1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam / Origin licenses question

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by ic1male, 13 Feb 2018.

Tags:
  1. ic1male

Caporegime

So I recently bought "Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition" when it was on sale on Steam. Mainly for the big expansion pack. Gave it a play of all about 20 minutes and thought I can't be arsed with this so got a Steam refund. But perhaps a bit naughty of me, I added the key displayed in Steam to Origin and the game got added to my library there.

That was about a month ago. Now today I've come to add Dead Space (currently free on Origin) and lo! Dragon Age has disappeared.

How is this even possible? How can Steam revoke a game from my Origin library?

2. skyripper

Wise Guy

When you return a game to Steam, they pass the cost of the refund onto the game publisher. Presumably they also send them the steam key. It was probably Origin that removed your DA:O key not Steam.

3. pestt

Wise Guy

I think as it's a Steam game it just stops there. All Origin is doing is being a conduit. Once Steam deletes it, it's deleted everywhere.

4. L0new0lf

Associate

Shame you didn't give the game a little longer, it's one of the best RPG's ever made.

5. ic1male

Caporegime

Yes I agree. It's been many years since I played the base game (which is still in my Steam library and I loved it loads) but I just couldn't get to grips with the controls after such a long break. I'm so used to playing with controller now that mouse and keyboard feels alien to me. Plus I don't have the ideal setup for it - balancing a keyboard on one knee and a mouse and pad on the other isn't ideal for long RPGs. :D

6. WantoN

Capodecina

I played on PS4 with a controller and loved it. Couldn't you use a controller for your PC.

Steam link is brilliant

7. ic1male

Caporegime

DA:O doesn’t natively support controllers on PC. I could try Steam Big Picture mode but I have no idea how that would work as there are loads of icons and menus to click about on the game.

8. WantoN

Capodecina

Ah man that's a shame. Sounds like it would be a ball ache.

Poor PC porting is bad enough without not even inheriting controller support.

9. ic1male

Caporegime

Lol, no. It’s the other way round. Dragon Age Origins was a PC game first.

10. NZXT30

Wise Guy

lol I've heard it all regarding ports now.

11. WantoN

Capodecina

If I'm wrong I'd love to be educated as to why fella, feel free.

12. NZXT30

Wise Guy

Like ic1male said it was a pc game first so designed for keyboard and mouse. When you see controller support on an isometric RPG is when you should worry.

13. WantoN

Capodecina

I'm not sure I'd ever worry about controller implementation for a game, but thanks for informing about development for pc, good to know.

As I said I loved it on PS4 and it's a real shame they didn't implement full controller support on PC as the OP may have been able to enjoy what is a brilliant game.

14. x-st

Wise Guy