SSD Freezing for a few seconds. 100% usage.

Associate
Hi there,

Struggling to find out what the issue is but, I own a Samsung 850 EVO 250gb SSD, and recently, sometimes it will go up to 100% usage in Task Manager, freeze the PC, then after about 5 seconds or so, go back to normal and 0% usage.

This happens in games or just randomly on desktop, it appears to be random.

I can't see what is causing this in processes etc as by the time it unfreezes and I am able to click on the processes tab, it is no longer using 100% of the disk.

Is there any way of being able to check is causing this?

I've swapped over SATA cables and ports, no effect. I've also updated the firmware.

Cheers,

Associate
Strangely I had almost the exact same issue yesterday and I could not understand it. My drive is a samsung NVMe m.2 drive though. I updated all my motherboard drivers and after that all my issues appear to be gone.

Soldato
Shadowplay running to your OS drive? Or another capture service?

Just a guess, that used to freeze mine if the temp file location was on the OS drive. Ended up moving it to a RAM disk. If you have it on then make sure it's not set to capture desktop unless you need it, try moving the temp file location to another drive also.

Associate
OP
No, I use an AMD gpu and don't use any recording software.

I've noticed Samsung Magician states AHCI isn't on, anyone have any experience with this?

Associate
OP
I've swapped it over to AHCI from IDE, and I've not had any freezes yet (although I would probably only get 1 every day or two anyways)

Just posting this in case anyone comes across this. :)

Soldato
When my 840 did this I believe it was on the way out, it did much more often than once ever day or two, though. Warranty upgraded me to an 850 though! :p

Associate
Hi there,

Struggling to find out what the issue is but, I own a Samsung 850 EVO 250gb SSD, and recently, sometimes it will go up to 100% usage in Task Manager, freeze the PC, then after about 5 seconds or so, go back to normal and 0% usage.

This happens in games or just randomly on desktop, it appears to be random.

I can't see what is causing this in processes etc as by the time it unfreezes and I am able to click on the processes tab, it is no longer using 100% of the disk.

Is there any way of being able to check is causing this?

I've swapped over SATA cables and ports, no effect. I've also updated the firmware.

Cheers,

Has your PC recently updated to the new Windows 10? I did so over the weekend and noticed that I am hanging a lot with something called Windows Telemetry running my HDD at 100‰ at times in task manager. You can also get deeper insight using Resource manager. A search shows it to be reading everything on your hard drive I suppose to file index and the like. Just shut it down or put on low priority.

Back
Top Bottom