SSD: Sabrent 1TB? Any better?

Associate
Hi guys,

Can anyone suggest anything any better than this? It is currently on a deal on *** elsewhere *** at £82. My friend purchased one, says it is amazing but I am not fond of purchasing a product from a brand I have never heard before.

Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD High Performance Solid State Drive R/W 3200/2000MB/s (SB-RKTQ-1TB)

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Sabrent make some fantastic drives, but I'd avoid the Q as it uses QLC flash.

The standard drive or the gen 4 are what you should be looking at.

I'd also recommend removing the mention of the competitor website, it's frowned upon due to this forum being ran by the OCUK store.

Associate
I hadn't heard much about them until relatively recently either, but they are a good make and they also have a 5 year warranty on their drives (if you register etc).

As @Gray2233 says, aim for the non-Q if y ou can but otherwise there's no reason not to pick up a good deal.

Associate
I have the Gen4 (Pcie 4.0) 1TB Sabrent (Copper and black) and can’t fault it.
Very fast and a nice capacity too.

like someone said above, register it for a 5 year warranty.

Associate
I also have the Gen 4 1TB Sabrent drive in a new build and very happy.

Sabrent are known for bringing innovative good value, high performance and high capacity drives to market very quickly. They've been round a few years now and have developed a very good reputation for themselves.

Corsair have a nice line of nvme drives which tend to be quite good value.

Samsung still have a great reputation but you'll pay a premium for them.

I have SSDs from all of the above and I really think Sabrent hit the sweetspot at the moment

Associate
Just picked one up the other day (A PCI 4 one). I am using a PCI 3 riser cable currently for the Graphics and looking at the Nvidia 3070. If I switch the BIOS to PCI 3 does the drive still run PCI 4 speed? Or are they completely separate?

Man of Honour
Just picked one up the other day (A PCI 4 one). I am using a PCI 3 riser cable currently for the Graphics and looking at the Nvidia 3070. If I switch the BIOS to PCI 3 does the drive still run PCI 4 speed? Or are they completely separate?
Why would you want to switch the bios to pcie3 it makes no sense, just let the motherboard handle it.

Associate
Why would you want to switch the bios to pcie3 it makes no sense, just let the motherboard handle it.

There was a video where somebody tried a 3080 with a PCI 3 riser cable and it didn't boot. I don't think PCI 4 riser cables are that common yet and very expensive.

They changed the BIOS to PCI 3 and it then worked.

Soldato
There was a video where somebody tried a 3080 with a PCI 3 riser cable and it didn't boot. I don't think PCI 4 riser cables are that common yet and very expensive.

They changed the BIOS to PCI 3 and it then worked.
PCIe v4 has very strict signal quality requirements seriously limiting trace lengths without signal "amplifiers"/retimers.
Again automatic bus speed is chosen depending on what's the best both "host" and "client" devices support.
But neither end can know about that riser cable, which broke signal integrity at PCIe v4 speed.

Manual BIOS setting simply forces PCIe bus controller to declare itself as PCIe v3 device.

Associate
Hi guys,

Can anyone suggest anything any better than this? It is currently on a deal on *** elsewhere *** at £82. My friend purchased one, says it is amazing but I am not fond of purchasing a product from a brand I have never heard before.

Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD High Performance Solid State Drive R/W 3200/2000MB/s (SB-RKTQ-1TB)

Well of course there are 'better' drives, but I would assume that your question more refers to the price/performance ratio rather than the subjective. They aren't exactly an unknown now so shouldn't be an issue buying the brand, you've just got to weigh up the other considerations. QLC or not, is it worth saving a few quid (often quite a few quid) vs the very best, usage case scenario, etc, etc. But those questions apply across the board to be fair. I'd say it's a sound choice at the price point and I wouldn't be bothered by the relatively new brand aspect. Lots of people are buying them and there aren't many stories of that being a bad decision so on a price/performance metric I'd be happy to buy one.

Back
Top Bottom