Star Trek question!

Soldato
Johanson said:
I seem to remember an episode of Voyager where they went into a big dangerous-looking cloud of pure danger, as there were valuable supplies inside it. I think they were looking for coffee :confused: LOL pure nutters tbh

It is obvious the writers don't consider "up" to be important in space :p

The only episode of Star Trek: Never Ending Coma i remember is the one where they went back in time to the captain Kirk ship, and there were all these furry balls everywhere lol that was actually a good episode :D

TRIBBLES! :D

DS9 gets very good the last 3 seasons. Worth watching if you are a trek fan.

SiriusB

Soldato
SiD the Turtle said:
Trials and Tribbleations. The furry balls were Tribbles, and some loon Klingon Spy called Arne Darvin planted a bomb in one :D

Yes! Fantastic episode, very well put together. LOL its hilarious when they are searching through the tribbles to find the bomb, they just throw em about :D and Kirk opens a hatch and they all come tumbling down :p

I might have to downl.. *ahem* buy the last few series of DS9, i want to see what this huge war is about!

Soldato
SiriusB said:
It is obvious the writers don't consider "up" to be important in space :p
No no that's not the reason. In the star trek universe it turns out Einstein was wrong. Space doesn't have 4 dimensions, it actually only has 2.

But I always expected 'Al' from Quantum Leap to turn up!...
I think he did in one episode. Maybe enterprise was actually just a very long episode of quantum leap...

Associate
iCraig said:
The Gamma quadrant, where's that?

Alpha quadrant - our solar system?

Beta quadrant - borg space?

Delta quadrant - otherside of the galaxy, uncharted but visited by Voyager.

Gamma quadrant - seven of nine's underwear?

Alpha Quadrant - Where Earth is.

Beta - Klingon Empire borders I think.

Gamma - Dominion / Founders

Delta - Borg

Soldato
Johanson said:
Btw whats the deal with the Klingons completely changing appearance?? In that Tribbles episode, they ask Worf about it and he gets agitated and refuses to talk about it!

In the DS9 days it was simply 'er ignore as we don't have a reason' (the real reason being the makeup changed when the Motion Picture's budget allowed them to make more funky Klingons than the TV series of the day could afford).

Apparently in the Enterprise days it was something obscure and unoriginal about genetically enginered super soldiers. But you'd have to ask someone else/Google about that as I gave up after the second season and sat in a corner to cry :(

Soldato
7 of 9

180px-JeriRyan-as-Seven.JPG

She could assimilate me any day.

Soldato
Moredhel said:
Yes but it also went at "warp 13", so it's not really widely accepted as cannon. 3 nacelles is also meant to be impossible.

I thought it went at "Trans-Warp 13" or was it "Side warp 13" though, not "Warp 13"?

SiD the Turtle said:
In the DS9 days it was simply 'er ignore as we don't have a reason' (the real reason being the makeup changed when the Motion Picture's budget allowed them to make more funky Klingons than the TV series of the day could afford).

Apparently in the Enterprise days it was something obscure and unoriginal about genetically enginered super soldiers. But you'd have to ask someone else/Google about that as I gave up after the second season and sat in a corner to cry :(

From the Star Trek wiki entry:

The cause revealed

In February 2005 a two-part storyline on Star Trek: Enterprise, "Affliction" and "Divergence", explained canonically why the Klingons changed their appearance.

In an earlier series of episodes, the Augments, humans grown from genetically engineered embryos from the Eugenics Wars of the late 20th century, were defeated by Captain Jonathan Archer and the Enterprise NX-01 in Klingon space. The Klingon High Council feared that Starfleet was developing armies of Augments and that they would pose a serious threat to the Empire's existence. Even when they were told by the Vulcan High Command that the Augments were created without Starfleet's knowledge or consent, they remained suspicious and so decided to fight fire with fire. The Klingons gained access to the genetic material of the human Augments, and wanted to adapt this genetic engineering to augment their own species. The experiment did not work correctly; at first, subjects did gain increased strength and intelligence, but their nervous systems could not handle the strain and they died. One of the test subjects had a virulent flu, which — combined with the genetic changes wrought by the experiment — became a deadly, airborne plague that spread rampantly across the Empire, from world to world, causing the physical changes to change them into the human-looking Klingons of Kirk's day.

Dr. Phlox of the Enterprise NX-01 formulated a cure for the virus, however not before millions of Klingons were physically altered. And owing to the genetic nature of the virus, these alterations were passed to succeeding generations of offspring.

The Klingons were apparently so embarrassed by the fallout from this disaster, that they absolutely refused under any circumstances to discuss the incident with outsiders in later years. There is also evidence (illustrated by the ignorance of members of the Deep Space Nine crew who encounter humanlike Klingons during time travel into the past in Trials and Tribble-ations) that knowledge of the change might become lost over time to mankind. The Enterprise storyline also indicates that an early form of the Starfleet intelligence service Section 31 was somehow involved in the transformation of the Klingons.

Phlox indicated that "someday" the physical alterations could be reversed.

The episode "Divergence" revealed that not all Klingons were affected by the virus. No canon explanation has yet been offered to suggest why only the humanlike Klingons were seen in The Original Series, save for statements made in "Divergence" that the genetically altered version of the race would be stronger and more intelligent, suggesting they may have been desirable soldiers in later Klingon/Federation conflicts. The Klingons in Star Trek: The Motion Picture were the first Klingon crew that was shown to be dealing with something other than the Federation, so there is no evidence proving these particular Klingons had ever been afflicted. Other possible explanations include the idea that by the time the cure to the virus had been administered to all Klingons, every last one was infected by the virus so that they would have been changed somewhat by the virus anyway. This could also explain the "darker-skinned" Klingon observation stated above. The darker Klingons could have been descendants of Klingons that had only been in the initial stages of alteration when they were cured, so that they retained their more natural pigmentation. It is also possible that some Klingons used cosmetic surgery to restore their pre-alteration appearance.

However, the ridge-development cure must have been developed before 2293, the year of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. The Star Trek: Voyager episode "Flashback", which depicts events that took place in 2293, shows the Klingon Kang with ridges, though he had none in the original series episode "Day of the Dove."

It can be calculated, therefore, that the humanlike appearance of the Klingons lasted for at least 119 years, since these two episodes of Enterprise took place in 2154, and the reversal mentioned by Phlox could have happened before Star Trek: The Motion Picture which takes place in 2273, but had definitely happened by 2293.

In the Star Trek: Vanguard novel Summon the Thunder, the humanlike Klingons are called QuchHa', or the unhappy ones. They usually serve in their own units, although sometimes they are known to mix with the rest of the fleet personnel.

All attempts at retconning aside, the changes in Klingon appearance can best be explained by an inconsistent treatment of pre-existing material by the series' and movies' writers. Fans have followed several variations of both canon and non-canon sources to produce Klingons with varied fusions, mixtures and heritages. These are portrayed in fiction, fan-produced films, and in professional fiction, such as The Final Reflection and How Much for Just the Planet by John M. Ford and Kahless by Michael Jan Friedman.

Associate
Ok out of all the ST characters who would you like to be and why?

For me it's Wesley Crusher not because of what he was during his years with Star Fleet but for his abilities to transcended space and time revealed when the Traveler came into his life, imagine that being able to go where and when you liked what a wonderful future..........

Associate
Damn, missed this thread, Sid the Turtle is spot on, could have shown off with my trek knowledge! :( :eek: :D

Anyway, the 3 warp nacilles (SP?) in the final episode of TNG: the third is to reduce the "pollution" caused by high warp speeds in sub-space (one episode found alien life living in subspace in the "corridor", points for naming the episode! It was found that > warp 6 caused great damage, after that > warp 6 was only used in emergencies.) So the third allows high warp speeds without causing pollution.

Another Star Trek fact:
The warp scales are different on TOS and TNG. TOS is linear and TNG is logarithmic with the speed approaching infinity at warp 10.

Soldato
the speed approaching infinity at warp 10.

Approaching infinity??? [Worf Voice] Impossible (laughter) [/Worf Voice]

I remember an episode of Voyager where they manage to reach Warp 10 in that nippy little spacecraft they built. Then the 2 people in the spacecraft evolved and managed to land on a habitable planet and produce offspring. That particular episode seemed a bit far fetched.

Associate
what ****** me off is that warp 2 is 2 times the speed of light etc

I think they should make warp 2 0.2 x speed of light ... warp 9.9999, 0.99999 etc x speed of light

so when you some how manage to reach warp 10, it makes sense that they randomly evolve into lizards (it was tom paris and the captain in that ep)

Soldato
Johanson said:
Approaching infinity??? [Worf Voice] Impossible (laughter) [/Worf Voice]

I remember an episode of Voyager where they manage to reach Warp 10 in that nippy little spacecraft they built. Then the 2 people in the spacecraft evolved and managed to land on a habitable planet and produce offspring. That particular episode seemed a bit far fetched.

Paris and Janeway had babies... hehe :p

Associate
A bit of a lame ending to the series

SPOILER ALERT..............................................

After a bit of a battle with the Borg Queen they went through some portal that brought them back to earth... A victory swoop over Golden Gate bridge (?) and it was all over......

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Tonks said:
The Federation just doesn't have to technology to build a cloaking device. There was one episode in STNG when they had problems with people dying using an experimental cloaking device when they somehow materialised in an asteroid iirc...

The difference between a Romulan and a Vulcan is that they come from different planets silly :D

im not a die hard trekie btw so I could be very wrong :)

i'm sorry but no.

I hate star trek, but have to say something - the Feds can quite easily make a cloaking device, just the one they tried to make (in secret) was able to pass through matter as well as be cloaked. it was experimental (it worked since half the ship was stuck in an asteroid lol) but had its flaws, and since the crew mutinied (what are we doing, its sooo wrong etc) the ship was left to drift.

Back
Top Bottom