*** Steam / HL2 / Source FAQ ***

Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by Snow-Munki

not desperate at all, will probably get it nearer the end of november :eek:

You may get it sooner when there are huge amount of threads with "OMG OMG OMG HL2 R0X!" in them etc :)

that's what I predict anyway.

Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by Chevens
i wonder will we have any half life 2 is too bright threads.. or is anyone going to make a sunglasses mod... :p

That in relation to Doom 3 being too dark ? :) I find Source rather dark for me, but I just superbright it when needed :)

Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by Duradrum
HI, not sure if this has been covered but:

Can I pre load it via steam, then use the retail version to activate it?

I'm pretty sure you can yes, as the retail data is going to be similar to the preloaded files. No harm in trying anyway, just enter the code in the box.

Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by chucky
I have never registered/installed steam can i install it now and get all the updates for when i get my game to save time?

What you can do, is install Steam, register an account, then Download the HL2 preload.

Then, when you get HL2 from the shops, instead of putting the DVD in the drive, all you'll have to do is press "Browse Games" and select the option "Register a game I already Own", enter your HL2 CD-Key, then as long as it's past 8AM GMT, you'll be able to unlock your HL2 content and play it.

Soldato
I need to ask a question about HL2. I have been informed that you need an Internet connection to play the game? My Nephew has pre-ordered HL2 but doesn't have the Internet at home, so does this mean he will have spent £19.99 for nothing?

Soldato
Originally posted by mysticsniper
I need to ask a question about HL2. I have been informed that you need an Internet connection to play the game? My Nephew has pre-ordered HL2 but doesn't have the Internet at home, so does this mean he will have spent £19.99 for nothing?

yes, unless you do something shocking and say get an ultra cheap modem, dial a pay per minute style number register then remove said modem? :)

Soldato
Originally posted by VaderDSL

yes, unless you do something shocking and say get an ultra cheap modem, dial a pay per minute style number register then remove said modem? :)

Isn't that soo wrong assuming that everyone has an internet connection. Bang out of order :mad:

Man of Honour
OP
Isn't that soo wrong assuming that everyone has an internet connection. Bang out of order :mad:

Can't do anything about it i'm afraid. It's in the System requirements for the game. Only thing you can do is take the PC to somewhere with an internet connection, install it, and then take it back home. Question is now anwsered in the FAQ.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Sure, I understand the threat from warez, but why isn't there another option like phoning throught for a code or somthing :(

Because the retail version is the same as the current preload available on steam, it needs to be decrypted/unlocked by steam, meaning something rather complicated would be needed to decode it.

I know it's bad, but it seems valve care more about its online community than those who aren't going to use it online. Those people online are more likely to play half-life 2 for years to come, like HL1.

Soldato
Originally posted by DaveyD

I know it's bad, but it seems valve care more about its online community than those who aren't going to use it online. Those people online are more likely to play half-life 2 for years to come, like HL1.

Its a crying shame for quite a lot of people, and come Tuesday when everyone tries to register Hl2, the system is bound to go into meltdown :(

Soldato
Its a crying shame for quite a lot of people, and come Tuesday when everyone tries to register Hl2, the system is bound to go into meltdown :(

I'm placing my bets on steam coping :) I am sure they know how many people roguhly will buy/register the game and I am sure they'll have the bandwidth to cope.

At least I pray to all the gods that they will

Associate
QUESTION*****

is half life 1:source

the original half life with the half life 2 engine and graphics? And can I only get this with the silver package upwards on steam?

Back
Top Bottom