Starting electric guitar.

Man of Honour
Because he talks about the basics and fundamentals that everyone should learn.
He does, but somebody who is just starting guitar is going to want to nail how to switch between D and G, not how to alternate pick efficiently.

I can't think of a single Paul Gilbert lesson I would recommend to an absolute novice.

I'm guessing you've not looked at many Paul Gilbert lessons then?

Yes, you could say that I'm... slightly familiar :D

Permabanned
He does, but somebody who is just starting guitar is going to want to nail how to switch between D and G, not how to alternate pick efficiently.

I can't think of a single Paul Gilbert lesson I would recommend to an absolute novice.

Yes, you could say that I'm... slightly familiar :D

Ah well, I'm just basing it on my own experiences, I suppose I kinda did jump in the deep end when I started, I had no motivation to learn the easy stuff as I found it incredibly boring. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Definitely get some lessons with a teacher, even if it's short term, you can learn by yourself, but how successful you are with this can be kind of hit and miss. As you're a beginner; a teacher's job should be to present you with material which makes you improve as a player relative to your own goals, efficiently and while keeping it fun all at the same time. You can waste a lot of time and effort researching how to do certain very basic things (hold a pick, sit with the guitar, fret individual notes, fret chords, other advanced techniques) and thus create even more frustration when you start learning songs that are potentially too difficult.

So, yeah, get a teacher, and this tuner: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/korg-ca-30/3552

Soldato
^^ I got the above tuner when I first picked up a 2nd hand guitar many years ago and it's still here doing it's job now!

I tune by ear most of the time, but it's so quick and easy for re-tuning/having an alternative setup etc.

Certainly the best and most useful thing I bought for learning guitar :)

Back
Top Bottom