starship troopers

Associate
Cryfreeman said:
Ha thats kinda funny as I think mars attacks is real bad :D

But I can explain to people how to get Mars attacks, I mean just look at those 'Ray Guns' straight out of a 1950s boys comic and with quotes like "we come in peace" and "take me to your leader"
I just dont get Starship Troopers, aweful film.

Soldato
SC04 said:
But I can explain to people how to get Mars attacks, I mean just look at those 'Ray Guns' straight out of a 1950s boys comic and with quotes like "we come in peace" and "take me to your leader"
I just dont get Starship Troopers, aweful film.

In the same way that Starship troopers is what the american army dreams of being, Full of gung ho heroic youths willing to lay down their lives to stop the communists, I mean bugs ...

Read the book and it makes a whole lot more sense, its a cold war story really, The bugs are communists, the americans are showing them the power of democracy with plenty of bullets to put the point across.

Man of Honour
Loved the film. Still watch it on DVD from time to time.

Just seem to remember that when it was in the cinema it was a 15...on VHS/DVD - 18
Strangly Alien: Ressurection was out at around the same time and was 18 in the cinema and 15 on VHD/DVD :D

Although - Dina Meyer - Yes please. :D

Simon/~Flibster

Caporegime
Velocity219e said:
In the same way that Starship troopers is what the american army dreams of being, Full of gung ho heroic youths willing to lay down their lives to stop the communists, I mean bugs ...

Read the book and it makes a whole lot more sense, its a cold war story really, The bugs are communists, the americans are showing them the power of democracy with plenty of bullets to put the point across.

This relates to the film, but by Americans I'm guessing you mean South American, as the lead characters were from Buenos Aires ;). Not that I disagree with your point at all, and it portrays a pretty scary image of the whole world united as one democracy, if it even is that, seeing as you have to go through service to enter into politics.

Edit: Denise Richards over Dina Meyer

Soldato
Caged said:
This relates to the film, but by Americans I'm guessing you mean South American, as the lead characters were from Buenos Aires ;). Not that I disagree with your point at all, and it portrays a pretty scary image of the whole world united as one democracy, if it even is that, seeing as you have to go through service to enter into politics.

Edit: Denise Richards over Dina Meyer

No, I mean americans as in, George Bush, SUV's and white picket fences, why else would they be playing american football, any other civilised society would surely play rugby ;)

The point behind the film is very much socio-political, and incredibly well thought out, the entire film screams nazi to me, the marine uniforms, the 'psychics' all incredibly high ranking because might makes right, wearing their snappy SS style uniforms?

My usual problem is that this film is so complex and people slate it and say its just a violent movie.

I'll post more later but I'm probably late for work now ;)

Permabanned
old thread!

Anyway i rewatched the first on uk gold the other night, one of the best, if not the best sci fi action film imo that ive seen (enjoy it more than the alien films), the effects still are some of the best today, but then again it was a $100,000,000 film, only a few films have topped that. The action is over the top but its great to watch, very gory aswell lol.

Associate
Is there an hd-dvd/bd release of this out yet, because it really would be the movie to get me to think about getting an hd player.

It really is just a balls to the wall and fun action film. But points velocity puts out make me want to see it even more. :)

Soldato
Is there an hd-dvd/bd release of this out yet, because it really would be the movie to get me to think about getting an hd player.

It really is just a balls to the wall and fun action film. But points velocity puts out make me want to see it even more. :)

Its out on blu ray.

Soldato
Same bloke that did robocop did starship troopers.... and it is satire which is hard to miss frankly !

Anyhow im glad Casper missed the 2nd imagine staring in that film with 50 quid budget, anyhow with Starship troopers 3 being made and Caspers back as the main role good times ahead, shame they cant deltree the 2nd film ;)

Permabanned
Same bloke that did robocop did starship troopers.... and it is satire which is hard to miss frankly !

Anyhow im glad Casper missed the 2nd imagine staring in that film with 50 quid budget, anyhow with Starship troopers 3 being made and Caspers back as the main role good times ahead, shame they cant deltree the 2nd film ;)

problem is, its gonna be a straight to dvd film like the second, plus with only a 20 mil budget, wont do much with that.

Why not another 100 million budget like the first?

Soldato
Starship Troopers 1 - Fantastic film, might watch it again actually
Starship Troopers 2 - Errrrr what the hell was this pile of trash?!

Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles (CGI from sky one) - Again fantastic

I havn't read the book so I can't comment on that.

I really don't understand why a proper sequel wasn't made.

Back
Top Bottom