Status of teamocuk.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Hi all,

As I'm sure some of you will remember, I had planned to move teamocuk.co.uk to one of Biffa's servers. Unfortunately that project didn't really get very far due to issues moving the data around, so I left it to rot (at my expense, I may add). However, the server I'm currently using will reach end of life in November so that has rather forced the issue.

However, from looking around it looks like the majority of BOINC projects that we were active in are either idle or shut down (including SETI@home, surprise!). The big money these days is in Folding@home for understandable reasons (COVID), which I don't support.

That leads me to one big question - should I just turn the site off, or should I have another go at migrating it?

Thoughts very welcome, assuming anyone is still here!

Man of Honour
I just recently took down the VM matey. Have been looking at some cheap VPS Linux hosting recently, perhaps that would work for the site?

Man of Honour
OP
No worries - I could never get OpenVPN to work reliably and in the end other things took my mind off it so I gave up.

I do theoretically have capacity to host it from home these days thanks to upgrading my broadband setup, but I really need to get a quieter server! I'd be interested in getting a cheap VPS anyway for my own use, but hosting the whole site on one would be trickier.

Main problem is whether there's any demand to keep the site alive. Apparently it still gets 1500 visits per day, but I'm not sure who by!

Associate
I can donate server hardware and drives if required ,I have some 2U supermicro chassis with either quad core or dual 6 core xeons
Have some 2TB sas drives that will fit with raid hardware to match.
Also have a 1u G34 supermicro unit but that's not exactly quiet:)

Man of Honour
OP
All hardware donations gratefully received! :)

In all seriousness, I already have a 1U Dell rack server that would be capable. It's a year older than the current server but has more cores and memory, so it would be fine. Trouble is, while it's bearable at idle, it gets LOUD fast! 2U should be less loud (bigger fans), but given that I don't have a cabinet, I'd rather get rid of rackmount servers entirely than add more.

It's also looking like there's virtually no interest on here. Two people have replied (I don't do DC stuff any more) and there have been a few hundred views. Given that the site is going to need a fair amount of work to move, and more to make it useful again (only three projects still work), I suspect it's time to send it to the gallows. I'll give it until the end of September and see if anyone begs for clemency!

It was fun while it lasted. Expensive fun, but fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom