SSD - few upgrade questions

Associate
Hi all,

Been out the loop on all the new SSD tech. At the moment I have an Asus P8Z68V-Pro motherboard and WD Caviar Blue 500gb hard drive and looking for an upgrade to a 500gb SSD for around the £100ish mark.

Alternatively, will M2 with a PCIe adapter work with my motherboard? Will it give any real world difference over a SATA SSD?

I also noticed my motherboard has this feature; 'Marvell® PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller'. Would this allow for an M2 SSD without a PCIe adapter?

Finally, I'm planning on keeping the HDD as a backup/storage drive (although I will probably put everything onto the new SSD to start with - only 250gb currently). Will I have any issues if I reformat the HDD, install windows onto the new SSD and then start a-fresh? Or is it a better idea to copy everything to the new SSD and go from there? Will I have any issues running the 2 hard drives together?

Thanks in advance

Don
Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb is around the £120 mark.

Or this for £100
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sand...5-sata-6gbps-solid-state-drive-hd-028-sd.html

When installing Windows, disconnect your existing hard drive, connect up the new SSD and away you go. This prevents boot files being mixed up between the drives

Once Windows is up and running, you can connect up your other drive to copy the data from it, then format the old drive and use it as a backup.

I personally wouldn't bother looking into m.2 for your board (my machine is similar spec to yours)

Back
Top Bottom