Steelcase Please V2

Soldato
Does anyone here use one of these? It's in my price range (2nd hand refurb) but I'm finding it hard to locate many reviews. Also very few Youtube videos, very few being two.
I've found a few people on these forums mentioning it which is why I started looking at them. I would like to know what peoples opinions are. I currently have a chair that's 30 years old, that was bought for me second hand, much to say its done very well. I'm looking for something with better back support.

Soldato
Got the V1 and it's great, not really much though to say about a chair, basically everything is adjustable on the chair although I kinda wish it had a headrest.

Associate
I have a 2nd hand Please v2 with head rest.

I'm very pleased with it :D

Highlights are its very well made rock solid, easy to refurbish should the fabric need replacing and arguably has the best back system of any chair. Its also very gamer friendly in that you can easily attach peripheral devices to the arm rests and can slide the seat cushion forwards/backwards to give you more leg room should you need it (pedals, joystick etc)

Things to watch out for though are:
- not all Please chairs have the fully adjustable arm rests, that was an optional extra
- the head rest is mostly aesthetics I'm not sure it adds much comfort wise but does make the chair look nicer
- Steelcase do not sell spare parts to the public you have to go through a dealer or 2nd hand seller
- as with all 2nd hand chairs watch for the thickness/usage of seat cushion padding which will get compacted over time (can be refurbished though)
- remember refurbishing can simply mean new fabric and servicing, it might not mean new padding/foam etc

My advise is don't penny pinch, if you see a good chair and can try it or return it then don't sweat over £100 here or there, this chair will last you over 20yrs.

I did offer to do a side by side comparison with the top of the line Noble range, funnily enough I wasn't taken up on that offer :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies. I've found them on 2nd-hnd, they say the arms are the fully adjustable type. They are selling for £219 but I know I can get them down to £200 on ebay best offer.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies. I've found them on 2nd-hnd, they say the arms are the fully adjustable type. They are selling for £219 but I know I can get them down to £200 on ebay best offer.
I got mine with 2nd-hnd, the first came with a broken back support because of UPS being useless and ramming the box with a forklift, they are Essex based like me so they sent out a guy after the weekend (I think I got mine on the Friday, IIRC) and with his van brought in the new (refurbished) chair and replaced my broken one, no hassle whatsoever, got the V1 for under £130 and it's still good now.

Associate
Hi,
Sorry to hijack but I don't suppose anyone knows if it's possible to buy and retro-fit a headrest for the V2?
The lumbar support looks ideal but really need some type of neck support.

Associate
I did some research on this a while ago, basically Steelcase at the time of ordering supply a headrest fitted backrest and not the headrest as an individual part. Now I own a Please 2 with headrest and I'd say it would not be hard to do a DIY retro-fit but your problem is going to be finding the headrest part cos I doubt a Steelcase dealer will sell you one you'd need to ask a friendly 2nd hand dealer to scavenge the part.

Associate
I did some research on this a while ago, basically Steelcase at the time of ordering supply a headrest fitted backrest and not the headrest as an individual part. Now I own a Please 2 with headrest and I'd say it would not be hard to do a DIY retro-fit but your problem is going to be finding the headrest part cos I doubt a Steelcase dealer will sell you one you'd need to ask a friendly 2nd hand dealer to scavenge the part.
Took your advice and asked a few 2nd hand dealers with mixed response, was told by one that all headrests are a waste of time.
Tried a company called Whispers Office Furniture who were incredibly helpful even though I was only after a single chair.
It seems Steelcase only allow the supply of headrests at time of purchase which is a bit of a bummer as I’d kind of set my heart on the Please V2.
Anyway, ended up ordering a used RH Logic 400 from them which had every feature I wanted and more so worked out well in the end, thanks. :)

Soldato
OP
I finally ordered a Steelcase Please V2 from 2ndhnd. It should be arriving today, which is great since I only ordered it two days ago. I'm someone who get chronic lower back pain and sitting in a chair for 30mins makes the pain flair up. Fingers crossed and expect a full review...

Associate
I just came on OCF to post a Steelcase Please question.. might as well ask here.. Does anyone know how high the chair can go? Floor to seat measurement would be ideal. We have a weirdly high desk.

Soldato
I finally ordered a Steelcase Please V2 from 2ndhnd. It should be arriving today, which is great since I only ordered it two days ago. I'm someone who get chronic lower back pain and sitting in a chair for 30mins makes the pain flair up. Fingers crossed and expect a full review...
How are you getting on with the chair? Looking at getting one myself so any info would be appreciated.

Soldato
OP
Someone asked me how I'm getting on the the chair. So I wrote back. Thought I would post here as well, since there is not a lot to read online about the Please.

I like the chair quite a bit. Not really got much else to compare it to other than my 30 year old chair and an Ikea Marcus.

The chair has a lot of adjustment going on. Its a different kind of chair, it does not lock in a reclined position. So the chair moves with you, if you sit up straight from a reclined position the chair back follows you. There are 4 locking position of the back rest, this lock puts a limit on how far back you can recline.

The only problem I find is that the lower lumbar support is not quite rigid enough. It is separate from the upper back part and moves independently. There is a leaver to adjust the resistance of the lower back support but even at the tightest I find myself pushing the arms rests away from me (they are directly connected the the lower support movement) to get the lumbar support back to where I want it. Its not a big problem.

All in all its the best chair I have used and my back has improved in the short time I have had the chair, although that maybe just because its got better on its own.

I think the main thing with bad backs is to keep moving and this chair helps with that.

Also to add: I think I must have a longer than average spine or shorter Humerus bones. My elbows don't sit well on the arm rests, they would need to adjust a few inches higher to be comfortable for me. As with every other chair I sit on, that has arm rests, I have had to 'bump them up'. Made some foam cushions and tied them to the existing arms. Not the prettiest thing ever but it works.

2ndhnd were also great. The chair came with a bent coaster, I emailed 2ndhnd and within 24 hours I had another coaster delivered.

Associate
Headrest is a £150 extra on this model.I have been checking it out online but zero reviews on youtube.No where local to try it out before hand too sadly but I am concerned it just looks so uncomfortable,yes I am aware it is not designed for comfort but still £300 is still an investment and long gaming sessions would probably kill me on this chair.Would love to see a comparison with the Noblechairs Hero model, also somewhat on the stiff side by reports but looks much more comfortable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom