Starting swimming, any advice?

Soldato
always apply the anti-fog inside, a while before, so it dries, usually put just a couple of drops (taking top off of spray bottle) and using finger tip. ..
one bottle last for many years. ... pity the goggle skirts only last a couple

Soldato
I've yet to find anything that works reliably, usually wipe a small layer of johnsons baby shampoo over the lenses before a swim, some days it works really well, others not so much, have tried several anti-fog solutions and none of them has worked even half as well. I have longish eyelashes too so I generally wear through the pre-applied stuff in a new pair of goggles in a few weeks :/

Underboss
always apply the anti-fog inside, a while before, so it dries, usually put just a couple of drops (taking top off of spray bottle) and using finger tip. ..
one bottle last for many years. ... pity the goggle skirts only last a couple

ah, thanks for that

i got a new one, for when my current one runs out (going from like a pen type to a spray)

so would putting in on at home, say 2 hours before you get into the pool be ok ?

Soldato
I
so would putting in on at home, say 2 hours before you get into the pool be ok ?
I put it on the night before, so I don't forget ... well, later this evening - lol
the spray bottle has an internal atomiser tube I just dot that a couple of times on each lense, and spread with finger.

Associate
Anyone find they get hand cramps whilst swimming? I've had it a couple times now in my left hand, wonder if it's down to doing too much or dehydration perhaps. I normally take a drink with me but may try an extra one before the swim too

Soldato
YES !

I am now moving UP to the next class !!!
4th move now
will be hitting ADVANCE course next term (after 4 weeks)
I am REALLY PLEASED and HAPPY

Nice :D
Anyone find they get hand cramps whilst swimming? I've had it a couple times now in my left hand, wonder if it's down to doing too much or dehydration perhaps. I normally take a drink with me but may try an extra one before the swim too
Only after a decent distance and usually in feet or calves, might be too much tension in your hand maybe?

Associate
Nice :D

Only after a decent distance and usually in feet or calves, might be too much tension in your hand maybe?

Cheers, I tend to do about 2-2.5k per session and it comes and goes. I thought it may be tension too so I'll keep a mind on it next time and see if it helps with a slightly relaxed/open fingers.

On another note, anyone use/recommend paddles? I never used them when I was much younger and swimming at county level but see quite a few folk using them now and apparently they can be good for building upper body. Gather they take a while to get used too and probably not a good idea yet with the hand cramps

Underboss
I can only manage 550m at the moment, but I think it might be tention , maybe your stretching your fingers out too much and your bending them back ever so slightly
I get cramps in my feet occasionally I know that's down to tention, wrong feet position

We used some hand floats last night, cant find them online, they are round with a hole in the middle for your thumb , they were brilliant, want to buy some

Associate
I can only manage 550m at the moment, but I think it might be tention , maybe your stretching your fingers out too much and your bending them back ever so slightly
I get cramps in my feet occasionally I know that's down to tention, wrong feet position

We used some hand floats last night, cant find them online, they are round with a hole in the middle for your thumb , they were brilliant, want to buy some

I think you're right, i'm going to up the electrolytes a few hours before and see how that helps too. Think I'll give the paddles a go too. If anyone else has a recommendation on those that'd be great

Soldato
Cheers, I tend to do about 2-2.5k per session and it comes and goes. I thought it may be tension too so I'll keep a mind on it next time and see if it helps with a slightly relaxed/open fingers.

On another note, anyone use/recommend paddles? I never used them when I was much younger and swimming at county level but see quite a few folk using them now and apparently they can be good for building upper body. Gather they take a while to get used too and probably not a good idea yet with the hand cramps

I've tried webbed gloves, really work your shoulders, weirdly don't seem to go much faster. I've read bad idea to use them a lot as can damage joints.

Back
Top Bottom