Poll: Steiermark Grand Prix 2020, Spielberg - Race 2/?

Rate the 2020 Austrian Grand Prix (2) out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
LlzBZnu.png
Spielberg
When was the track built?
The fearsome, original Osterreichring was originated in 1969 as a replacement for the Zeltweg airfield circuit. The track known today as the Red Bull Ring was more or less created over the winter of 1995-6, when Hermann Tilke was engaged to turn the Osterreichring into a shorter, more modern race track.

When was its first Grand Prix?
The A1-Ring, as it was then called, was opened in 1996, with Formula 1 arriving at the circuit a year later. Jacques Villeneuve won the race, while Jean Alesi had a spectacular crash when his Benetton climbed up the Ferrari of Eddie Irvine. Alesi’s team mate Gerhard Berger, meanwhile, used his home Grand Prix to announce his F1 retirement.

What’s the circuit like?
It’s only wee, bless it, but the Red Bull Ring packs a lot into a short lap. The first half rewards power, as the cars blast along three straights separated by a pair of uphill right-handers. But then as the drivers work their way downhill, the circuit becomes a regular toboggan ride, as the cars canyon through a series of quick corners, including the exhilarating Rindt right-hander, named for Austria’s first F1 champion.

TV Times
Sky:
Fk47Jma.png
C4:
Saturday - 6.30pm Qualifying Highlights
Sunday - 6.30pm Race Highlights

Track Diagram & Information
ZKqKwcX.png

Weather Forecast
IMovUZ7.png

2019 Race Highlights
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...ustrian-grand-prix.b69D26aHTi8k66SJVC6Jt.html

Practice 1
O5jN9km.png

Practice 2
92TG1fC.png

Practice 3
[Cancelled due to rain]

Qualifying
IEQAQF2.png

Race
NEsmPwg.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Back to back weekends at the same track gives an interesting opportunity on how much pace can be improved on data analytics alone.

Soldato
I'm going to predict that Bottas will get pole and the win, Hamilton quali second but have a horrid race. Ferrari will quali down the grid - maybe 10th and 11th.

Jokes aside, It's going to be interesting to see how the second weekend will differ in these back to back races. Especially for this race with the amount of failures and retirements last weekend, specifically for the Mercs with how they had to manage the car during the race.

Caporegime
I hope it rains. Otherwise this is just a bit strange.
Saturday is supposed to pour with rain, heavy thunderstorms predicted. Sunday is supposed to be dry though. Might mean a very strange Saturday if they keep red flagging the session due to rain, especially towards the end of each session.

Caporegime
Rain affected quali could create some interesting situations for the race. Looks like being a lot cooler on Sunday too, that could make quite a big difference in the race. Should keep things interesting.

I predict Hamilton for the win. He was way faster in the first race, and I think he'll make it count this time. Max to take second unless the Red Bull fails again.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

The weather forecast for last weekend showed mixed conditions and it was drier than Ghandi's flip flops, so I'm not reading much in to it just yet.

Caporegime
Hamilton just needs a good quali session. He is by far the fastest in the race. Rain in quali could help him.

I don't think so. On pace alone, Quali is a straight Bottas/Hamilton fight; he only needs to beat his teammate to get pole. Rain, on the other hand, tends to turn Quali into something of a crapshoot as it's all down to the luck of getting a lap in a the right time. That takes away from Mercedes' pace advantage and opens it up to a range of other drivers.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I'm hopeful of what RedBull can do as last weeks result was tainted a little bit, we didn't get to see where they could end up. Maybe Albon will get that podium this time! :D

Soldato
I'm going to predict that Bottas will get pole and the win, Hamilton quali second but have a horrid race. Ferrari will quali down the grid - maybe 10th and 11th.
I think Hamilton has already earned his horrid race badge.

Bottas was lucky to get the win, Hamilton was all over him. Therefore without the stewards, RB, or any sensors playing games Hamilton for a dominant win, especially if it rains.

Soldato
Hamilton just needs a good quali session. He is by far the fastest in the race. Rain in quali could help him.

I'm pretty sure i heard a stat during the race the other day that Bottas has lead the most laps of this track out of anyone so don't be too surprised if he wins again as he genuinely seems strong here.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure i heard a stat during the race the other day that Bottas has lead the most laps of this track out of anyone so don't be too surprised if he wins again as he genuinely seems strong here.
But he wasn't strong was he? Hamilton closed an eight second gap in what five laps after having to overtake places 4th and 3rd? How does that make Bottas strong? :confused:

Soldato
But he wasn't strong was he? Hamilton closed an eight second gap in what five laps after having to overtake places 4th and 3rd? How does that make Bottas strong? :confused:

Well yeah, he's qualified 1st here 3 times now and won it twice as well as lead the most laps. So i'd say he is pretty strong at this track? :confused: I mean i'm not his biggest fan but he's obviously doing something right here.

Soldato
FP1 and FP2 are going to be a waste of time to watch, but I am interested to see what teams will do in Quali and the Race. If they do the same the last week, they have to expect similar results, so they need to do something different.

I read Ferrari are bringing an update. They need it. They must have gone for a super crazy draggy car design last year thinking their engine would make up for it. Now they need to change that to efficient downforce.

This stuff always makes be laugh as when it is the other way around the saying changes to "oh Lewis was just managing he pace, and controlling the race"

After the safety cars Bottas put in two or three fastest laps. Before they were told things would be turned down. After the pit stops I think it was, Lewis didn't catch or pass him. This time around it might be different, but I don't think you can take anything away from Bottas last race.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Lewis has only won here once in the last 7 years, I believe. Bottas loves the track and often goes well, I think it’ll be a closer fight assuming reliability is sorted.

Back
Top Bottom