Sri Lanka massacres

Caporegime
So you don’t think this is an Islamic attack?

Considering that Muslims represent <10% of the Sri Lankan population, and Buddhist Sri Lankans have been responsible for more violence than anyone else—particularly against Christians—it's unlikely (albeit possible) to be Islamic.

Last year, there were 86 verified incidents of discrimination, threats and violence against Christians, according to the National Christian Evangelical Alliance of Sri Lanka (NCEASL), which represents more than 200 churches and other Christian organizations.

This year, the NCEASL recorded 26 such incidents, including one in which Buddhist monks allegedly attempted to disrupt a Sunday worship service, with the last one reported on March 25.

...In its 2018 report on Sri Lanka’s human rights, the U.S. State Department noted that some Christian groups and churches reported they had been pressured to end worship meetings after authorities classified them as “unauthorized gatherings”.

(Source).

Caporegime
If they are hating or unduly cynical (as opposed to demonstrating simple and kind behaviour that actually makes the world better) then they are going about it in the wrong way, yes.
That's a bit naive to say the least.

Question - what happens if one side is committed to using violence to purge the other from the face of the Earth? If the other side says, "We'll fight back with love and kindness?"

I guess the UK should disband its military and defend itself with roving gangs of flower children.

Soldato
Are you blind to the fact that Islamists are responsible for deaths on a daily if not weekly basis somewhere around the globe?

I know you're a Muslim so that probably explains your bias.

Islamists can do no wrong according to the politically correct brigade here in the U.K. Must be those pesky atheists again! :rolleyes:

Soldato
Regarding the whole Buddhists are "the problem" thing,people seem to ALSO ignore the LTTE who were a Tamil ethno-Nationalist organisation did 168 suicide attacks and actually even ethnically cleansed parts of the northern part of the country.

The problem in the country was the lack of economic development outside the cities post independence which lead to a lot of poor people,wanting someone to blame,and politicians who were more concerned with votes. About par for the course in that neck of the woods.

Also some of you cannot apparently read past the first page:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32666536/

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/s...warned-of-suicide-attack-threat-before-blasts

COLOMBO (AFP) - Sri Lanka's police chief made a nationwide alert 10 days before Sunday's (April 21) bomb attacks in the country that suicide bombers planned to hit "prominent churches", according to the warning seen by AFP.

Police chief Pujuth Jayasundara sent an intelligence warning to top officers on April 11 setting out the threat.

"A foreign intelligence agency has reported that the NTJ (National Thowheeth Jama'ath) is planning to carry out suicide attacks targeting prominent churches as well as the Indian high commission in Colombo," said the alert.

The NTJ is a radical Muslim group in Sri Lanka that came to notice last year when it was linked to the vandalisation of Buddhist statues.

At least 156 people were killed in six bomb attacks on Sunday that included three churches.

Last edited:
Soldato
Must be those pesky atheists again! :rolleyes:

Even when its been widely reported that there was a chance of an attack by an Islamist group by the head of the Sri Lankan police,its all the others fault.

Two of the attacks were suicide bombings:
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...ice-eighth-blast-suicide-bomb-killed-11465108

COLOMBO: Suicide bombers were involved in at least two of the deadly blasts that ripped through churches and hotels in Sri Lanka on Sunday (Apr 21) killing around 160 people, according to police and hotel officials.

The eighth blast, in a house in a northern suburb of the capital Colombo, was caused by a suicide bomber who detonated his explosives when police entered the residence to search it, a police source told AFP.

The explosion brought down the upper level of the house and killed three police officers, the source said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The blast was the latest in a string targeting mostly hotels and churches that have killed around 160 people in a day.

A hotel official at the Cinnamon Grand hotel, one of three hotels in the capital that were hit by explosions, said a suicide bomber blew himself up at people at the facility's restaurant.

"He came up to the top of the queue and set off the blast," he told AFP.

The nature of the other blasts has not yet been confirmed, and there was no immediate claim of responsibility for the deadly attacks, the worst act of violence in Sri Lanka since the end of the country's civil war a decade ago.

Last time I checked Buddhists don't do things like that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Regarding the whole Buddhists are "the problem" thing,people seem to ignore the LTTE

Nobody's ignoring the LTTE, but they haven't existed for years, so they're not really relevant to this situation, are they?

Last time I checked Buddhists don't do suicide bombings.

Check again. Zen Buddhism was one of the strongest driving forces behind Japanese militarism throughout WWII, and the kamikaze attacks were inspired by Zen Buddhist ideology.

A number of post-war Buddhist leaders have since apologised for this.

Soldato
I have always hated religion for this reason, its the source of so many conflicts, but I understand why it exists as people will obviously be fearful of what happens when you die, and turning to religion is a solution to some people.

Horrible events, and life itself is a miracle, it just seems crazy to me why people end it. As has been pointed out if you consider the millions of sperm that fight for every egg and so forth, we all should be very grateful we are here today.

Caporegime
I have always hated religion for this reason, its the source of so many conflicts, but I understand why it exists as people will obviously be fearful of what happens when you die, and turning to religion is a solution to some people.

Some religions teach that nothing happens after you die. There are versions of Christianity in which dead people don't go to heaven or hell, they just decompose in the ground like everything else.

Soldato

Horrible events, and life itself is a miracle, it just seems crazy to me why people end it. As has been pointed out if you consider the millions of sperm that fight for every egg and so forth, we all should be very grateful we are here today.

Religion is just a hardcore cope for fear of the unknown.

I'm over here all edgy like, I don't care what happens when I die #yolo. (Like the cool kids say)

Soldato
Some really disgusting comments in this thread, as usual. So many dead and so many wounded and all you losers care about is the religion of the ones responsible.

Man of Honour
That's a bit naive to say the least.

Question - what happens if one side is committed to using violence to purge the other from the face of the Earth? If the other side says, "We'll fight back with love and kindness?"

I guess the UK should disband its military and defend itself with roving gangs of flower children.
I didn’t say that you shouldn’t ‘fight’ those that seek to oppress you. I was merely inferring that all we can do, in the grand scheme of everyday civilian life, is to try and be a little kinder to others to help balance out the rubbish that others do.

Caporegime
Some really disgusting comments in this thread, as usual. So many dead and so many wounded and all you losers care about is the religion of the ones responsible.
Denying that there is any link will just lead to more dead and wounded in the long run.

If you want the situation to improve the first thing is to face facts.

Islam is responsible for many thousands of deaths every year.

In Africa they are purging all other religions, destroying churches and killing non-muslims by the bucket-load.

The killing and the religion are intrinsically linked I'm afraid.

I didn’t say that you shouldn’t ‘fight’ those that seek to oppress you. I was merely inferring that all we can do, in the grand scheme of everyday civilian life, is to try and be a little kinder to others to help balance out the rubbish that others do.
Fair enough.

Back
Top Bottom