Starting swimming, any advice?

Soldato
some new/old videos on using resistance bands, for stroke practise
now ordered some of the green cord ... the purpose built are 90" , so 5M should be fine, and will DIY the handle, and clamp it at the top of a door,
may get some nylon thimbles for the ends .

I'm thinking of getting a meter or so of the green , to try out for stroke exercise. 3-5Kg of pull effort sounds about right ? should be ~£10
the purpose built (more expensive) stetcordz, and finis ones, in medium, are also, coincidentally:) green

Dry Land Swimming - Stretch Cords Training and Technique | AIMP Coach
Swim Stroke Training with Resistance Bands
Swim Speed Secrets Tubing Drill

Soldato
finally got some green, resistance cord /MSD . I had not expected it to be hollow. .. are they all ?

but was happy to find you can just hook it around a conveniant article, and it doesn't slip,
also, just wrapping it around your hands, it grips them fine, so don't see any need for diy handles,
or, even, knotting it.
(handles could, also, do some damage if you inadvertently let go)

will be interesting to see how long it lasts

49840431286_aea15d06c5_o_d.jpg

bus, if they are mandated ... but, it is a false prophylactic  (maybe we should have a referendum on masks, or, HP petition

Soldato
Some discussion on radio 4 about outdoor wild swimming locations 'opening' .. nothing about pools
( talked about https://www.stoneycove.com/open-water-swimming.html )

but women speaking was talking about wearing a wet suit ..this time of year anyway - 64 K$ question does it feel the same -
have never worn a wet suit, but don't you loose the tactile pleasure aspect of feeling the water ?
not sure how much it costs either.

Associate
Swimming in a wetsuit is definitely different and in many ways easier as more buoyant. If you have never done wild swimming you probably do want a wetsuit to start with, but you don’t ‘have to’ and many people who’ve done a lot might not. you need to get used to it as cold shock can be at best horrid and worst very dangerous

Soldato
Interesting article on r4 today, this morning, with Duncan Goodhue(ew) - re: pool swimming.

Discussing that distancing in the changing rooms, or poolside, is the problem, and not concerned by aerosol during swimming, from, either person coming the other way on lanes, or overtaking !
Unless they impose wider lanes, and no overtaking, can't see how it can be done ? I can usually tell if people ate garlic last night.

Soldato
I was reading an article last night that was saying no changing room access so you'll have to arrive ready to swim and it was also talking about a 3 meter separation but went on to say five people in a lane, not quite sure how wide they think most lanes are but clearly they've never been lane swimming.

Soldato
In other news, I caved and ordered some Aftershokz Xtrainerz (I am trying really hard to ignore the ridiculous name!!!) which should be with me tomorrow, will obviously let you all know my thoughts on how well they work in the pool when we are allowed back in :)

Soldato
Soldato
First impressions, quality build, lovely device that definitely looks and feels premium which is just as well at £140 (I managed to snag one for £115 though), sound certainly better than I was expecting given all that I had read about them and I look forward to getting out on my bike tomorrow to see how they fare with that, they feel absolutely rock solid when in place and other than having an accident I can't see them coming off at all, definitely makes me feel that there will be no issues with them in the pool, hugely comfortable in comparison to normal headphones too. It's quite an odd sensation of being able to hear them but still have your ears open to the world.

My only minor gripe is the charger, it's got a pathetically short cable and I'd have preferred either a longer one or to have had the cable separate to the charger, I mean it's not really an issue, just something that doesn't work well with my available charging ports :)

Soldato
so will the Aftershokz 'support' go beneath a goggle strap, or below, it between strap and ear top ?

https://www.covid19.qld.gov.au/__da...d-Aquatic-Centre-Industry-COVID-Safe-Plan.pdf

Adults patrons have the following restrictions: - Indoor and Outdoor pools: capacity limited to a maximum of 1 person per 10 square metres of water surface area. - Booking/Allocation systems will be in place to record details of patrons - All indoor areas: capacity limited to a maximum of 1 person per 4 square metres of indoor space. - Outdoor Open Area Space limited to groups of 20 people for outdoor sporting-based activities, with no more than one person per 4 square metres and social distancing. - Group Management all groups limited to 20 people, venue capacity limits and social distancing observed between groups. - Buffer zones: a buffer zone will be enforced between areas with children and adults to avoid contact or mingling between groups whilst swimming.
a buffer zone will be enforced between areas with children and adults to avoid contact or mingling between groups whilst swimming. - In the case of squads who have a mixture of school age minors and adults. These squads will need to be segregated so that swimmers who are 18 years or older are not swimming in the same squad as school age children.

so 4 lanes in the 25m pool 6 people in each. ..... people will need to start looking where they are swimming for safe overtakes.

Soldato
so will the Aftershokz 'support' go beneath a goggle strap, or below, it between strap and ear top ?

Having just tried them on with my goggles any of the above will work I think, the 'support' is so small that it happily fits whichever way, I suspect that after a few laps it'll likely settle to be between the ear and goggle strap rather than head and strap though.

Used them on a ten mile bike ride yesterday, mixture of road and off road with some fast downhill sections and was very happy with them, so nice to have music and still be able to hear cars coming, other bikes and being able to say hello to other riders/walkers without needing to take them off, zero performance issues, not once did I feel they were coming off, happily wore sunglasses at the same time.

Edit: Image showing them compared to my Speedo Vanquisher 2.0 goggles strap.

hOjjqSf.jpg

so 4 lanes in the 25m pool 6 people in each. ..... people will need to start looking where they are swimming for safe overtakes.

Be interesting to see what my pool does as 6 people in a lane is what I consider to be packed and generally only gets that busy either early mornings or at lunch time, quite often only a couple of people in a lane and fairly common to have a lane to myself if I time it right :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Article during the week r4, corroborating the 25 people in a pool,

to my mind the social distancing requirement is different under exercise, with more powerful respiration, so even if they somewhow explain away going to 1m, for social, there needs to be a separate sports distance.

Poor goggles .. noticed they have weapt silicon oil due to lack of use.

EDIT: pleased I didn't spend much on dry cords , the feeling is just too artificial , so have not really used them ... no hip rotation etc.

Soldato
Well my local pools are still closed with no definitive date for reopening, apparently the local council are responsible for the delay :(

Soldato
Pool opened yesterday, was reasonably busy but certainly not overly so. They split the pool into two big lanes and the fast side only had three of us in it. 50 minute sessions only and that includes time to change start and finish, so not a huge amount of time for swimming. You can book two sessions back to back but they still make you get out between which seems a bit daft, though could just be down to life guard rotation, not sure as it was only the first day they were open. Hopefully they might change it upon feedback. My actual swim was far better than expected and I managed 1.5km and I'm not even sore today which is quite a surprise as I was expecting far less distance and far more pain, felt really good to be back in the water :D

Back
Top Bottom