US: Star Trek: Discovery

Soldato
You said there were episodes that dealt specifically with Borg origin and told me to Google it an read the wiki article that says the Borg origin isnt clear :shrug:

Start trek has given us nothing concrete on the borg origin so far so it's perfectly plausible that the Borg didn't originate in the delta quadrant. They could easily have arrived there centuries before TNG.

Who's to say the Borg were born in the past when we already know they can time travel? Command could easily be pelted back in time with a new game plan - if you can't beat them, assimilate them instead :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, what a waste of an episode. Can't think of one single moment that stands out. just needlessly dragging out all the emotional stuff.

Soldato
Just watched the finale. I thought it was fantastic to be fair. Ties up pretty much everything, brilliant battle scenes, great acting and a great end to the story. People may hate me but I really liked the nu-retro enterprise. I would love to see a Pike series but don't think that's on the books.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Just watched the finale. I thought it was fantastic to be fair. Ties up pretty much everything

Really?

"Yeah, so, you see, it fits into Trek canon because they don't talk about it after this. Any of it. The ship, the crew, the spore drive, the sphere data, Control, Spock's adopted sister. Oh, and that Enterprise? Even though it's a different scale and the bridge is totally different, that's still the same ship as the one in TOS. Because reasons. Also, the Klingon cleave ship which will never be seen again even though it would have been useful many, many times totally fits into canon. Because reasons."

:rolleyes:

Firing the USS DiscoBall off into the future and handwaving it by saying 'oh, we'll make it a law that no-one talks about it' was a cop-out. Worse, it was a cop-out that made precious little sense.

I posted this in the other STD thread:

me said:
So, what did the Star Trek universe get out of the 29 episodes of STD so far? Did anything have any lasting consequence? The DiscoBall and spore drive are gone. So are the sphere data. A bunch of people have disappeared but aren't going to be talked about ever again. The Klingon war made it almost to Earth, before stopping and there seemingly being few repercussions or lasting effects from it.

So, with the greatest possible respect to all involved, WHAT WAS IT ALL EVEN FOR?!?!?!

And the more I think about it the more I'm irritated (read: absolutely enraged :D) about this. What d'you suppose was the plan to get STD to sync up with canon before they wrote this sprawling mess of fairly epic VFX set pieces linked with clunky dialogue? Was there ever a plan to do so? Were they always going to shoot the DiscoBall into the future?

Because if so, if going to the 33rd century was always the plan...WHY NOT ****ING WELL START THERE?

Soldato
The best thing about discovery is that it might pave the way for a pike series

Hell, they've even said it themselves "speak of it and it's treason" maybe we should listen to them!

Caporegime
Wow WTF was with that ending? It just seemed like an absolutely outrageously gratuitous and unrealistic and exaggerated display of sci-fi technology.

The level of tech on display with the thousands of fighter drones and the suit and so many other things was seemingly centuries in the future of what it was supposed to be. The amount of sustained fire the Enterprise and Discovery also took just seemed ridiculous based on any other series of ST we have ever seen.

The alien queen portrayed as some Avrik Lavigne-esque teenybop character was also absolutely nauseating and unnecessary.

You said there were episodes that dealt specifically with Borg origin and told me to Google it an read the wiki article that says the Borg origin isnt clear :shrug:

Start trek has given us nothing concrete on the borg origin so far so it's perfectly plausible that the Borg didn't originate in the delta quadrant. They could easily have arrived there centuries before TNG.

Who's to say the Borg were born in the past when we already know they can time travel? Command could easily be pelted back in time with a new game plan - if you can't beat them, assimilate them instead :p
As I and anyone with common sense figured... it wasn't a plausible Borg origins story. :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
According to a time line I read there's ten years between Discovery and TOS. Plenty of time for Pike and crew to have some adventures. And no Burnham too! Make it so CBS!

Caporegime
The amount of sustained fire the Enterprise and Discovery also took just seemed ridiculous based on any other series of ST we have ever seen.

:p

Shield down to 11% captain, 10%, 9%, shields gone. Tilly and some ladder mechanics - shields back up to 40% captain. You what!!? :p

Soldato
As I and anyone with common sense figured... it wasn't a plausible Borg origins story. :p

So it's not plausible now? There a big difference between being plausible and being true. You've had plenty of people tell you it was a plausible Borg origin (which afterall is why so many people made that connection) and for the record it still is. We only have Starfleet's word that control was eradicated. Was it? all of it, and not just Leland? Remember what happened when the Borg drones were found on earth frozen in the Artic Circle in Enterprise? The drones that crashed that there when the Enterprise E went back in time and blew up a Borg sphere in Earths Orbit (First Contact)? They thawed out, regenerated, assimilated the scientists who discovered them and stole a starship before the Enterprise (the original, Nx-01) luckily destroyed the ship. Point is, if any one piece of that self-replicating Control technology is found.... you can work it out - it was and still is plausible. I cant believe you would try to suggest common sense says it's not plausible - this is science fiction we are talking about.

Anyway, where's that list of episodes which specifically deal with Borg origin you mentioned? i read the wiki article (you know, the one that said the Borg origin isn't clear) but i couldn't find the list. Do you have it?

Last edited:
Associate
Did anyone watch the Star trek - Short Treks?

I didn't know about it until a clip was on the Youtubes suggested videos. A episode called Calypso basically tells what happens after Discovery goes forward in time.

And I've just found them on Netflix, they kept them quite, lol. Off to watch them.

J.

Soldato
calypso is interesting. Obviously it was released before season 2; Nora said it had been alone for 1000 years, so places like Memory-Alpha had the time period down as the 33rd century. However the Discovery has now travelled 950 years in to the future, suggesting either they make it back to the correct time period at some point and abandon the Discovery soon after, or Calypso is actually set in some other time period entirely. it could be 1,000 years further in to the future in the 43rd century for example.

Caporegime
Shield down to 11% captain, 10%, 9%, shields gone. Tilly and some ladder mechanics - shields back up to 40% captain. You what!!? :p

Next time I will file a recommendation with Starfleet that they instead use Tilly as a shield by attaching her to the outer hull. :D

So it's not plausible now? There a big difference between being plausible and being true. You've had plenty of people tell you it was a plausible Borg origin (which afterall is why so many people made that connection) and for the record it still is. We only have Starfleet's word that control was eradicated. Was it? all of it, and not just Leland? Remember what happened when the Borg drones were found on earth frozen in the Artic Circle in Enterprise? The drones that crashed that there when the Enterprise E went back in time and blew up a Borg sphere in Earths Orbit (First Contact)? They thawed out, regenerated, assimilated the scientists who discovered them and stole a starship before the Enterprise (the original, Nx-01) luckily destroyed the ship. Point is, if any one piece of that self-replicating Control technology is found.... you can work it out - it was and still is plausible. I cant believe you would try to suggest common sense says it's not plausible - this is science fiction we are talking about.

Anyway, where's that list of episodes which specifically deal with Borg origin you mentioned? i read the wiki article (you know, the one that said the Borg origin isn't clear) but i couldn't find the list. Do you have it?
Sometimes jimill, you just need to hold your hands up and admit when an opinion/theory falls short. This is one of those occasions. :p

Soldato
Sometimes jimill, you just need to hold your hands up and admit when an opinion/theory falls short. This is one of those occasions. :p

I don't think you know what plausible means. Yes, i'm serious.

As for holding hands up i dont really have any accountability here. I didnt say it was the borg origin, I said it was a plausible origin.. and it was..but it turned out to be false. So umm..ok? If you are actually trying to ask me to admit i'm wrong, well, again you dont know what plausible means. If you did, you wouldn't be trying to infer i was wrong about it. But hey, if it's accountability you want then perhaps you could start with yourself :D

Last edited:
Soldato
The rumor is that Alex Kurtzman has finally been fired

It might be to late at this stage to save the show, I gave up on season 2 about half way through and from the clips I've seen on Youtube some of the battle scenes look dreadful.

Caporegime
I thought Season 2 was way better than season 1?

And that sounds like a hack job with the presenter having a major beef with Kurtzman and Star trek in general.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom