Squealing motherboard or PSU

Associate
I have just moved over the components from the rig in sig to a DFI LT X38 T2R, and overclocked it to 3.85ghz same as with the old Gigabyte P35 DQ6. I am experiencing a high pitched sqealing sound from one of the components. Its either the motherboard or the psu but very hard to tell. Here is the weird thing, the sound goes away if the rig is under load, but when ideling a continueous whining/squealing sound can be heard. I thought it could be one of the fans, so disconnected them (all fans, case, cpu, northbridge, gfx) but it is still present.

Any ideas ? the overclock on the motherboards was at same speed, similar volts etc..

Soldato
try powering up the psu using a paperclip or something similar when it is connected to only a fan and see if it still makes that noise, this may eliminate the psu

Soldato
Sounds something similar to the capacitors on the 8800 series when rendering very high framerates. If it disappears under load, I'd be more inclined to believe it could be the PSU but you never know. Only way would be to test it separately like jak suggests.

Back
Top Bottom