Tower Hill - right behind the corner, where the road turns to Lower Thames Street. The redlight goes few times an hour without anybody pressing button, you go 30mph with a car right behind you and right then and there, just behind the corner the light goes amber, you have 3 seconds, if you drive L reg Mondeo, you need 27 meters to stop, 2 seconds, you break hard that Landrover with need 36 meters to stop, that's on your butt. 1 second. You have to go for it. Red. Flash, flash, you jumped the red light man. You had a choice, you could let the Landrover driver leave you his insurance details.
When they said they would make your commuting easier did you ever think you would be pennalised £5 for driving into the city and public transport would get even slower and worse as even more Ken Livingstone approved half empty, overgrown doubledecker busses are stuck behind endless chains of foreign coaches skipping on Congestion Charge and parking tickets anyway?

You want to tell me that if I let them install chip in my car they're not going to turn it against me like they did with everything there is on the road in the past 5 years? You silly, silly man.

Zod

Zod

Associate
This is further evidence of a government that wants to govern by control rather than consent. Democratic government depends upon the consent of the people to being governed. When a government stoops to pre-emptive methods of control, it shows that it knows it does not have the people's consent to impose that control.

I am not usually one to cry foul at new legislation, but this would represent a massive step towards a police state.

Godfather
Godfather
If any government is stupid enough to have these chips fitted they would be out of office within 3 months. A completely ridiculous idea altogether.

Soldato
vOn, speeding does cost lives. The stopping distance at 35mph is a lot further than 30mph (not just 1/6th further). That 5mph can also double the death rate (or something similar).

If you're approaching a set of lights, you should be prepared to slow down. What if they were red already? It's probably why they're there.

Who said buses are slower in London? I thought they were now having to adjust all the time tables because they have to wait around too much. I don't think there are many people that work in the city that hate the congestion charge.

Why are they turning it against you? In what way? Blame the idiots that don't know how to drive. That's why we need all this enforcement.

This new yellow camera scheme... Councils are having to rip up cameras outside schools. If there hasn't been an accident there, then they're not allowed to have a camera there. Because of stupid backlash, kiddies have to be killed before a school is allowed a camera. Where does the money go? Not to the government, only to more enforcement. Nobody makes money out of it.

If there weren't so many mindless idiots who think it's someone elses fault when they get caught breaking the law....

Associate
Originally posted by Guigsy
This new yellow camera scheme... Councils are having to rip up cameras outside schools. If there hasn't been an accident there, then they're not allowed to have a camera there. Because of stupid backlash, kiddies have to be killed before a school is allowed a camera.

if they put the cameras in dangerous places, and not just where they will garner the most revenue, people would not be so frustrated in the first place, and they wouldnt have to remove cameras.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Disclaimer: The ranting below includes large quantities of foreign gramathics. Reader discretion is adviced.

vOn, speeding does cost lives. The stopping distance at 35mph is a lot further than 30mph (not just 1/6th further). That 5mph can also double the death rate (or something similar).

It's almost always around 6 metres or 21 feet for 1.5 tonne car. But I'm not questioning deadly effects of speeding or that speeding cost lives. What I do question is whether most of the cameras are indeed put in places to protect people. Take the Limehouse Link once again as example - how putting super-duper digital cameras around 4 lane underground highway and restricting the speed to 30 mph is saving lives? No pedestrians, vagabonds, neither mopeds nor bicycles are allowed in the tunnel, so I don't understand who’s life are we saving by clogging the only way in and out of the Embankment and Canary Wharf. The priority should be to empty the city as quickly as possible in rush hours. All the cameras around Highway, Wapping and Tower Hill are placed in the areas where pavements are separated from the street by iron fences. However, down the Embankment and Victoria Embankment where there is a true risk of confused tourist jumping from illegally parked left hand drive busses and drunks parade from bar to bar there is not a single camera for miles. Same county, same council. Yet, in the area fenced like a Top Gear test track speeding is bad, but in highly crowded areas of sustained risk you can as well do some bonnet bowling with German kids and Japanese photographers? I am anti speed, I am pro safety. I am hoever, against sponsoring councils of retards that can't assess risks and set their priorities correctly.

