Star Trek question!

daz

daz

Soldato
The Defiant's cloaking device was donated by the Romulans, and is only allowed to be used to cloak in the Gamma quadrant.

Associate
Yeah they signed a treaty saying they wouldnt use it

Although the romuleans let it slide with the Defiant, since there was the threat of the Dominion.

What are you on about, "they think its cowardly?" any idiot would use a cloaking device given the option to.

Thats why on that episode of TNG, it explained about how Rikers previous ship was experimenting with some phase cloaking device which means it was invisible and could travel through matter... they did this without the rom's knowledge and ended up getting stuck in a rock or something.

Associate
In the last episode of TNG All good things I think it was called, didn't the enterprise from the future have a cloaking device and 3 warp engines if my memory serves me right.

Associate
SiD the Turtle said:
Not originally :p

Ok, just thinking aloud here, but before the parting of the ways so to speak when they were all brothers and before some chose to embrace their emotions and the others to quash them, surely they were one race known by just one name?

The Vulcan and Romulan names must have come about after this point to mark the two different paths taken?

Soldato
Tonks said:
Ok, just thinking aloud here, but before the parting of the ways so to speak when they were all brothers and before some chose to embrace their emotions and the others to quash them, surely they were one race known by just one name?

The Vulcan and Romulan names must have come about after this point to mark the two different paths taken?

I'm not sure that it was ever explicitly mentioned in an episdoe, but I'd assume that Vulcans were Vulcans and the Romulans were the name of the 'clan' or whatever that became the offshoot.

Soldato
It was one of the accords of the aforementioned treaty of Algeron, no cloaking technology would be allowed to the Federation, which is why the cloaking device aboard the USS Defiant origianlly had a Romulan observer on-board and was only allowed to be operated in the Gamma Quadrant.

The Federation illegally experimented with phasing cloaks on the USS Pegasus, but almost all the crew were killed in an accident after several of the crew mutinied, Riker was one of the lieutenants on the Pegasus.

Soldato
johnny6 said:
In the last episode of TNG All good things I think it was called, didn't the enterprise from the future have a cloaking device and 3 warp engines if my memory serves me right.
Yes but it also went at "warp 13", so it's not really widely accepted as cannon. 3 nacelles is also meant to be impossible.

Permabanned
The Gamma quadrant, where's that?

Alpha quadrant - our solar system?

Beta quadrant - borg space?

Delta quadrant - otherside of the galaxy, uncharted but visited by Voyager.

Gamma quadrant - seven of nine's underwear?

Soldato
Tonks said:
The Federation just doesn't have to technology to build a cloaking device. There was one episode in STNG when they had problems with people dying using an experimental cloaking device when they somehow materialised in an asteroid iirc...

The difference between a Romulan and a Vulcan is that they come from different planets silly :D

im not a die hard trekie btw so I could be very wrong :)

Nope!... That 'Experimental' cloaking Device was a 'Phase Shifting' Cloaking Device!, It basically shifted what ever ship/object that was cloaked (and its contence) out of phase (the frequency that all things vibrate) with its surroundings and thus allowing it to pass through any object in its path!... It failed and the ship de-cloaked inside an asteroid!... encasing the ship and crew inside the rock!... there were some chambers but most of the crew got melded into the solid rock walls!...

Now whos a Geek! :p (puts hand up!)

And as has been said a few times!, the Frderation/Klingons/Romulans all signed the Treaty of Algeron, all giving up something they wanted/needed!... The Federation gave up the posibility of developing their own cloaking devices!... Dunno what the Klingons/Romulans gave up!...

But the Federation is alloud to use cloaking devices!, as long as either a Romulan or Klingon (who ever owns said cloaking device) is actually controlling it!... This is why when you see the Defiant (the only ship in Starfleet to officially have a cloak) using its cloaking device there's a Pointy ear'd bloke sat at the back of the bridge controlling it!.. :cool:

Soldato
iCraig said:
The Gamma quadrant, where's that?

Alpha quadrant - our solar system?

Beta quadrant - borg space?

Delta quadrant - otherside of the galaxy, uncharted but visited by Voyager.

Gamma quadrant - seven of nine's underwear?

Wrong! :p

Earth straddles A and B. Klingons etc are in B (if I remember correctly), G is Dominion, D is various races including the Borg.

Associate
I always remembered that episode purely on the fact the enterprise travelled vertically compared to everything else if you get what I mean. I always wondered why in space, ships never meet up with one another upside down and what not.

Soldato
Simian said:
Yep!... I've got a poster!... I'll try and get a photo of it!.. :)

Problem is year to year the powers that B release some new piece of literature which contradicts the last when it comes to where stuff is, as do the programmes. For example the pilot of Enterprise where it seems they strolled over the Kronos in an afternoons whereas its been established its quite far away,

Permabanned
johnny6 said:
I always remembered that episode purely on the fact the enterprise travelled vertically compared to everything else if you get what I mean. I always wondered why in space, ships never meet up with one another upside down and what not.

They do. "Coming about" means bringing the ship into the face of another, so they're on the same axis and trajectory or whatever.

Permabanned
eXSBass said:
WTF I asked a simple Star Trek question and now it's turned into a geek fest! :p

WTF IS A SEVEN OF NINE? :p

A borg designation. In the hive mind drones are given desingations within their adjuct. Typically an adjuct has between 8-20 drones.

Seven of Nine was the 7th drone out of 9 in tertiary adjuct of uni-matrix 01.

When she was severed from the Borg, she kept her borg designation as her name.

Back
Top Bottom