Star Trek Questions.

Permabanned
OP
burnsy2023 said:
I don't see why people think this is so unbelievable?

At the end of the day what are our brains? A complex collection of neurons to allow it to achieve a task.

Why is it inconcieveable that far, far in the future, they could create a similararly complex machine, which has a light interface? This idea has been around for ages, hence things like Terminator.
[/size]

A projection of light cannot fall in love.

It's like saying the projectors down at PC world have feelings.

I agree that the artifical intelligence it possesses can mimic the emotions and physical and social reactions of love, e.g. smile whenever it sees it's wife etc.

But it would be just lines of code ticking away, no raw emotion and conciousness that a human mind can possess.

I remember the episode where the doctor told Seven, or was it the weird eared girl? that he loved her, not in a fake way, but in a real way. Ludicrous! :p

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

You're failing to grasp the concept that the doc's program was running for many years... it developed bugs and flaws, and he programmed himself to become more human (he exceeded his programming).

Obviously, it's far fetched but after all.. it was meant to be a complex imitation of life and it suceeded to a certain extent (much in the same way data did in Nemesis)

Soldato
Personally I like the warp theory put forward by Eve Online whereby you create a pocket of spacelube or somthing and lube yourself faster than the speed of light thereby belting it through a system. :D

Set course for Isikano IV, Maximum KY!
ENGAGE!

sssshhhhhfffoosshhhh.

:D

Soldato
burnsy2023 said:
Hmm, how much do you reckon you'll get for them?

Burnsy

No idea. Car boot things can be very cheap. However my collection is mint (apart from a couple of them with cases with corners broken off, damn you Arcade Fire! :p). I may try a certain competitor where I could make more from the P&P. Though they'd take a while to shift.

Mic

Mic

Soldato
EVH said:
How long would you estimate it'd take to build a full size death star though? :eek:

(without Vader or Sideous on your back)
Hell if I know, even bloody Geogre lucas doesnt seem to know *stupid bloody flaws in the canon*

iCraig said:

The doctor is basically a robot. His brain may not be inside his physical body. But he is a robot.

And an advance enough computer controlled robot can have feelings. Ghost in the machine. Watch I,Robot. Good film with some excellent points (yes i know its all based on that Asimov dudes books)

Soldato
SiD the Turtle said:
No idea. Car boot things can be very cheap. However my collection is mint (apart from a couple of them with cases with corners broken off, damn you Arcade Fire! :p). I may try a certain competitor where I could make more from the P&P. Though they'd take a while to shift.
Good luck, they aren't easy to sell. It would be difficult to give them away.

Man of Honour
iCraig said:

I agree that the artifical intelligence it possesses can mimic the emotions and physical and social reactions of love, e.g. smile whenever it sees it's wife etc.

But it would be just lines of code ticking away, no raw emotion and conciousness that a human mind can possess.

I remember the episode where the doctor told Seven, or was it the weird eared girl? that he loved her, not in a fake way, but in a real way. Ludicrous! :p

At the end of the day we are all sophisticated biological machines. We have resposes to simuli which are gathered from previous experiences, just like a computer agent. It is completely possible that one day AI's may possess consciousness and maybe even love. That day is a good while off though.

And its the 'holomatrix' that loves not the 'holoemitters' so the light is just the avatar.;)

Burnsy

Suspended
Regarding the EMH, basically he's just a advanced computer programme. Most of the Voyager series revolved around whether he was self aware or just a fancy toaster. Kes believes he was alive, B'Elanna didn't. He starts off as a normal programme, and learns. Just like the T-800 in "write" mode. His physical form is irrelevent. His projection is apparently like the transporter/replicator, so he is there, sort of...general holes and ST doesn't explain everything. Bit like Red Dwarf "hard light"

If you nit pick everthing in the show you really aren't into it....as long as scenes aren't totally stupid.

Associate
dbmzk1 said:
[geek]

Drawn to scale this is how big the Second Death Star is.

comparisondeathstar3zx.jpg

[/geek]

You are way beyond ever being able to /geek - it is your destiny!

email in trust for a high res version of that please.

Back
Top Bottom