If you're approaching a set of lights, you should be prepared to slow down. What if they were red already? It's probably why they're there.

It's pedestrian crossing round the corner on slight slope. The more I look at it the more I’m convinced it was intentionally put there, just round the turn so you don't see it. no one ever wonders around there, the light goes red automatically at random times, I see it on at 5 a.m. and no soul anywhere in miles. There is a proper crossing for tourists, closer to the attractions, 15 meters away, clearly marked and visible. I travel that road twice a day and I see that flash going off few times a week. And believe me, 90% of times it is a choice between running empty pedestrian crossing on red or having bus full of tourists plow through your tailgate. Again, I'm not against red light cameras, but unless they are on big crossings, where you can stop the car behind the line they should also check whether there was pedestrian to cross the road or not. Not so difficult, if it can sense the car going by, it can sense whether the button was actually pushed or not. If there was no pedestrians and no risk, then the driver should be sent a written warning. Should you get 3 warnings in a year then the points would be deducted, you clearly behave like a Roadrunner. But otherwise I see no reason for whooping 3 points, an offence and wreck someone's insurance quotes because he just saved lives of his family on the back seat.
Funny thing about penalties - did you know that if it happened to me, a foreigner and I challenged this situation and, God save me, loose (and I would, cause I would have no evidence) there would be £6000 court order for challenging? Convenient - pay the fine, even if you know it wasn't right, or risk 6 grand on your head. What to choose, what do we choose?
Clearly this thing is getting out of hand. I call for governmental watchdog. To control where to put cameras, how to install them and configure. If there countermeasures already in place, don’t waste peoples time. And most of all run statistics. If there is a place that generates vast number of first time offenders every week, there is something wrong with place not the drivers.

Who said buses are slower in London? I thought they were now having to adjust all the time tables because they have to wait around too much. I don't think there are many people that work in the city that hate the congestion charge. Why are they turning it against you? In what way? Blame the idiots that don't know how to drive. That's why we need all this enforcement.

I live in so called zone 2, not too far from the my work - about 7, maybe 8 miles. It takes me 35-40 minutes to get to the City by DLR and tube. I tried bus during Central Line failure in April and May. 3 miles from Bank to Holborn took anywhere between 20 and 30 minutes. After few days I just walked, took 15 minutes on average. But that sounds about right, official reports said the cars are traveling about 1 mile an hour faster since CC introduction and the average speed increased from 9 to 10 miles per hour. Ergo, the buses in congestion charge are still ineffective, too slow to consider them a reasonable transportation.
But the story starts elsewhere.
First, you have to answer yourself who benefits from the Congestion Charge? Commuters? No, the trains are now more packed and their tickets aren’t any cheaper, in fact they are about to go up again. Traffic? No, read the above, less cars, but cars weren’t causing traffic, more about the numbers later. Environment? No, because what’s left on the road is much dirtier and smelly than what’s out. So, who does benefit out of this scheme? Transport For London and cabs.
Now, my point of view. It costs me £4 every day to get to work and back. Two way ticket. To travel 16 miles a day. My car would have to burn 20 litres of fuel to average £4 per 16 miles. Clearly it would be cheaper for me to get to the city by car. And it would be more convenient, as I wouldn’t have to change the trains. I took night shifts for the time being and drive to work after 7pm. Couldn’t be more happy. I don’t have to sniff someone’s armpits on Central Line, I don’t have to walk a mile to station. No cancelled trains, no broken ticket machines. Even if Germans abandon their busses on London Bridge approach again and traffic moves only 10 miles per hour on average I can just about make it in time comparable to the underground. I can not see any advantage for me, or my family to take the tube or bus.
But let’s look at the whole issue from yet another perspective:
They say since they got rid of personal cars from CC zone traffic dropped by 40%. That’s the figure Ken repeats most often. In reality it’s UP TO 40% of what it used to be, in reality in peak hours traffic is down by slightly less than 20%. It means, clearly, that 80% of all traffic was always caused by busses and taxis. Here’s an idea:
IN PEAK hours between 7:30am and 10:30am and from 2:30pm till 6:30pm

- Let private cars back to the city, all of them except vans. Diesel Vans would have to pay £5 congestion charge and petrol vans up to 2.0l £3 charge. That will stop firms running white van with every baguette all around the city.

- Busses on most routes are half empty and follow each other – make every other bus a small city cruiser, like the ones they use for City Airport, 30 seater, instead of double deckers

- Order busses to stick to bus lanes, basically reverse the bus lane scheme – busses will have only each other to overtake; they can’t enter areas outside bus lanes otherwise. However, to help public transport cabs will be banned from bus lanes. At the end of bus lanes and in-between them we’ll make them a shared zone of some description to get them safely to the next red lane.

- Introduce daily license and by force spread cabs across the city, evenly, using congestion charge scheme – those who refuse to work in controlled shifts or stick to their own areas and want to work in the city will have to pay £50 per day to the TFL. Finally poeple will be able to find cab on Finsbury Park and a space without a parked cab in Kings Cross. Who knows maybe even I will be able to take cab to supermarket down the road without cabby going “I’m not loosing my queue for 2 quid mate”.

- Introduce City Parkings, £4 per day, one carnet allows you to park anywhere in City. Do that instead of meters, build multilevel parking between buildings, convert basements to underground parking.

- Introduce land tax discounts for offices with own parkings.

How will that benefit London? Less double-deckers and less cabs will be cleaner for the city, they cause more pollution than all the petrol traffic altogether. There will be less busses illegally parked alongside river and city attractions, as daily parking for the buses that move around city on tour will finally cost less than accidental on the spot fine. Cheaper commuting will move money and investment back to London. The subsidised City Parking scheme will be easier to control than cameras and CC which, for the time being is making loss instead of profit if press is correct. Since cabs will have to stick to high need areas (train stations and coach arrivals) less black cabs cruising streets at low speed in search for McDonalds and yuppies will make traffic faster. Lack of them on bus lanes will make buses faster and more effective. Cab and what’s left of parking money will sponsor Underground, so Ken can cut fares by half, so it makes sense to take a tube instead of car, and it doesn’t cost more than daily minimum wage to get to part time work.

Why do that? Because there is no reason to penalise commuters or anyone else for your or your predecessors underachievements. Because personal cars are good for people that drive them. Because not everything has to make money in short run. Underground is on red? You don’t want to privatise it? Then just agree to losses. In the long run, the tube will bring people to work in London and you will charge them taxes, and their employers will pay taxes, and on their lunch break they will eat sandwiches from shops taxed by councils. Because councils make money on the local taxes, don't they? But what they have to always remember – is that they work for people that elected them. Not for the buses. Not for the photo developement people. Major and councils are not to make our life more difficult, not make our daily existence more expensive but to make it easier and better. It is mine, the citizens, the taxpayer's, my good, my convenience, and my comfort above any public company, union or strike. Me. The elector. Ich. <--. Moi. And once they get the priorities straight it will be soon before they realise – who gives a monkey hairy googles about Transport For London. If they can’t make money, make it competitive market, someone will.

Instead, if we let the bonkers continue treating motorized commuters like evil spawn we all know by 2005 Congestion Charge will be still making losses but at the time it will be across entire London and any city with more than 500,000 people.
If you think about it, just 20 years ago, your hippy dad would drive his VW Beetle to work, smoke in the office, park for free dowstairs, switch the telly to national channel in order to see England kicking three letters in World Cup. Today, for you, none of these things are allowed for free. And now they will tell you how they want to you to get to work.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good rant, well done! :D You up for round 3?

I've no idea where Limehouse Tunnel is, sorry. I'm assuming it's a fairly narrow thing with no pavements.

<devils_advocate setting="on">
If there was an accident (not fatal, just a shunt of a few vehicles), then it would quickly block the tunnel. Just a few minutes of blockage would create much bigger tail backs than a few speed cameras. To reduce the risk and severity of blockage, the speed has been reduced to 30mph.

