Steam/Origin, Downloading via NAS Question...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
My Synology NAS is sitting next to my router and therefore has access to my full download speeds of circa 950Mbps. My PC is connected via powerline to that same router so is only able to download at around 100Mbps based on where it is located.

Is there a way where I can use the Synology NAS as a proxy so I am using that as the route for the download, which I can then move to the PC when it is done? I am thinking about games specifically via Origin and Steam, which are large files of many gigabytes and controlled via their apps running on my PC.

I can set the NAS up as a steam/Origin drive of course, but because I am downloading via their apps running on the PC, I believe I am restricted to the speed the PC can download at, rather than the storage device the file is ending up on (the NAS) as it downloads.

Am I correct on this and is there a way around this where I can gain access to my full download speeds on games?

Cheers
Housey

Soldato
Wouldn't it still take the same time to get the files to the PC?

If your plan worked, the download (to the NAS) would finisher sooner but you'd still be moving the files to the PC at your restricted Powerline speed. How does the download finishing sooner help?

Man of Honour
OP
Wouldn't it still take the same time to get the files to the PC?

If your plan worked, the download (to the NAS) would finisher sooner but you'd still be moving the files to the PC at your restricted Powerline speed. How does the download finishing sooner help?
Ah yes, I might have underthought this :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom