Steam / Origin licenses question

Caporegime
So I recently bought "Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition" when it was on sale on Steam. Mainly for the big expansion pack. Gave it a play of all about 20 minutes and thought I can't be arsed with this so got a Steam refund. But perhaps a bit naughty of me, I added the key displayed in Steam to Origin and the game got added to my library there.

That was about a month ago. Now today I've come to add Dead Space (currently free on Origin) and lo! Dragon Age has disappeared.

How is this even possible? How can Steam revoke a game from my Origin library?

Associate
When you return a game to Steam, they pass the cost of the refund onto the game publisher. Presumably they also send them the steam key. It was probably Origin that removed your DA:O key not Steam.

Associate
I think as it's a Steam game it just stops there. All Origin is doing is being a conduit. Once Steam deletes it, it's deleted everywhere.

Associate
So I recently bought "Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition" when it was on sale on Steam. Mainly for the big expansion pack. Gave it a play of all about 20 minutes and thought I can't be arsed with this so got a Steam refund. But perhaps a bit naughty of me, I added the key displayed in Steam to Origin and the game got added to my library there.

That was about a month ago. Now today I've come to add Dead Space (currently free on Origin) and lo! Dragon Age has disappeared.

How is this even possible? How can Steam revoke a game from my Origin library?

Shame you didn't give the game a little longer, it's one of the best RPG's ever made.

Caporegime
OP
Shame you didn't give the game a little longer, it's one of the best RPG's ever made.

Yes I agree. It's been many years since I played the base game (which is still in my Steam library and I loved it loads) but I just couldn't get to grips with the controls after such a long break. I'm so used to playing with controller now that mouse and keyboard feels alien to me. Plus I don't have the ideal setup for it - balancing a keyboard on one knee and a mouse and pad on the other isn't ideal for long RPGs. :D

Soldato
Yes I agree. It's been many years since I played the base game (which is still in my Steam library and I loved it loads) but I just couldn't get to grips with the controls after such a long break. I'm so used to playing with controller now that mouse and keyboard feels alien to me. Plus I don't have the ideal setup for it - balancing a keyboard on one knee and a mouse and pad on the other isn't ideal for long RPGs. :D

I played on PS4 with a controller and loved it. Couldn't you use a controller for your PC.

Steam link is brilliant

Caporegime
OP
DA:O doesn’t natively support controllers on PC. I could try Steam Big Picture mode but I have no idea how that would work as there are loads of icons and menus to click about on the game.

Soldato
DA:O doesn’t natively support controllers on PC. I could try Steam Big Picture mode but I have no idea how that would work as there are loads of icons and menus to click about on the game.

Ah man that's a shame. Sounds like it would be a ball ache.

Poor PC porting is bad enough without not even inheriting controller support.

Soldato
Like ic1male said it was a pc game first so designed for keyboard and mouse. When you see controller support on an isometric RPG is when you should worry.

I'm not sure I'd ever worry about controller implementation for a game, but thanks for informing about development for pc, good to know.

As I said I loved it on PS4 and it's a real shame they didn't implement full controller support on PC as the OP may have been able to enjoy what is a brilliant game.

Back
Top Bottom