steam 'hack' doing the rounds at the moment

Soldato
Beware of people on your steam friends list asking you to vote for their CS:GO (or some other game) clan via a website. The site is set up to pretend to login via steam, but is actually stealing login details. A few people I know have been caught out.

Someone tried it on me from a hacked account and it was a fairly convincing chat conversation until I saw the site wanted me to login - at which point my scam alert triggered.

I gather its not a new scam, but hadn't seen it in person before.

Soldato
Yeah I had that convo and it was believable until the moment it asked me to log in with my steam account I just blocked and reported the profile as hacked.

A few days later I checked and my friend had his profile restored so I unblocked him.

Associate
I had one from someone on my Discord who got hacked with a similar scam. They sent a link that was something like "steancomunnitiycom.ru", the link was obvious but the little intergration thing Discord has (where is gives you a preview style thing of the link" looked like a genuine "Steam Community **PROFILE NAME**" thing on. That was made to look like it was to trade CS:GO skins.

I will update with a screenshot if I still have it.

Glad I look at links before clicking.

Soldato
I don't speak to anybody on steam so hopefully I am good.

Me Neither, there was a spate of hackers adding themselves to your friends list a few years ago before Steam Guard one even managed to break into my account via the friends list but I managed to block him out and since then I dont have a public profile and my friends list is closed off only have my brother and kids on it. That was a bit scary the somehow managed to add them to your friends list without you doing anything then managed to go to the forgot password links and get in that way. Luckily I had email security on at the time.

Associate
Enable Steam Guard two-factor authentication problem solved. Relying on a password for anything is so 2010.
At least the 2FA on Steam actually works.
Every time I try to set it up on Ubisoft, the activation email arrives after 6 minutes. The valid activation has to be done within 4 minutes.. :rolleyes::D

Soldato
Enable Steam Guard two-factor authentication problem solved. Relying on a password for anything is so 2010.

This, I work for a industry leading CIAM SSO platform and it's scary how out of date a lot of systems are. The sooner we adopt MFA and go passwordless, the better. But people are scared and not educated enough on the subject.

Associate
Just curious, what do they do with hacked account? Play all your games?

Its not only that, think of how much money people spend on the games on their steam account and all the progression within the games (cloud enabled ones anyway) its quite a lot to lose when you think about it. Think of the money it would take to get all them games again, and there is a possibility some of the games you have arent on Steam anymore.

Soldato
Just curious, what do they do with hacked account? Play all your games?

A lot, if not most accounts have cards added to them so they can data mine those numbers, not only that, but for example, my Amex card on my account doesn't even ask for the secure code anymore so someone could buy a tonne of games and gift them and sell them on key sites.

Associate
I don't talk to anyone using Steam's chat, so I know if I get any messages on there it'll be either spam or a scammer.
Anyone I talk to on my friends list will usually message via Discord/WhatsApp.

Soldato
A lot, if not most accounts have cards added to them so they can data mine those numbers, not only that, but for example, my Amex card on my account doesn't even ask for the secure code anymore so someone could buy a tonne of games and gift them and sell them on key sites.

Fair enough. I never use chat but i think i will set up 2FA.

Back
Top Bottom