To get the most vehicles through a section of road in a set amount of time, you don't want them to be driving as quickly as possible. Motorways have the greatest capacity at about 50mph (hence the variable speed limits on the M25), the smaller and lower spec the road is, the lower the optimum speed. I guess the tunnel's optimum speed is probably about 35-40. Using digital speed cameras means that drivers have to stick to the limit through the whole tunnel (not just under the camera), this makes everyones speed much more uniform, which improves capacity again.

London was/is congested. A few minutes of blocked road can cause huge tailbacks over a huge area. Cameras reduce speed, and reduce the severity and risk of shunts that cause road closures. Would you prefer to go a few seconds slower every day, or take an extra couple of hours a few times a year?

As for the red light camera, maybe it's because the crossing is so frequently jumped that there's a camera on there... It may have been an important crossing once upon a time, and the chance of removing it is very slim because someone would complain. Imagine the protests if the council took a road crossing away? It'd cost money and be bad publicity.

You're saying, if you put a camera in, and it catches loads of people breaking the law, then it's a bad thing? Best keep CCTV cameras out of dodgy city centres then. Speed kills. If you don't speed, you've got nothing to worry about.

I'm not going to comment on your walking ability. If you can walk at 12mph, then you shouldn't bother with a car either. To improve public transport, they need more money. The sad truth is that no money has been spent on rail for about 40 years. It costs a lot to keep it going in it's current state, it costs a lot to get it up to standard, and people complain when they close it at weekends to repair it. The CC should help fund tube/train/bus improvements, but it will take time. It's chicken and egg, but the PT improvments can't be afforded without the CC. It's worse now, but it is better long term.

The CC figures don't make any sense to me.

The 'old' double deckers are all being refitted. They may look anchient, but Ken likes them (as do a lot of commuters). They're all going to get modern engines. A modern engined bus produces less emissions than 6 cars, so as long as there are about 7 people on the bus, it's producing less emissions. Combine that with the reduction in road space and buses only need a few people on them to be more environmentally friendly. The quicker buses go, the more efficient they are and the more people use them. It's marginal, but Taxis are more efficient that cars. The main reason is people have to use public transport before they catch them.

Putting in a City parking charge would encourage car use! People would have no reason not to make loads of short trips. Bad idea.

Since the fiftees, people and the government have thought that cars were the solution. They took all the money away from public transport and piled it into roads. Fuel tax may be high, but it's still cheaper to run a car now that it has ever been. What's the result? Choked cities and gridlocked motorways. What do we do? Build roads for another 40 years to see if we can spend our way out of it?

Contrast us with Europe. After WW2, they were in recession. People couldn't afford cars and their governments couldn't afford thousands of road projects. They kept spending money on public transport. The result is a PT system that is many times better than ours because they've kept it up to date. They have far fewer congestion problems. We need to get to the same state as Europe, but it's going to cost money due to all the neglect our PT system has suffered.

<devils_advocate setting="off">

Got to do some work now...

Soldato
It will be illegal to drive without the numberplate transponder. It will be very easy to detect too as your car won't be giving off the required signature.

What difference does it make to track days?

Roadside poles will detect vehicles passing by them. They will not be placed anywhere where they can get confused as the transponder range is only a few metres.

There are several databases that contain road speeds already, otherwise how would route planners know how fast you can go?

Here's how it works. You pass a roadside detector and it records the time you were there and relays it back to a central database. A few miles down the same road, you pass another one, which again sends off your details. At the central database, the ID's and times are compared. If an ID was found to get to one place too quickly, then your ID is looked up for the address of the vehicle owner and a fine gets sent.

The benefit will be a reduction in vehicles without road tax, insurance, MOT, etc. This will reduce accidents, vehicle theft, etc, so it should make motoring cheaper.

I don't see how a speed trap like that would detect if I've got no insurance, road tax or MOT, or if the car's been stolen. Sorry, At the end of the day it's simply yet another speed trap.

Back
Top Bottom