1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam - Payments?

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by no_1_dave, 2 May 2006.

1. no_1_dave

Soldato

Anyway to buy games on Steam if you dont have a credit card?

Paypal?
    Solo?
    Anyone?

:(

2. Wee

Gangster

I have a strong feeling it's only debit/credit card. Maybe wrong though.

3. Phil99

Capodecina

I paid with a Visa Debit and it appeared to work if that's any help

4. no_1_dave

Soldato

Dont mind switch/solo but Visa/Mastercard only is **** :(

5. DaveyD

Man of Honour

It's an international system, so there's less liklihood of smaller card types working.

You've always got retail, which is nearly always cheaper if you get the right games. What were you looking at buying? If it's Episode One, you'll be saving ~£4-6 buying on Steam compared to retail, so that's one of the few times you do save on Steam.

6. no_1_dave

Soldato

Was thinking episode 1 etc. There seems to me games in the line up to be distributed via steam.

7. earlyflash

Gangster

Steam is Credit Card only (this includes Visa Debit).

They are also expensive in the UK compared to the retail versions. Some of the bigger retailers, you know who, had HL2 for 24.99, which was cheaper than the equiv on steam. I'm sure the same will be true for Ep1/Sin Eps.

EF

Last edited: 3 May 2006
  8. Socaddict

Wise Guy

Actually, HL2 GOTE on steam is US$29.95 + tax

once you factor in the currency conversion, this is about £20.

Steam is cheaper in almost all case.

9. thor

Wise Guy

I purchased Half-Life 2 when it first came out from a high street store for £27.99, then 10% student discount off that. I thought this was cheaper than the Steam alternative but I'm pretty sure the Steam version also gave you Half-Life: Source which I would've quite liked.

10. DaveyD

Man of Honour

No it's not. You only get Half-Life 2 on Steam for $29.95, nothing else. You don't even get Counter-Strike: Source or HL2: DM with the basic Half-Life 2 package on Steam.

You need to get the Source Premier Pack to get the GOTY Equivalent, and that's $59.95, which is >£33.

Last edited: 3 May 2006
  11. DaveyD

Man of Honour

You got quite a bit extra if you bought the Half-Life 2: Silver package for £40. Compared to £27 retail in the shops. But you got so much more than the simple Bronze package, which was <£30, and equivalent to retail.

In silver you got DoD:Source, HL1:Source, plus every Half-Life 1 engine game, which are worth well over £30 on their own.

12. clapton is god

Wise Guy

i got h/life 2 through the old ati voucher offer and i hesitated for a long time about upgrading to the silver package and now i'm glad that i did.
    now i wonder why those bronze /silver packages are now over ?????

13. DaveyD

Man of Honour

As Valve updated the Steam purchasing system to allow you to buy individual games, instead of having to buy things as a package. Thus making them more money on packages.

14. Last Kronin

Mobster

I tired to buy Day of defeat Source off of steam when it came out, but there was no options for me to pay it so i sent a rather abrupt email to them asking why they didnt accept the UK debit cards, saying they were loosing out on alot of custom if the didnt implement it, got a reply bascially saying saying 'tough sh**, if u dont have a credit card' that made me quite :mad: so i decided to boycott all there products.

15. no_1_dave

Soldato

I'm going to email them too.
    I havent even completed half life 2 yet. Had it since release (bought the DVD). Only got to just after the beach, in the prison controlling those sand creatures. Got bored of it...

16. Parmesan

Wise Guy

My visa electron worked fine, think my solo card before did as well cant remember for sure.

17. kdd

Mobster

There are all *** steam games available retail at very discounted prices if you look around. My local game had day of defeat source for £7.99 and the standalone cs source with dod s included for 12.99.