US: Star Trek: Lower Decks (the new animated series)

Soldato
Just binged watched all the episodes - actually quite enjoyed it.

Mariner - really good character, but i wish she would slow down her speech, made it feel like any other kids show. Got better as the series went on though.

Tendi - as above and annoying, didn't get better, but definitely good character penitential

Cat doctor - wtf? Wasted character as didn't really do much, maybe see more of her in S2.

Ransom - great character.

Lots of easter eggs throughout and loved the final episode.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've really tried to get into this, but watching the first two episodes was a very painful experience.

It's just awful. It's slow in places then too fast in others, and I generally go through the episode wondering what on earths going on. It might be better after a line of speed and a vodka chaser?

I got two minutes into episiode three and had to turn it off.

Security guards don't snap violins in the 24th century lol It seems as though it's made for kids, but kids won't tear themselves away from youtube, roblox or fornite for this tripe.

Do I struggle on or give up?

Soldato
FYI those calling it a kids show.

WRONG. That is still to come and is airing on Nickelodeon.

This is definitely aimed at adults with the humour and violence, nudity etc.

I personally enjoyed it 100% more than Picard and Discovery. It was decent TNG era Trek. Set in the right time with proper Trek looking ships, aesthetics etc. The showrunner obviously knows and cares about Trek and its many years of canon.

Soldato
It's Star Trek, it would be strange if there wasn't loads of references? :confused:
Where's the *groan* button?

OK, i'll bite Captain Pedantic - Lower Decks is known for references throughout the whole Trek Universe. From bringing in other series characters to subtle references smattered throughout - and this episode was full of them.

I can't bring myself to watch this. After all the poor reviews it got and I tried the first episode and found it so annoying, I had to switch it off. Maybe it has improved but I have no plans to find out, given how poor the series of Discovery were and how that most episodes of Strange new worlds were also rubbish. The less said about Picard the better.

Soldato
I can't bring myself to watch this. After all the poor reviews it got and I tried the first episode and found it so annoying, I had to switch it off. Maybe it has improved but I have no plans to find out, given how poor the series of Discovery were and how that most episodes of Strange new worlds were also rubbish. The less said about Picard the better.
Most episodes of SNW were fantastic. It was certainly not rubbish.

But this series is brilliant and certainly found its feet.

Soldato
Loved Strange New Worlds!

I was initially hesitant to Lower Decks, I thought it was a kiddie version of Trek - it isn't. Deffo recommend it :)

Associate
i've really like season 1-2 , but wasn't that impressed with the opening of season 3, or more to the point i'm forming a strong dislike to Mariner, she need kicked out of starfleet, cut off from her mother and father and forced to live in a hard cold universe with no help from anyone

Soldato
i've really like season 1-2 , but wasn't that impressed with the opening of season 3, or more to the point i'm forming a strong dislike to Mariner, she need kicked out of starfleet, cut off from her mother and father and forced to live in a hard cold universe with no help from anyone

Did you watch the end of the episode? They have addressed exactly that issue!

Her Mom and Dad have acknowledged that they are always bailing her out and have handed over her fate to non-family, if she fails she has to leave Starfleet (ofc she won't :))

Associate
yea did watch to the end, but does anyone really believe that if ransom was to kick her out ma and da won't come to her aid again, given what the covered up for her so far

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
I was very against this show. Still am to a degree, because Mariner irritates me beyond belief. But their reverence for, and willingness to play to, Trek canon is great.

Back
Top Bottom